2011 Unconference Set Up
Unconference March 31st and April 1st, 2011
The annual Open Source GIS unconference will be coordinated in conjunction with GIS In Action. There will be a Open Source GIS Smackdown on Tuesday at 10:30am right after the Keynote. In addition to the unconference, there will be additional presentations on Open Source applications through GIS in Action that are well worth checking out.
Portland State University, (45.5117, -122.6847) Smith Memorial Center Third Floor Rooms: 327, 328, 329, 333, and Vanport Room
How to Register
- Please use the Eventbrite website to register. This is helpful for getting a general headcount for snacks and refreshments.
- Register for the unconference at http://pdxgeounconference11.eventbrite.com/ --and feel free to pass on the link to anyone you think would be interested! Assure the uncertain that we welcome all, especially the curious.
- There is no fee; it is free.
- If you would like to sponsor the event by providing goods (food, beverages, office supplies, etc) or money for other expenses, that would be greatly appreciated.
March 31, 2011 Unconference
Unconference starts at 9am (intros, how-to, coffee) Sessions start at 9:30am
Potential Topics (this is where you chime in)
- Open Data
- Cascadia data NW Open Data
- gis.stackexchange.com, lightning talk?
- Desktop GIS Apps
- File GDB is open! * see Eli's statement
- Grassroots Mapping
- Japan/Libya Crisis Mapping, CUGOS discuss their OSM mapping on March 16th?
- Creating a GIS Intern Group for local governments
- State of Oregon Standards for Services kickoff meeting from 1:15 to 2:45ish - a fixed time for this is better since some people will be coming especially for this.
- Getting started with open source GIS tools for "data journalists" (telling stories with data on a deadline)
Session board at 12:45pm
|Time||Room 328||Room 333||Room 338|
|1:30pm-2:30pm||State of OR Services and Standards||QGIS Python Extensions|
|2:30pm-3:30pm||Open Street Maps HowTo||Getting started with 'R'|
|3:30pm-4:30pm||Building Minecraft Maps with USGS Data||Integrating OpenLayers with RGIS. GRASS. Geoserver Help|
April 1, 2011 April Fools' Hackathon
The Hackathon is OPEN. We're meeting at Backspace from 11am-2p. Submit your ideaz here.
- Crisis Camp Japan
- Documenting and How To's
- For people who don't want to do Hackathon activities, they could help with mapping the (Japan) crisis area for OpenStreetMap. See also, OSM wiki
- I've got a fairly complete open source GIS stack built as an openSUSE Linux appliance. It consists of R plus the R "Spatial" task view plus all of its dependencies (Proj4, Grass, GDAL, PostGIS) plus QGIS. But not all of us run openSUSE Linux - yet ;-). I'd like to see this stack ported to Windows and MacOS X. I can do Ubuntu and Fedora ports myself if anyone's interested, and I can help with the Windows port. The scripts are on Github at  and  if anyone wants to get a head start on this.
March 29, 2011
8:30am - Keynote 10:30a-12p - Smackdown see GIS In Action site for more info on the schedule.
Want to volunteer? Sure you do! See Google Spreadsheet for times you can volunteer.
Social Media - Following the Unconference
- Twitter aggregators - suggested tags: #GIA, #pdxosgeo
- Geoloqi - Log in with your Twitter ID or sign up: Geoloqi site
Google Group google email group
|What||How many||Have it/who||Comments|
|Name Tags||?||Rafa||Apparently, OR Conv. Ctr. has some. Trying for 100+|
|Markers||2-3||Yes, Eli will bring|
|Sticky notes (large)||2 pads||No|
|Masking tape||2-3 rolls||No|
|Scrap paper||1 stack||No|
|Dry erase board and markers||1-2||No||Do we really need this? This or foamcore|
We need an OSGeo Exhibition_Pack for conference booths. We can try borrowing CUGOS's.