Board Meeting 2020-03-30

From OSGeo
Revision as of 08:47, 31 March 2020 by Astrid Emde (talk | contribs) (Structure cahnged GeoChiapas projec)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This board meeting is scheduled Monday 30 March 2020 at 16:00 UTC through Jitsi, a record of motions is preserved on loomio and actions on osgeo todo issue tracker.

Agenda

Current items

  1. roll call
    • appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
  2. Review and approve past minutes
  3. Potential COVID-19 affects on OSGeo activities and events.
    1. FOSS4G 2020 Calgary
    2. Athen's OSGeo Codesprint
    3. FOSS4G Europe 2020
    4. FOSS4G Oceania
    5. ...
  4. ISO/TC 211 liaison [1]
  5. Approve Bolsena code sprint budget of 2000$ from the Events and Code Sprints 2020 budget [2]
  6. Request from Maria Brovelli regarding UN Open GIs initiative
  7. December sprint application from Bolsena code sprint
  8. Boundless infrastructure transition: transfer of domains, blog, build, and repo
  9. GeoChiapas project and TPrize Challenge
  10. Spider - open Spatial data Infrastructure Education Network [3]
  11. Email from Jochen Topf, Treasurer of FOSSGIS on potential rest surplus from the 2016 event
  12. Pista ng Mapa 2020 sponsorship request [4]
    1. They postproned their event, so no action needed here for now
  13. QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributor meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship cancelation
    1. No feedback from Lene on my emails yet
  14. Add more agenda items here...

Minutes

  • Presiding: Till
  • Scribing: Astrid
  • Attending: Till, Astrid, Tom, Michael, Angelos, Victoria, Codrina, Helena, Vicky
  • Guests: Jon Neufeld, Bradley Ashley, Steven Feldman, Peteris Bruns, Malena Libman, Vasile


Review and approve past minutes


Potential COVID-19 affects on OSGeo activities and events

FOSS4G 2020 Calgary

  • Report from Jon Neufeld about the situation in Canada
  • Question: Will people/sponsors come to the conference, will people travel in August 2019?
  • If the government will prohibit events and we cancel now it it will be cheaper (+-20.000 Canadian Dollars) for us to cancel the event, if we cancel it later it could be +- 250.000 Canadian Dollars
  • Some money has already been spent. Maybe it can used for a later event
  • LOC has to be asked to be part of the the team on a later event
  • Questions:
    • What is the opinion of the board?
    • Can we postpone it to 2021? Or even 2022?
    • It could depend on whether Argentina can postpone it to 2022
    • What are the losses that we have when the event is canceled soon? (june 24 Deadline for another payment)
    • April 24th change in the costs
  • Options:
    • Move Calgary to 2021, move Buenos Aires to 2022
    • Move Calgary to 2022, keep Buenos Aires to 2021
    • Cancel Calgary now(ish), go ahead with Buenos Aires 2021
  • Possibilities should be discussed in the teams
    • Next meeting should be in two weeks: 13. April UTC 16 Board_Meeting_2020-04-13 next meeting with FOSS4G as the the only topic to be discussed (Team Calgary and Argentina will join the meeting and provide the numbers)

OSGeo Community Sprint 2020

  • Report from Angelos
  • https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Sprint_2020
  • It could be less problem to postpone the event - either to end of 2020 or Beginning of 2021
  • Postponing would be the better option to keep the sponsors
  • Suggestion to make a COVID-19 Online Community Sprint
  • Decision: Cancel the Sprint in May and postpone it - Angelos will send a mail
  • Communicate that Athens in May is postponed and to stay tuned for future news (November 2020, or later), depending on status
  • ATION ITEM Angelos Mail to TOSPrint list and discussion list
  • ACTION ITEM Angelos contact municipality to find a new date

FOSS4G Europe 2020

  • Report from Peteris (Chair)
  • Waiting on decisions till end of April (Decision from municipality will be made in the middle of April)
  • Not much money is spend yet, only few registered people, contact to sponsors but no invoices, few submissions
  • We could postpone it to 2021
  • Autumn was discussed in the LOC and is not an option
  • Team tries to run it this year if possible, still optimistic in the team


FOSS4G Oceania

  • Suva, Fiji, 17-20 November 2020
  • Still time to decide whether to cancel
  • Steven Feldman will reach out to the team


Other impacts of COVID-19 to OSGeo

  • Potentially review our budget
  • No traveling, canceled community sprints
  • Review the budget at the next meeting at April 13th
  • Can we support the community in order to connect people?
  • Ideas
    • Online discussions?
    • Unconference
    • Mentorships
    • Open Space with other OSGeo people
    • Townhall idea
    • With proposals about how to keep the OSGeo idea active in this times
    • Create a Wiki-page: what is the community doing for Covid - please tell us what you are doing?
      • Category: Online BoFs Wiki page ACTION ITEM Codrina, Angelos
  • Open invite letter from the board - ACTION ITEM Codrina
  • Timeframe: difficult to define a date for the global community - maybe we the communities in the timezones can find a timeframe
  • We will use: https://meet.jit.si/Osgeo and irc


ISO/TC 211 liaison


Approve Bolsena code sprint budget of 2000$ from the Events and Code Sprints 2020 budget

  • [6]
  • Ask if the code sprint will take place.
  • Budget is already approved.
  • ACTION ITEM Astrid will write the e-mail to Jody


Request from Maria Brovelli regarding UN Open GIs initiative

  • Make a motion on loomio (ACTION ITEM Angelos)


Boundless infrastructure transition


GeoChiapas project and TPrize Challenge



Spider - open Spatial data Infrastructure Education Network

  • [7]
  • Anyone from the OSGeo Community could act as advisory person
  • ACTION Item Till: will contact Jan Schulze Althoff, encourage him to contact geo4all for further support and think about a establishing a GeoLab (/done)

FOSS4G 2016 about potential surplus

  • Email from Jochen Topf, Treasurer of FOSSGIS on potential rest surplus from the 2016 event
  • Suggestion to vote on loomio
  • ACTION ITEM Till: mail about it and the loomio vote


Pista ng Mapa 2020 sponsorship request

  • [8]
  • They postponed their event, so no action needed here for now
  • ACTION ITEM mail: Astrid, Angelos


QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributor meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship

  • Event is canceled
  • cancelation
  • ACTION ITEM mail to Lene: Astrid, Angelos


Next Meeting April 13 16 UTC


Actions

IRC Log

  • no irc log as video meeting