Difference between revisions of "Board Meeting 2020-01-27"

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search
(Actions)
 
(11 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
This board meeting is '''scheduled Monday 27 January 2020''' at [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2020&month=01&day=27&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=256&p2=286&p3=49&p4=269&p5=250&p6=37 16:00 UTC] through irc, a record of motions is preserved on [https://www.loomio.org/g/kdSmIwxu/osgeo-board loomio] and actions on [https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues osgeo todo] issue tracker.
+
This board meeting is '''scheduled Monday 27 January 2020''' at [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2020&month=01&day=27&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=256&p2=286&p3=49&p4=269&p5=250&p6=37 16:00 UTC] through [https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=osgeo IRC], a record of motions is preserved on [https://www.loomio.org/g/kdSmIwxu/osgeo-board loomio] and actions on [https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues osgeo todo] issue tracker.
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
Line 11: Line 11:
 
# Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee.
 
# Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee.
 
# Negotiation with Buenos Aires Team
 
# Negotiation with Buenos Aires Team
# f2f Meeting
+
# f2f Meeting - https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/hacBIYOAEA/
 
# FOSS4G Registering Trademark (Email from Steven F.)
 
# FOSS4G Registering Trademark (Email from Steven F.)
 
# Email from Bart 5.12. regarding board actions towards Halifax-actions
 
# Email from Bart 5.12. regarding board actions towards Halifax-actions
Line 18: Line 18:
 
# QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributer meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship
 
# QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributer meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship
 
# Request W3C Web mapping workshop, Montreal June 15-17 [https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2020-January/012551.html]
 
# Request W3C Web mapping workshop, Montreal June 15-17 [https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2020-January/012551.html]
 +
# Request for collaboration for an NSF research project
 +
# FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding [https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2020-January/012558.html]
 +
# GSoC 2020, Importance of that program.
 
# Add more agenda items here...
 
# Add more agenda items here...
  
Line 23: Line 26:
  
 
* Presiding: Till
 
* Presiding: Till
* Scribing:  
+
* Scribing: Angelos
* Attending:  
+
* Attending: Till, Astrid, Angelos, Tom, Codrina, Helena, Victoria, Michael, Vicky
 +
 
 +
=== Review and approve past minutes [[Board_Meeting_2020-01-13]]===
 +
 
 +
* Motion was already made on Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/d/cNZLd04X/approve-meeting-minutes-from-board-meeting-2020-01-13
 +
* Motion passed on Loomio.
 +
 
 +
=== Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee ===
 +
 
 +
* Jody Garnett present.
 +
* Jody is going to try to restart the marketing / outreach committee
 +
 
 +
MOT 1: Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee
 +
 
 +
* Astrid: +1 (Initial motion)
 +
* Angelos: +1 (seconded)
 +
* Helena: +1
 +
* Tom: +1
 +
* Till: +1
 +
* Victoria: +1
 +
* Codrina: +1
 +
* Michael: +1
 +
* Vicky: +1
 +
 
 +
* Motion passed during the meeting
 +
* Motion on Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/d/20P1haLs/appoint-jody-garnett-and-enock-seth-nyamador-as-co-chairs-of-marketing-committee
 +
* ACTION: Astrid to update the website officer list
 +
 
 +
=== Negotiation with Buenos Aires Team ===
 +
 
 +
* On Conference Committee mailing list there was a proposal of Eli: First 30k 50/50, then 90/10
 +
* ACTION: Till to talk to BALOC and report back
 +
 
 +
=== f2f Meeting ===
 +
 
 +
* https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/hacBIYOAEA/
 +
* Some concers that Athens will be very busy. Note that we are planning a co-located OGC API Hackathon at that time.
 +
* Maybe we could meet the day after or before the community sprint
 +
* Thoughts about having the f2f in both places so that at least all can participate personally on one
 +
* Give more time for all to vote on the poll and also discuss on mailing list before making a decision.
 +
 
 +
=== FOSS4G Registering Trademark (Email from Steven F.) ===
 +
 
 +
* Example from ASF: https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
 +
* Discussion about FOSS4G and ribon trademarks.
 +
* This discussion was raised before (with the LocationTech thing), Venka, as the initiator, did not agree.
 +
* Perhaps make a wider discussion about this. Maybe board and conf-list.
 +
* Jody: For TM our website (and the old website) claims the trademark https://www.osgeo.org/legal-information/ Text is copied from old website, I assumed folks who wrote it knew what was what.
 +
* Probably should first start with a CC vote to do this before we go wider.
 +
* ACTION: Till to answer Steven
 +
* Side discussion about OSGeo Store online. Looks like a topic for the marketing committee.
 +
 
 +
=== Email from Bart 5.12. regarding board actions towards Halifax-actions ===
 +
 
 +
* Actions such as unresponsiveness on request from the community and also the board and the other actions taken were against the CoC.
 +
* Bart's email was more about the actions and not how to handle promoting Calgary as the official conference.
 +
* It's a good idea to ask CoC-committee for their thoughts on this.
 +
* Also note that Jeff was unresponsive while being on the board for more than 6 months
 +
* We should at least have a common public position.
 +
* Vicky as co-chair of CoC committee tried to contact Jeff, and he was unresponsive
 +
* Maybe someone could try to call him on the phone. Looks like other channels do not work.
 +
* If it was weeks, there can maybe be some lenience and understanding, but this is working against OSGeo and FOSS4G for months.
 +
* This is a wider issue regarding the fact that OSGeo doesn't have the tools to protect itself from these actions.
 +
* Prevention: Own the trademark
 +
* It is not a priority to contact Jeff right now or revive this halifax topic.
 +
* Bylaws do mention that the board can remove members if they missbehave.
 +
 
 +
=== Discuss request from osgeo4w for yearly budget ===
 +
 
 +
* Paolo Cavallini present.
 +
* The board has passed a budget for 2020 and approved 4000 for OSGeo4W (plus another 500 as a community project)
 +
* Paolo: This is not our main point, we would like is that osgeo4w would be recognized as a crucial part of OSGeo infrastructure so its future could be more secure. Currently all resides on the goodwill of a few people, and on the support by QGIS.ORG, whereas it's a global project for Windows users
 +
* Our idea was to offer support (money) in order to promote the project and create a healthy community around it
 +
* Right now we have a specific structure, OSGeo4W has to fit that structure somehow
 +
* Paolo: this is much appreciated, but the problem is how to secure its future, not a one off
 +
* We would prefer to have it incubated. proj is a good example of a long standing core project that is now (recently) an OSGeo project
 +
* Paolo: I regard it more as a part of the infrastructure, much as the website
 +
* Jody: The project is too small to incubate. Being a OSGeo community project is all you are going to get at present
 +
* OSGeoLive took many years to be strong enough for incubation.
 +
* Paolo: integrating in SAC is an option
 +
* I think the main goal is to find more volunteers. We would also suggest the OSGeo4W team could ask on the lists for new members.
 +
* Maybe a discussion with the OSGeo4W and the SAC team makes sense to identify the tasks
 +
* Jurgen is already involved in SAC and could put it on the agenda.
 +
* First discuss with SAC, then decide
 +
 
 +
=== Project report from Marble ===
 +
 
 +
* Marble reported on mailing list, so it is fine
 +
* Marble can provide with a slide for the next AGM
 +
 
 +
=== QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributor meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship ===
 +
 
 +
* Summer school was canceled, there is still a 5k request
 +
* Should the QGIS summer camp be funded separately of QGIS code sprints - perhaps as initiative?
 +
* Basically we need to follow our funding guidelines: code sprints cannot be funded directly, sharing risk is the purpose, so that events can attract sponsors and we can back them up
 +
* https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/board/documents/osgeo_financial_guidance.pdf
 +
* ACTION: Till to point them to these guidelines and ask to request for support as for any other codesprint.
 +
* Remaining topics moved to next board meeting
  
 
== Actions ==
 
== Actions ==
  
 +
* Astrid to update the website officer list
 +
* Till to talk to BALOC and report back CHECK - BALOC agreed (50%/50% share on the first 30k surplus, above that 90% OSgeo and 10% to
 +
BALOC.)
 +
* Till to answer Steven about the FOSS4G Trademark. (Pending)
 +
* Till to reply to QGIS Summer camp organizers and point them to these guidelines and ask to request for support as for any other codesprint. (CHECK, mail sent)
  
 
== IRC Log ==
 
== IRC Log ==

Latest revision as of 03:40, 24 February 2020

This board meeting is scheduled Monday 27 January 2020 at 16:00 UTC through IRC, a record of motions is preserved on loomio and actions on osgeo todo issue tracker.

Agenda

Current items

  1. roll call
    • appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
  2. Review and approve past minutes
  3. Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee.
  4. Negotiation with Buenos Aires Team
  5. f2f Meeting - https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/hacBIYOAEA/
  6. FOSS4G Registering Trademark (Email from Steven F.)
  7. Email from Bart 5.12. regarding board actions towards Halifax-actions
  8. Discuss request from osgeo4w for yearly budget
  9. Project report from Marble
  10. QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributer meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship
  11. Request W3C Web mapping workshop, Montreal June 15-17 [1]
  12. Request for collaboration for an NSF research project
  13. FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding [2]
  14. GSoC 2020, Importance of that program.
  15. Add more agenda items here...

Minutes

  • Presiding: Till
  • Scribing: Angelos
  • Attending: Till, Astrid, Angelos, Tom, Codrina, Helena, Victoria, Michael, Vicky

Review and approve past minutes Board_Meeting_2020-01-13

Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee

  • Jody Garnett present.
  • Jody is going to try to restart the marketing / outreach committee

MOT 1: Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee

  • Astrid: +1 (Initial motion)
  • Angelos: +1 (seconded)
  • Helena: +1
  • Tom: +1
  • Till: +1
  • Victoria: +1
  • Codrina: +1
  • Michael: +1
  • Vicky: +1

Negotiation with Buenos Aires Team

  • On Conference Committee mailing list there was a proposal of Eli: First 30k 50/50, then 90/10
  • ACTION: Till to talk to BALOC and report back

f2f Meeting

  • https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/hacBIYOAEA/
  • Some concers that Athens will be very busy. Note that we are planning a co-located OGC API Hackathon at that time.
  • Maybe we could meet the day after or before the community sprint
  • Thoughts about having the f2f in both places so that at least all can participate personally on one
  • Give more time for all to vote on the poll and also discuss on mailing list before making a decision.

FOSS4G Registering Trademark (Email from Steven F.)

  • Example from ASF: https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
  • Discussion about FOSS4G and ribon trademarks.
  • This discussion was raised before (with the LocationTech thing), Venka, as the initiator, did not agree.
  • Perhaps make a wider discussion about this. Maybe board and conf-list.
  • Jody: For TM our website (and the old website) claims the trademark https://www.osgeo.org/legal-information/ Text is copied from old website, I assumed folks who wrote it knew what was what.
  • Probably should first start with a CC vote to do this before we go wider.
  • ACTION: Till to answer Steven
  • Side discussion about OSGeo Store online. Looks like a topic for the marketing committee.

Email from Bart 5.12. regarding board actions towards Halifax-actions

  • Actions such as unresponsiveness on request from the community and also the board and the other actions taken were against the CoC.
  • Bart's email was more about the actions and not how to handle promoting Calgary as the official conference.
  • It's a good idea to ask CoC-committee for their thoughts on this.
  • Also note that Jeff was unresponsive while being on the board for more than 6 months
  • We should at least have a common public position.
  • Vicky as co-chair of CoC committee tried to contact Jeff, and he was unresponsive
  • Maybe someone could try to call him on the phone. Looks like other channels do not work.
  • If it was weeks, there can maybe be some lenience and understanding, but this is working against OSGeo and FOSS4G for months.
  • This is a wider issue regarding the fact that OSGeo doesn't have the tools to protect itself from these actions.
  • Prevention: Own the trademark
  • It is not a priority to contact Jeff right now or revive this halifax topic.
  • Bylaws do mention that the board can remove members if they missbehave.

Discuss request from osgeo4w for yearly budget

  • Paolo Cavallini present.
  • The board has passed a budget for 2020 and approved 4000 for OSGeo4W (plus another 500 as a community project)
  • Paolo: This is not our main point, we would like is that osgeo4w would be recognized as a crucial part of OSGeo infrastructure so its future could be more secure. Currently all resides on the goodwill of a few people, and on the support by QGIS.ORG, whereas it's a global project for Windows users
  • Our idea was to offer support (money) in order to promote the project and create a healthy community around it
  • Right now we have a specific structure, OSGeo4W has to fit that structure somehow
  • Paolo: this is much appreciated, but the problem is how to secure its future, not a one off
  • We would prefer to have it incubated. proj is a good example of a long standing core project that is now (recently) an OSGeo project
  • Paolo: I regard it more as a part of the infrastructure, much as the website
  • Jody: The project is too small to incubate. Being a OSGeo community project is all you are going to get at present
  • OSGeoLive took many years to be strong enough for incubation.
  • Paolo: integrating in SAC is an option
  • I think the main goal is to find more volunteers. We would also suggest the OSGeo4W team could ask on the lists for new members.
  • Maybe a discussion with the OSGeo4W and the SAC team makes sense to identify the tasks
  • Jurgen is already involved in SAC and could put it on the agenda.
  • First discuss with SAC, then decide

Project report from Marble

  • Marble reported on mailing list, so it is fine
  • Marble can provide with a slide for the next AGM

QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributor meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship

  • Summer school was canceled, there is still a 5k request
  • Should the QGIS summer camp be funded separately of QGIS code sprints - perhaps as initiative?
  • Basically we need to follow our funding guidelines: code sprints cannot be funded directly, sharing risk is the purpose, so that events can attract sponsors and we can back them up
  • https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/board/documents/osgeo_financial_guidance.pdf
  • ACTION: Till to point them to these guidelines and ask to request for support as for any other codesprint.
  • Remaining topics moved to next board meeting

Actions

  • Astrid to update the website officer list
  • Till to talk to BALOC and report back CHECK - BALOC agreed (50%/50% share on the first 30k surplus, above that 90% OSgeo and 10% to

BALOC.)

  • Till to answer Steven about the FOSS4G Trademark. (Pending)
  • Till to reply to QGIS Summer camp organizers and point them to these guidelines and ask to request for support as for any other codesprint. (CHECK, mail sent)

IRC Log