University of Twente – Faculty of Geo–Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
Department of Geo–information Processing
Hengelosestraat 99, PO Box 217, 7500AE Enschede, The Netherlands
Barend Köbben holds a MSc in Geography, specialising in Cartography. He is at present Senior Lecturer in GIS and cartographic visualisation. His teaching subjects include Cartographic Theory, WebCartography and WebGIS, Geo-webservices, web application building and 3D visualisation.
He participates in the research activities of the Research Theme STAMP (Spatio–Temporal Analytics, Maps and Processing). His main research interests are automated mapping in a services environment, animated vector map services, and VaaS (Visualisation as a Service). He was involved in various consultancy projects in The Netherlands, India, Iran, Italy, Malaysia, South Africa, Thailand and Zambia. He is Map Editor and member of the Editorial Board of Geografie (Journal of the Koninklijk Nederlands Aardrijkskundig Genootschap, ISSN 0926-3837).
- OSGeo Experience
- Treasurer of the Dutch Language OSGEO Chapter OSGEO.nl.
- Teaching short courses and workshops in Open Source GIS & WebMapping, promoting the use of the Open Source geospatial applications and data, and using the OSGEO LIve system.
- Member of the Local Organising Committee and Academic Track Chair of FOSS4G 2013 in Nottingham (UK).
- Academic Track Chair of FOSS4G 2014 in Portland (USA).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (work): +31-(0)53 4874 253
- Twitter: @barendkobben
- Spoken Language(s)
- English, Dutch, German, limited French.
- Profile last updated
- 10 June 2015