Board Meeting 2017-12-23
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Good morning / Agenda (30 mins)
- Review of State of Play (30 min)
- Draft Budget Read through (30 mins)
- Budget Expectations (60 mins)
- Budget Review (90 mins)
- Budget Finalize (30 mins)
- Role of Board, by-law review, orientation (60 mins)
- Executive Positions (45 mins)
- Meetings schedule (frequency)
- FOSS4G vision by Board (video streaming, etc)
Appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Attending: Jody, Angelos, Michael, Jeff, Astrid, Maria A, Vasile, Helena, Maria B
- Presiding: Angelos
- Scribing: Jody
Good morning / Agenda
Six hour meeting scheduled. Establish the above agenda, making an effort to estimate time required for agenda topics. Discussion on priorities, can we do both budget and set executive positions in today's meeting. There may also be a possibility to meet next week.
Review of State of Play
Finance: Transfer from Boston complete, we have a healthy balance to work from in 2018.
Review of 2017 budget, and resulting spending:
- UN: Some travel ended up under director travel.
- How to handle FOSS4G 2019 request, under conference committee?
- Any update on Bonn finances? Blocked on action item to set up an European bank account.
- FOSS4G finance relationship discussion. We have enough to run 3-4 events at a loss.
Review of budget motions from 2017:
Discussion about Code Sprints:
- How to word profit sharing from code-sprints? Goal is to share risk with team running code-sprint. action: Take this to email to revise wording?
- How to support communities needing help to support a code sprint? Goal is to support communities. Board must agree on this topic. https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines
- Is "profit sharing" a new requirement? Discussion on the "profit sharing" expression being mentioned in reply e-mails.
Discussion confirmed we have a contact person for each budget line item. We have an officer (project or committee contact) reporting during the AGM.
Draft Budget Read through
UN Committee ($23k):
- Saved money reusing materials in 2017, moving to geoshape.org and will need to make new content.
- Q: Why would we fund training materials for geoshape more than our own osgeo projects?
- GeoNode is the foundation for GeoShape.
- GeoNode for training material already provided by world bank.
- UN requests materials specific to GeoShape, to make efficient use of time.
- As partner we have to decide what we want to do?
- we have no more software to teach? we could close our involvement ...
- or just attend the meetings, ...
- (previously we trained QGIS and PostGIS)
- can some geoshape functionality to geonode?
- geonode forks: geoshape, exchange, storyscapes, ... apparently how "drupal" projects work?
FOSS4G ($30k): Discussion of video requests from Michael Turner
- is this reasonable?
- can we take this responsibility from LOC? Like with travel grants we could maintain knowlege/procedure across events...
- is this something the conference committee would be willing to do?
- please add to "foss4g cookbook"
- astird: would like to see videos, livestream included - how can we support?
- action: Astrid may look at setting up a technical team to be available to LOC
- support a technical committee to support video recording for Conference LOCs - Astrid POC
- discussion on supporting a long term active, michael is in favour of OSGeo supporting this.
Jody (120k max):
- poor history of spending allocated budget
- grass? split out code sprint
- review code sprint items
- incubation committee, only one project working on incubation?
- want to keep similar to foss4g income (100k) + sponsorship (5k).
- How much we have, based on requests
- Looking at some amounts, like 30k for video, think we will be close to this when done.
- Individual code sprints, bump up general code sprints.
- More accessible to ask for funding for code sprints.
- Push for projects to request money, now they are doing so :)
Maria B (180k):
- Clarification on finance balance.
- 2017 we budgeted 150 and spent 90k.
- Position to spend money to be useful.
- can we find more sponsors?
- keeping in mind this year's foss4g does not expect profit
- agree on opportunities.
- make bigger impact, similar to website next year
Jeff (145k min - 200k max):
- good to contact individual communities
- help support, sprints, foss4g, ...
- maintain website - split across marketing, sac, geoforall.
- Q: can we figure out how much is expected across our organization?
- thinking on general code sprints
- reach out to osgeo members from countries and try to help?
- Brazil chapter wanted to move things a bit, help and guidance... (some contact with GeoForAll)
- Don't need much money for what I want improve.
Astrid (150k min - 200k max):
- marketing: working on exhibit packs, provide box for local team to present OSGeo
- Push forward code sprint idea
- Local chapter committee, welcome comittee, ...
- set up activities, such as code-sprints, ...
- how to connect foss4g events to osgeo
- discuss: code sprint --> sprint --> community sprint
- have the courage to spend the money
- community, travel, bringing people together
- funding for video outreach
- volunteer: action
MOT1: Motion to approve 2018 budget of $151600
- Motion by Jody
- Seconded by Michael
- Approve: by acclamation
- Moved to Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/p/1zbC2mS7/approve-osgeo-budget-for-2018
- Outcome: Passed