Board Meeting 2017-12-07
This board meeting is scheduled for 7 December 2017 (first Thursday of each month) at  through IRC and follow up voting on Loomio.
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Current items
- 1.2 Minutes
- 1.3 Actions
- 1.4 Motions
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Approve previous meeting minutes
- Review action items from previous meeting
- Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer)
- urgent item: signature for web hosting contract
- Draft 2018 budget update (funds for website management need to be added, make it a funded position?)
- Review/revise sponsors program for 2018
- Project reviews
- Discuss alternative to Dropbox
- Relationship with AGU & possible MoU (thread)
- Note: Request to leverage GSoC 500 USD grant for 1 student's travel to FOSDEM devroom 2018 (thread) has been approved via Loomio.
- Usage of OSGeo logo and name - see style guide
- Discuss possibility of a Charter Members meeting, as part of the OSGeo Code Sprint in March (thread)
- Report on the on-going Google Code-In (jmckenna)
- OSGeo Code Sprint 2018 - where shall we transfer the sponsors money to? Which account? Account in Europe will be opened in March -> too late
Appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Attending: Jody, Angelos, Michael, Jeff, Astrid, Maria A, Vasile, Helena
- Presiding: Jody
- Scribing: Angelos
Approve previous meeting minutes
- MOT1: Approve board meeting minutes 2017-11-21 (see motions section)
Review action items from previous meeting
Action 1: Jeff McKenna to send project review document to board.
- Angelos to send e-mail to mailing list to start the process
Action 2: Angelos: Face to face meeting planning move discussion to the mailing list.
- No progress reported by Angelos
- Discussion had taken place in previous meeting
- Options available: (Video F2F meetings, F2F in GeoCat offices, Bonn Code Sprint to reduce travel costs)
- Maria A to make Doodle polls for date selection.
Action 3: Angelos to ask more projects to report to the next Board meeting
- No new projects were asked to participate, in order to address urgent board items.
Action 4: Even to add new OSGeo logo to gdal.org (Done)
Action 5: Torsten to compile a project report for Marble and send to the board - no progress
Action 6: Torsten to add new OSGeo logo to Marble page - no progress
Action 7: Jeff, Maria B and Vasile to call for volunteers for the Geodata Committee (Done)
- Codrina, MariaB, Vasile, Jeff received many enthusiastic volunteers to help get the OSGeo Geodata committee moving again. We are now planning our next steps together.
- This renewed call would be a great plan for other committees, such as the OSGeo finance committee, a really great way to get community volunteers.
- We should wait those new volunteers discuss what they want to do and perhaps get a new mandate.
Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Strategy of maintaining vice-presidents has been good for sharing the workload and travel.
- Plan is to hold a half day F2F meeting to make this decision
- We urgently need a president to sign documents, such as web hosting contract: Venka is still in position to sign contracts, so is Helena as a Vice-President
- Jody was asked if he would like to serve as Secretary, no decision yet. Jachym has expressed willing to retire from position.
- Michael is willing to remain as Treasurer
- Discussion about vice-president role:
- Has to be board member
- Come from different areas (academic, government, companies or developer, user, sysadmin)
- Discussion about President role
- Discussion about separating President from Board Chair role
- Having president be on the board gives them a chance to be involved in the decision making that they speak on publicly.
- President nominations should happen today (Jeff). Maybe better to do nominations on the mailing list so we can describe extensively why and comment (Maria A). I am in favor of having the executive position nominations when all the board members are together (Vasile)
- Discussion about how to share the load of work with vice-presidents
- Jeff has proposed years ago that the VP position be the one who was to take the president role in 2/3 years
- Maria A: another wild idea: have the chapters vote per continent a representative
- Helena mentioned the model of past president, president and president elect. This would mean 6 years of service to ensure continuity - 2 as president elect, 2 as president, 2 as past president. Vasile and Angelos noted that this is different from our current way of working.
- Jody: we should consider a break out session on the bylaws - hard to make a decision on the positions without this
- We need a specific F2F meeting to make this kind of discussion and potential changes.
Signature for web hosting contract
- Helena can sign as vice-president
- Angelos to send e-mail to mailing list to start the process for the project review document (Done right after the meeting)
- Face to face meeting planning move discussion to the mailing list (Done by Maria A right after the meeting)
- Angelos to ask more projects to report to the next Board meeting
- Torsten to compile a project report for Marble and send to the board
- Torsten to add new OSGeo logo to Marble page
- Jeff to update the Geodata committee wiki page with a call for volunteers
- Helena to sign the contract for web hosting.
MOT1: Approve board meeting minutes 2017-11-21.
- Motion by Angelos
- Seconded by Jeff
- Approve: Jeff, Michael, Astrid, Helena, Angelos, Maria A, Jody
- Moved to Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/p/meW9YsON/approve-board-meeting-minutes-2017-11-21
- Outcome: Pending.
MOT2: Motion to adjourn, next meeting TBD video call
- Motion by Jody
- Seconded by Angelos
- Approve: Astrid, Vasile, Jeff, Angelos, Michael, Maria A, Jody
- Outcome: Passed