PDXOSGEO - 2012 Portland Meetings
From OSGeo Wiki
(Redirected from PDX OSgeo 20120620 Meeting)
Lucky Lab - North Portland Tap Room Location Info
- Rod, Brian, Rob, Eli, Tanya, Wm, Darrell, Melanie, Madeline, Tim, Rafa, Scott, Ryan, Andy, Katie
Regular meeting business
(e.g., Upcoming GIS events/conferences, next meeting presenters or topics, discussions, updates, etc.)
- New Meeting Place - possibly meeting in different places each month.
- We no longer meet at Collective Agency
- We have several options that seem possible
- Wm's office (flightstats) potentially too, some receptiveness to moving around, Darrell's Office (Renewable Funding) next meeting, third Wednesday could let us have meetings in Nov and Dec,
- Conferences (NACIS, SOTM, WhereCamp, URISA)
- Wm presenting alternatives to Google maps at NACIS. Probably some leaflet stuff. Is anyone else interested in presenting longer workshop?
- Perhaps Trimet on OSM editing, styling, and OpenLayers.
- SOTM and WhereCamp same weekend (Oct. 13-14) at nearby venues.
- URISA - GIS-Pro 2012 in Oct too
Git, Github and affiliated tools - Darrell
- GitHub and the Git version control system, two tools at the heart of open source collaboration. Even if you're not a software developer this will be a great primer on what makes open source projects tick. Git veterans, bring your knowledge and stories of the wild west days of Subversion, CVS and dare I say it, Microsoft VSS.
- Version control ancient CVS, RCS
- Some newer ones too (some distributed). git came out of license change of bitkeeper.
- git, github, mercurial have really become popular lately.
- Demo: Creating new repo with the PostGIS table manager project Darrell presented a few months ago, adding to it, committing, edits, diffs, diffs between any commits, branch, checkout, merge, cherry-pick, view changes in git-x or others, push, fork, pull request, merge pull request,
Future meeting schedule for 2012 (every third Wednesday)
- July 18th
- August 15th
- September 19th
- October 17th
- November (typically canceled)
- December (typically canceled, or Winter Coders Social)