Difference between revisions of "Board Meeting 2010-01-07"

From OSGeo
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
m
 
(4 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Category: Board]]
 
[[Category: Board]]
[[Category:Board Meetings 2009]]
+
[[Category:Board Meetings 2010]]
  
 
This board meeting is scheduled for the 7th of January 2010 at 15:00 UTC [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=01&day=07&hour=15&min=0&sec=0 at 15:00 UTC], on IRC ([irc://irc.freenode.net/#osgeo #osgeo]).  
 
This board meeting is scheduled for the 7th of January 2010 at 15:00 UTC [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=01&day=07&hour=15&min=0&sec=0 at 15:00 UTC], on IRC ([irc://irc.freenode.net/#osgeo #osgeo]).  
Line 7: Line 7:
 
* Appoint meeting secretary
 
* Appoint meeting secretary
 
* Approve minutes for [[Board Meeting 2009-12-03]]
 
* Approve minutes for [[Board Meeting 2009-12-03]]
* Approve FOSS4G Budget (LINK???)
+
* FOSS4G Budget status (for next meeting?)
 +
* [[Proposed Board Election Procedure]]
 +
* OSGeo 2010 Budget?
 
* [http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2010-January/003195.html Update from Tyler]
 
* [http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2010-January/003195.html Update from Tyler]
 
* New regular topics:  
 
* New regular topics:  
 
** Update from each director
 
** Update from each director
 
** Committee reports
 
** Committee reports
* ''add your points''
+
 
 +
 
 +
== Minutes ==
 +
=== Attendees ===
 +
Directors:
 +
* Howard Butler
 +
* Arnulf Christl
 +
* Ravi Kumar
 +
* Jeff McKenna
 +
* Christopher Schmidt
 +
* Frank Warmerdam (Chair)
 +
* Geoff Zeiss
 +
 
 +
Staff:
 +
* Tyler Mitchell
 +
 
 +
=== Action Summary ===
 +
# '''MOTION: Arnulf moved to approve the minutes, Frank seconded, all were in favour'''
 +
# '''TODO: Frank to make motion to accept changes to board and charter member election processs'''
 +
# '''TODO: Arnulf to put together plan for fundraising, Tyler to help'''
 +
# '''MEETING: Special board meeting voice call re: fundraising planned in 1 week: [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=01&day=14&hour=16&min=0&sec=0 TIME LINK]'''
 +
# '''TODO: Frank to draft minimal budget for approval at next meeting'''
 +
# '''TODO: Tyler to contact IRS re: status'''
 +
# '''TODO: Tyler to get advice/experience from other FOSS non profits and how they handled status'''
 +
# '''TODO: Directors to share their goals for 2010'''
 +
# '''TODO: Arnulf to summarise issues/questions about goals to Board list'''
 +
# '''TODO: Tyler, Arnulf, others - make an agenda for fundraising meeting, invite others on Discuss to join'''
 +
# '''TODO: Chris to set up voice call system'''
 +
# '''TODO: Tyler to distribute skypeout credits to directors as needed'''
 +
# '''Next regular meeting: [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=02&day=04&hour=16&min=0&sec=0 Feb 4th] - NOTE: one hour later than usual.'''
 +
 
 +
Remainders from previous meeting:
 +
# TODO: Tyler to look at how we can vote virtually via IRC instead of requiring voice.
 +
# TODO: Ari to follow up with EuroGI about associated organisation options.
 +
# TODO: Arnulf to follow up on idea of presenting comments on topics like FFI is for EU interoperability.
 +
 
 +
=== Detailed Minutes ===
 +
* Meeting took place in IRC, see [http://logs.qgis.org/osgeo/%23osgeo.2010-01-07.log IRC server logs] for detailed transcription, starting at server time 06h00
 +
 
 +
* Attending Frank, Chris, Howard, Ravi, Arnulf, Geoff, Jeff, Tyler
 +
* Tyler acting as scribe
 +
* Approve past minutes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2009-12-03
 +
** '''MOTION: Arnulf moved to approve the minutes, Frank seconded, all were in favour'''
 +
** Reviewed past action items, not much progress due to holidays, carry over Action Summary TODOs to current minutes
 +
* FOSS4G 2010 Budget update
 +
** FOSS4G 2010 budget suggestions completed, some communication challenges with LOC
 +
** Final budget pending end of month, in time for voting in next board meeting
 +
* [[Proposed Board Election Procedure]]
 +
** Only three small changes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Proposed_Board_Election_Procedure&diff=44125&oldid=44122
 +
** Apply same changes to charter member election process
 +
** '''TODO: Frank to make motion to accept changes to board and charter member election processs'''
 +
* OSGeo 2010 budget, see [http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2010-January/003200.html email discussion]
 +
** Discussion of potential to raise more funding, vs scaling back or maintaining status quo
 +
** '''TODO: Arnulf to put together plan for fundraising, Tyler to help'''
 +
** '''MEETING: Special board meeting voice call re: fundraising planned in 1 week: [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=01&day=14&hour=16&min=0&sec=0 TIME LINK]'''
 +
** Presentations are helping raise sponsors
 +
** FOSS4G has been a successful fundraiser
 +
** US Government spending on open source and geospatial seen as potential growth area in future, potential funding possibly, [http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=6F64F930-1A64-67EA-E461E2E958B82E66 Geoff linked to an article]
 +
** '''TODO: Frank to draft minimal budget for approval at next meeting'''
 +
** Server expenditures seen as high priority
 +
* Update from Tyler
 +
** Discussed 501c3 status
 +
** '''TODO: Tyler to contact IRS re: status'''
 +
** '''TODO: Tyler to get advice/experience from other FOSS non profits and how they handled status'''
 +
* Directors and committee reports
 +
** Arnulf would like directors and committees to give brief reports each month
 +
** Discussion about commitment to grow OSGeo
 +
** '''TODO: Directors to share their goals for 2010'''
 +
** '''TODO: Arnulf to summarise issues/questions about goals to Board list'''
 +
* '''Next meeting: Special fundraising voice call''' [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=01&day=14&hour=16&min=0&sec=0 TIME LINK]
 +
** '''TODO: Tyler, Arnulf, others - make an agenda for fundraising meeting, invite others on Discuss to join'''
 +
** '''TODO: Chris to set up voice call system'''
 +
** '''TODO: Tyler to distribute skypeout credits to directors as needed'''
 +
* '''Next regular meeting: [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=02&day=04&hour=16&min=0&sec=0 Feb 4th] - NOTE: one hour later than usual.'''

Latest revision as of 01:25, 19 May 2010


This board meeting is scheduled for the 7th of January 2010 at 15:00 UTC at 15:00 UTC, on IRC (#osgeo).

Agenda


Minutes

Attendees

Directors:

  • Howard Butler
  • Arnulf Christl
  • Ravi Kumar
  • Jeff McKenna
  • Christopher Schmidt
  • Frank Warmerdam (Chair)
  • Geoff Zeiss

Staff:

  • Tyler Mitchell

Action Summary

  1. MOTION: Arnulf moved to approve the minutes, Frank seconded, all were in favour
  2. TODO: Frank to make motion to accept changes to board and charter member election processs
  3. TODO: Arnulf to put together plan for fundraising, Tyler to help
  4. MEETING: Special board meeting voice call re: fundraising planned in 1 week: TIME LINK
  5. TODO: Frank to draft minimal budget for approval at next meeting
  6. TODO: Tyler to contact IRS re: status
  7. TODO: Tyler to get advice/experience from other FOSS non profits and how they handled status
  8. TODO: Directors to share their goals for 2010
  9. TODO: Arnulf to summarise issues/questions about goals to Board list
  10. TODO: Tyler, Arnulf, others - make an agenda for fundraising meeting, invite others on Discuss to join
  11. TODO: Chris to set up voice call system
  12. TODO: Tyler to distribute skypeout credits to directors as needed
  13. Next regular meeting: Feb 4th - NOTE: one hour later than usual.

Remainders from previous meeting:

  1. TODO: Tyler to look at how we can vote virtually via IRC instead of requiring voice.
  2. TODO: Ari to follow up with EuroGI about associated organisation options.
  3. TODO: Arnulf to follow up on idea of presenting comments on topics like FFI is for EU interoperability.

Detailed Minutes

  • Meeting took place in IRC, see IRC server logs for detailed transcription, starting at server time 06h00
  • Attending Frank, Chris, Howard, Ravi, Arnulf, Geoff, Jeff, Tyler
  • Tyler acting as scribe
  • Approve past minutes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2009-12-03
    • MOTION: Arnulf moved to approve the minutes, Frank seconded, all were in favour
    • Reviewed past action items, not much progress due to holidays, carry over Action Summary TODOs to current minutes
  • FOSS4G 2010 Budget update
    • FOSS4G 2010 budget suggestions completed, some communication challenges with LOC
    • Final budget pending end of month, in time for voting in next board meeting
  • Proposed Board Election Procedure
  • OSGeo 2010 budget, see email discussion
    • Discussion of potential to raise more funding, vs scaling back or maintaining status quo
    • TODO: Arnulf to put together plan for fundraising, Tyler to help
    • MEETING: Special board meeting voice call re: fundraising planned in 1 week: TIME LINK
    • Presentations are helping raise sponsors
    • FOSS4G has been a successful fundraiser
    • US Government spending on open source and geospatial seen as potential growth area in future, potential funding possibly, Geoff linked to an article
    • TODO: Frank to draft minimal budget for approval at next meeting
    • Server expenditures seen as high priority
  • Update from Tyler
    • Discussed 501c3 status
    • TODO: Tyler to contact IRS re: status
    • TODO: Tyler to get advice/experience from other FOSS non profits and how they handled status
  • Directors and committee reports
    • Arnulf would like directors and committees to give brief reports each month
    • Discussion about commitment to grow OSGeo
    • TODO: Directors to share their goals for 2010
    • TODO: Arnulf to summarise issues/questions about goals to Board list
  • Next meeting: Special fundraising voice call TIME LINK
    • TODO: Tyler, Arnulf, others - make an agenda for fundraising meeting, invite others on Discuss to join
    • TODO: Chris to set up voice call system
    • TODO: Tyler to distribute skypeout credits to directors as needed
  • Next regular meeting: Feb 4th - NOTE: one hour later than usual.