Board Meeting 2006 09 01
Communication will use the new Conference Call facilities.
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Minutes
- 2.1 Approval of Minutes
- 2.2 ED hiring status - a "taxing" situation
- 2.3 Foundation Sponsorship proposal
- 2.4 Discussion and Approval of India OSGeo Chapter
- 2.5 Discussion and Approval of Ottawa Chapter
- 2.6 OSGeo Logo
- 2.7 Status report on legal issue
- 2.8 Treasurers Report
- 2.9 Review topics for Face to Face Meeting Lausanne 2006
- 2.10 Proposed Membership Rules discussion
- 2.11 Other Business
- ED hiring status - a "taxing" situation
- Appoint meeting secretary
- Review and approve Sixteenth Board Meeting minutes
- Review and approve Foundation Sponsorship proposal from Fundraising committee.
- Discussion and Approval of India OSGeo Chapter.
- Discussion and Approval of Ottawa Chapter.
- Immediate action required on OSGeo Logo Use and technical solution
- Status report on legal issue regarding GeoTools copyright transfer to OSGeo
- Treasurers Report.
- Review topics for Face to Face Meeting Lausanne 2006 (open attendance in afternoon?)
- Restart Proposed Membership Rules to have a Membership Application
- Other Business
- Plan for future summary of OSGeo fiducial responsibilities. For example, we have to plan for limiting total financial input from any one entity to less than 1/3 over a three year period. What are the consequences of not meeting that objective? How do we monitor our progress? Informational briefing needed.
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE OPEN SOURCE GEOSPATIAL FOUNDATION A Delaware non-stock corporation.
On August 1st, 2006, at 15:00 UTC, pursuant to notice duly given, the Board of Directors (the "Board") of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (the "Foundation" or "OSGeo") held a meeting by teleconference. The meeting lasted sixty minutes.
Present at the meeting were the following members of the Board: Frank Warmerdam, Mark Lucas, Chris Holmes, Arnulf Christl, and Gary Lang. Laura Rivera was also present. All participants on the call indicated that they could hear one another. Additionally, Internet Relay Chat was used for backup purposes (#osgeo on irc.freenode.net). Mr. Lucas was appointed chairperson of the meeting. Finding a quorum present, Mr. Lucas called the meeting to order. Arnulf Christl was appointed secretary of the meeting.
Approval of Minutes
The Board deferred approving the Sixteenth Board Meeting minutes of the meeting held on 18th of August 2006 until they have been formatted.
ED hiring status - a "taxing" situation
Gary Lang indicated that the ED discussion went well and he keeps leading the effort. Discussion of common goals and objectives leading to success of OSGeo and the ED.
Foundation Sponsorship proposal
The proposal writeup from the Fundraising committee was reviewed and generally approved in order to be able to move forward. It was noted that details, minor changes and wording should be cleaned out by the Fundraising committee.
Discussion and Approval of India OSGeo Chapter
India chapter formation discussed and approved. The board notes that international outreach is making good progress and efforts in this direction have been very positive.
Discussion and Approval of Ottawa Chapter
Frank reported from the last meeting and the formation of the Ottawa chapter. The Ottawa Chapter has a more regional character giving people a chance to meet up and discuss. Formation was discussed and approved by the board.
The immediate issue was resolved before the meeting started. The current formats and versions of the logo are not in a final stable state. It is needed in vector formats and VisCom thinks that it will be necessary to work the logo over. Viscom owns and will make recommendations.
Status report on legal issue
Regarding GeoTools copyright transfer to OSGeo. Process is stalled, more input needed from legal, Frank is going to take the lead on writing something up for the board on copyright transfer.
Pending. Many of the past expenditures have been in kind contributions from Autodesk and are technically off the books for OSGeo accounting. Board and committees see the need to have an overview of what past activities cost to continue working on the budget for 2007. On the other hand it might well be that OSGeo will choose to not attend costly excursions in future unless they come as in kind contributions - also from other sponsors. Current situation is that $170k MapGuide marketing is diverted for OSGeo activities on a quarterly base. Whether and how long this will continue will depend on whether OSGeo feels that this is a good use of its funds. Treasurer Gary Lang will start tracking the financial expenditures that are in the OSGEO account. Book keeping discussed. This should in future be managed / organized by ED.
Review topics for Face to Face Meeting Lausanne 2006
Open attendance in afternoon was discussed and approved. Gary Lang is going to take the lead at looking at the f2f agenda.
Proposed Membership Rules discussion
It was proposed to make up a Membership Application for FOSS4G. There is a plan but the sign up page is not connected with the central LDAP. This will be deferred and is part of the infrastructure build up. The new Drupal site has most of what we need in place already. A temporary solution is planned for now. Frank is going to stand something up to later transfer and integrate to the official system.
Short discussion of OSGeo fiducial responsibilities, deferred for next meeting.