Face to Face Meeting Denver 2011

From OSGeo
Revision as of 13:59, 22 September 2011 by Tschaub (Talk | contribs) (spelling)

Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting

As many board members as possible (and potentially others contributing to OSGeo) are planning to meet all day September 18 in Denver after FOSS4G.

When and Where

  • Post FOSS4G 2011 in Denver, 18th Sept. 2011, full day (9AM to 5PM).
Ubisense office, 
1701 Wynkoop St, Unit #306, 
Denver, CO 80202
  • In Union Station - OSM - streetview from Wynkoop pub a block away
  • Venue includes projector, screen, wireless internet access
  • Lots of food and drink places nearby.

Planning to Attend

  1. Frank Warmerdam
  2. Arnulf Christl
  3. Jeff McKenna
  4. mpg
  5. Tim Schaub
  6. Daniel Morissette
  7. Peter Batty
  8. MarkL (via Skype)

Regrets: Jo, Tyler

Agenda

Meeting time: 09:00 to 17:00

  • welcome, intros
  • non-contentious business items
    • [done] Set the number of Charter Members that will be added this year.
    • [done] Review and hopefully approve MOU with ICA and SIGTE (Tyler)
    • [done] Accept resignation of Howard Butler as SAC chair and Alex Mandel as incoming SAC chair
    • [done] Accept resignation of FrankW as Incubation chair and DanielM as incoming Incubation chair
  • [done] 10:00 Invited speaker Peter ter Haar on sponsorship opportunities with the public administration
  • [done] Review officer/exec positions:
    • Treasurer, Secretary, President, others?
  • [done] executive session
  • [done] Talk about the idea to backup Code Sprint funding in general and specifically (see mpg's mails).
  • review of prior finances
    • revenue per quarter for the 5 years of our existence
    • expenses per quarter for the 5 years of our existence
    • pie-chart breakdown of where our revenue comes from (by fiscal year)
    • pie-chart breakdown of where our expenses go to (by fiscal year)
  • discussion of OSGeo mission, goals, go through the Forward list
  • discussion of funding model, revenue sources
  • Discuss uniting OSGeo and FOSS4G sponsorships
  • Media Sponsorship - very draft outline of idea (Tyler)
  • Develop a 2012 budget (see OSGeo Budget 2010)
  • Confirm place and date for next F2F meeting: April/May 2011
  • MOU with Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD)
  • other major topics, as time permits
  • Add items

Note: the "non-contentious business items" item is to quickly get out of the way any items that aren't expected to devolve existential or financial questions. If they do start to devolve into serious discussion, we should cut off debate and move them to end of meeting in hopes that the larger discussions during the day will shed light on them.

Note: as part of the mission/goals discussion, we should keep in mind topics like media sponsorship and code sprint funding as test cases. That is, have we stated our aims and intents for OSGeo such that the answers to the media sponsorship and code sprint funding questions can be readily determined? If so, then we have a good set of aims and intents.

Minutes

  • Meeting starts at 9:20
  • Attendance:
    • Arnulf Christl (meeting chair)
    • Frank Warmerdam
    • Jeff McKenna
    • Michael P Gerlek
    • Tim Schaub
    • Daniel Morissette
    • Peter Batty
    • Mark Lucas (via Skype)
  • Regrets: Jo, Tyler
  • Next F2F meeting March/April ?
    • Discussed the idea of having two F2F board meetings per year with flight & accomodation funded by OSGeo
    • We should try to find a location/date around another event
    • Mitigated support: some board members can hardly do one a year
    • Let's get back to this at a later time
  • New charter members election for 2011
    • Some want 10 new members per year, some want much more
    • Discussion of various options...
    • Motion to go with 20% new charter members for this year
      • All +1
  • Motion to approve the MOU with the International Cartographic Association (ICA).
    • All +1
  • Motion to approve the MOU with The GIS and Remote Sensing Centre, The University of Girona, Spain. (SIGTE)
    • Note that it is reported that the spanish chapter people are in favor
    • All +1
  • Motion to accept Alex Mandel as new SAC chair replacing Howard Butler.
    • All +1
  • Motion to accept Daniel Morissette as new Incubator chair replacing Frank Warmerdam
    • All +1
  • Discussion with Peter ter Har, Ordonance Survey on sponsorship opportunities with the public administration and the needs of sponsors
  • Review of officers/exec positions
    • President:
      • Arnulf remains president, +1 from all
    • Secretary:
      • Tyler remains secretary, +1 from all
    • Treasurer:
      • Motion: Daniel as new treasurer and chair of the finance committee, +1 from all
  • Finances:
    • Review and discussion of the past year's financial report
    • Income coming from a few direct OSGeo sponsors and indirectly from FOSS4G sponsors
    • Lack of a current budget
    • ED Salary is large vs revenues
    • Major loss in 2010 and 2011 - living off money from 3+ years ago
    • First tasks for the new treasurer:
      • TODO: Prepare budget for 2012
      • TODO: Research/find external book keeper/accountant
      • TODO: Move invoicing from Tyler to book keeper/accountant
      • TODO: Revive finance committee, clean up members list
      • TODO: Signing authority fix/update
  • ED Position
    • Discussion...
    • Three roles needed (to be filled by 1 person, or more?)
      • Administrative tasks
      • Project work (SAC, code sprints, etc.)
      • ED / ambassador:
        • Outreach
        • Fundraising
    • Proposed Plan:
      • Terminate current ED position over ~2 months
      • Board members to fill ambassador (OSGeo outreach) role with compensation TBD
      • This is short term (~6 months?, definitely less than 1 yr),
      • Actively look to fill ambassador role in coming months
    • Motion to terminate Tyler Mitchell's contract as of 2 months today (or as soon after based on legal considerations)
      • 6 x +1, 2 x zero
    • Motion: Allocate up to 6,000$USD for the rest of 2011, for travel and expenses for the ambassador (OSGeo outreach) role, to be approved at the discretion of the President and Treasurer jointly
      • All +1
  • Code Sprint Support
    • The February 2012 Seattle sprint needs 12k$ backup
    • MPG discusses a proposal for code sprint policy / guidelines
    • TODO: MPG to write policy in wiki to be reviewed at next meeting
    • Motion: To provide 12k$ financial guarantees to Feb 2012 Seattle Sprint, with any profit coming back to OSGeo to be used for a future NA sprint
      • All +1
  • Lunch time. Mark Lucas is gone for the rest of the day.
  • MOU with Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD / Africa)
    • They spoke to Frank and want someone to go on site in November to represent OSGeo and start discussions
    • Motion: Jeff and Tim to lead the RCMRD MOU effort and bring in other interested parties.
      • +1 from all
  • Motion to formally approve the Beijing FOSS4G 2012 recommendation from the conference committee
    • +1 from all
  • 3:30pm: Michael and Tim have to leave.
  • General discussions...
    • TODO: Peter to get in touch with GITA about administrative support (book keeping++)
  • GeoTools naming conflict
    • Motion: Board requests that the GeoTools project take reasonable action to meet the request of the other GeoTools product even though we do not know if we need to legally in order to avoid unnecessary bad feelings or conflict.
      • +1 from all
  • Motion to close the meeting at 16:55.
    • +1 from all