Here is a list of available metadata tools from the US Federal Geographic Data Committee.
Further FOSS metadata tools:
(you can try a bunch of these out with zero-install from http://live.osgeo.org)
- GeoNetwork (OSGeo project) - "GeoNetwork opensource implements both the Portal component and the Catalog database of a Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) defined in the OGC Reference Architecture. It provides tools for managing and publishing metadata on spatial data and related services."
- Mapbender (OSGeo project) - Mapbender is a geoportal framework to manage standard map and feature services providing all tools needed to edit, manage and publish associated metadata. Additionally Mapbender offers to create, maintain and publish virtual OGC WMS Capabilities servers, monitor services, and forward dynamically modified Capabilities documents through security proxies including user management and fine grained permissions.
- pycsw (OSGeo Labs project) - pycsw is an OGC CSW server implementation written in Python. pycsw allows for the publishing and discovery of geospatial metadata. Existing repositories of geospatial metadata can be exposed via OGC:CSW 2.0.2. (overview)
- MDweb - "MDweb is a generic, multi-language, multi-standard, multi-platform tool for cataloging and locating environmental information, and, by extension, geographical data. [...] The specifications adopted for the cataloging of geographical information are based on the ISO 19115 standard and conform to Open Geospatial Consortium specifications and European directives (INSPIRE directives)."
- MEtadata Editor (MEE™) is a powerful tool that create, edit and optimize metadata files in ISO19115, ISO19139 standard
- CatMDEdit is a metadata editor tool that facilitates the documentation of resources, with special focus on the description of geographic information resources.
- DCLite4G: simple method of representing some properties of geographic data sets. The vocabulary is defined in RDF and OWL. Example
- MIG EDITOR The MIG Editor is a geographical metadata editor that implements a subset of the 19115, 19119 and 19139 ISO formats. Based in the Portuguese Metadata Profile and INSPIRE requirements.
- JRC European Open Source Metadata Editor (EUOSME) - The European Open Source Metadata Editor (EUOSME) is a web application to create INSPIRE-compliant metadata in any of 22 European languages. It has been developed by the Joint Research Centre as part of the EuroGEOSS project.
- ANZMetLite is a windows based metadata entry forms for the metadata profile for Australian and New Zealand Information Council (ANZLIC).
Luca Casagrande commented:
"Don't know if this can help, but here: http://www.jornadasgvsig.gva.es/fileadmin/conselleria/Documentacion/3asJornadas/sesiones/sesion4/Gestion_metadatos_en_gvSIG.pdf
You can find the paper of "Semiautomatic extraction and management of metadata in gvSIG" presented during latest gvSIG conference."