Board Meeting 2008 01 11

From OSGeo Wiki

(Redirected from Thirty Second Board Meeting)
Jump to: navigation, search

This board meeting has been scheduled for the 11th of January 2008 at 16:00 UTC (fixedtime), by phone and IRC (#osgeo) at the same time.

Communication will use the new Conference Call facilities.

Contents

Agenda

  • Appoint meeting secretary
  • Review and approve Thirty First Board Meeting minutes.
  • Review who needs to be an officer of the foundation (bylaws - see ARTICLE V Officers)
  • FOSS4G 2008 contracting and budget status review.
    • Apologies from PR for non-attendance performance
    • Getting current budget from '08 this week
    • Getting info from Tyler on 5013c issue WRT contract
    • Getting sponsorship update from Gavin this week
  • Approve hosting the Fusion project on OSGeo infrastructure (already approved by SAC).
  • Consider streamlining non-OSGeo project hosting procedure.
  • Discuss feasibility of the quite speculative Data Project Incubation idea (JoW)
  • Review and hopefully approve GeoTools/OSGeo contributors agreement, see draft and info page (cholmes)
  • Review Conflict Of Interest Policy (Tyler)
  • Review SPD Prioritization proposal for highlighting sponsors and contributors (deferred to next meeting pending discussion on discuss list).

Minutes

  1. Meeting started 16:07 UTC, met on conference call and in IRC
    1. Appoint meeting secretary: Frank chaired the meeting, Tyler scribed
    2. Roll call: Attending: Frank, Tyler, Markus, Arnulf, Chris, Jeroen, Jo
    3. Absent: Dave, Paul, Bob
  2. Review and approve Thirty First Board Meeting minutes.
    1. Frank motioned to adopt, Arnulf seconds, all were in favour.
  3. Review who needs to be an officer of the foundation (bylaws - see ARTICLE V Officers)
    1. Discussed who/what and what officers do
    2. TODO: Frank to follow up with Foundations mailing to discuss officers
  4. FOSS4G 2008 contracting and budget status review
    1. Apologies from PR for non-attendance performance
    2. Getting current budget from '08 this week
    3. Getting info from Tyler on 5013c issue WRT contract
    4. Getting sponsorship update from Gavin this week
    5. Finance committee to recommend budget when ready
  5. Approve hosting the Fusion project on OSGeo infrastructure (already approved by SAC).
    1. SAC has agreed to support it, now recommending it to the board for approval
    2. Arnulf explained background of the current SAC process
    3. MOTION: To approve the SAC proposal to host the Fusion project Frank moved, Arnulf seconded... all were in favour
  6. Consider streamlining non-OSGeo project hosting procedure.
    1. There was some discussion about this on the board list (Subject Motion regarding Systems Support...)
    2. Various ideas discussed. Suggest to give SAC more freedom to approve if there isn't any question from them about potential 'political' issues.
    3. Considering email voting system from board to give final word.
    4. MOTION: SAC will continue to refer the approvals to the Board via email, and will be accepted if answered by an email response of at least 5 votes of +1 from board members, Frank moved, Chris seconded, all were in favour
  7. Discuss feasibility of the quite speculative Data Project Incubation idea (JoW)
    1. Jo has presented the idea in a wiki page about taking the software incubation process and applying it to starting and approving Data focused projects
    2. Markus mentioned the OSGeo North Carolina education data set which could be a candidate to try the procedure of data incubation, and is already regularly maintained (i.e. not just a forming project)
    3. GeoData committee could handle the process, instead of incubation committee. It was suggested that licensing perspective would need to be ironed out by geodata committee too.
    4. Very positive generally supportive discussion
    5. Data volumes and working closely with Telascience.org would be needed as geodata projects have potential much large files issues than the software projects.
    6. Frank describing that many data projects wouldn't necessarily need full PSC-style management and Chris explained how there could be several levels of geodata projects.. similar to the simple SAC "hosting-only" projects vs incubating projects, etc.
    7. TODO: Jo will follow up with Geodata list for further discussion
  8. Review and hopefully approve GeoTools/OSGeo contributors agreement, see info page (cholmes)
    1. Chris provided some background of this process.
    2. Question about if governing jurisdiction (California) is important or not.
    3. This is first time that Geotools PSC and OSGeo legal council have a final agreement together. Substantial legal time spent on this review.
    4. MOTION: To adopt this contributors agreement as an official template for OSGeo projects to choose from., Chris moved, Arnulf seconded, all were in joyous favour at wrapping up this longstanding work.
    5. Any projects may choose to use this contributor agreement, and OSGeo officers can sign it on OSGeo's behalf.
    6. Official copy hosted at http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo/legal/ (GeoToolsAssignmentToOsgeo.*)
  9. Review Conflict of Interest Policy (Tyler)
    1. Agreed that it should apply more broadly than just staff, but also to Board, and that the final version will reflect this.
    2. MOTION: To adopt this as OSGeo's Conflict of Interest Policy, with above change, Frank moved, Chris seconded, all were in favour.
    3. TODO: Tyler will make changes as discussed and recirculate
  10. Review SPD Prioritization proposal for highlighting sponsors and contributors (deferred to next meeting pending discussion on discuss list).
    1. Frank deferred to next meeting

Other Items

  1. Legal Support
    1. Jeroen wondering how previous email discussion ended. There was general consensus in the thread, wondering if a concluding email may help to close/clarify the discussion.
  2. deegree Incubation Application
    1. Frank mentioned that deegree has applied.

Next Meeting date

  • Friday, February 1st ( 3 weeks )
  • Chris moved to close meeting, Arnulf second, all in favour
Personal tools