Difference between revisions of "Board Meeting 2020-07-29"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Latest revision as of 07:53, 31 August 2020
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Feedback from FOSS4GUK 2020 
- Feedback from FOSS4G Calgary 2020 LOC 
- Discussion on content for Call for Proposals for FOSS4G 2022
- Presiding: Angelos
- Scribing: Astrid
- Attending: Tom, Angelos, Codrina, Astrid, Helena, Vicky
- Guests: Malena Libman, John Neufeld, Steven Feldman, Eli Adam, Luca Delucchi
Feedback FOSS4G UK / FOSS4G 2020
- Definitely possible to do an online international event.
- Is there going to be an international event again?
- Are people willing to travel in the next few years?
- Local events can happen along with an international event
- FOSS4G is a huge event and needs lot of time to organize
- Providing a person from OSGeo that continuously assists FOSS4G f.e. Sponsors / something like an ambassador / helps with sponsors
- Idea to hire someone to organize the FOSS4G for some years
- How will we go on on 2021 and 2022?
FOSS4G 2021 Argentina
- Report from Malena
- At the moment they have the plan for the face-to-face conference with maybe 800 people
- At the moment it would would cost the same to cancel now or in march
- They have a backup plan and could decide to plan an online conference
- 2021 would like to start soon with the sponsorship program and selling of tickets
- Break even is only possible due to sponsorship not from the tickets
- 2021 LOC needs to have an agreement with OSGeo about potential losses.
- Board should be clear what OSGeo can offer the LOC for 2021 and in the future
- 2021 will go on forward either face-to-face or with an online event
- Codrina: suggestion to plan the virtual event now
- Network connection is not good in Argentinia - con for a hybrid event
- Maria: optimistic that a vaccine could be there in 2021
- What factors for february 2021 to decide
- Cancelling is not considered
- In person or online depending on a vaccine / on save travelling
- Regularly meeting with LOC
- Not enough board members at this meeting so no motion
- 2021 will take place either f2f or remote
- If remote, the losses should get covered with the tickets/sponsors for the online events
- When decision in march 2021 maybe better negotiation with the event owner for a cheaper price
- Several persons mentioned that it is not realistic to have a f2f meeting next year, looḱs like the pandemic will still be there
- John on chat:
- Air Travel Forecast from the International Air Transport Association https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-07-28-02/ Global passenger traffic (revenue passenger kilometers or RPKs) will not return to pre-COVID-19 levels until 2024, a year later than previously projected. The recovery in short haul travel is still expected to happen faster than for long haul travel. Recovery to pre-COVID-19 levels, however, will also slide by a year from 2022 to 2023. For 2020, global passenger numbers (enplanements) are expected to decline by 55% compared to 2019, worsened from the April forecast of 46%
FOSS4G topics for the Board
- Request by StevenF: Board should make a decision how FOSS4G can be run in the next years.
- OSGeo has not the money to backup huge losses like in Calgary or even higher every year. Board decision to provide a healthy OSGeo for the future
- Idea Steven: Sponsoring should get collected by OSGeo with the opportunity to get visibility at FOSS4Gs
- OSGeo should hold the brand FOSS4G (suggestion of Steven Feldman)
- What is the meaning of the conference committee?
- Luca: italian team would like to apply
- They are planning already
- Idea to Join all the geospatial conferences (QGIS, GeoNode, Geochicas, OSM …) - organize altogether
- F2f or online
- Improvements from OSGeo are needed
- No clear idea about the budget
- Venue with food and video, maybe negotiate the price
- University was already asked for code sprint, workshops
- If OSGeo would decide do make 2022 only online, Italian team could apply for 2023 or 2024