- 1 Introduction
- 2 Events
- 3 Membership
- 4 Fund Raising and Accounts
- 5 Geodata Access Award
- 6 Chapter Outreach Speakers
- 7 Meeting Minutes
- 8 Community
- 9 California GIS Links
- 10 California Open Source Links
- 11 Documentation
A local region based chapter of OSGeo on the west coast of the United States. California is home to Silicon Valley, some of the top Public Research/Teaching Universities and some very large industries.
(Proposed) To promote the use and development of open source geospatial software in California.
Objectives & Goals
- Influence Professional Groups
- Give Presentations to groups with an interest in Open Geospatial and/or Public Geodata (see list of available speakers)
- Demonstrate diplomacy and interoperability of the OSGeo stack with other solutions(Free or Not) through our activities.
- Represent OSGeo via booths, literature and presentations at academic and professional conferences in the Western US
- Development of OSGeo
- Maintain of list of local groups and events throughout California
- Promote Access to California Geodata
- Annual Award to the agency or institution in California that best exemplifies OSGeo's stance on Public Geodata
- Work with the Public Geodata Project to Generate a catalog of catalogs, search tools, and metadata harvesters to better enable public access to Geodata.http://www.osgeo.org/geodata
- Promote use of Public Geodata Catalogs
Upcoming October 2011 Meeting : Fill out the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HBLF525
We have an California Chapter Exhibition Pack, see the page for details if you want to use it.
Based on our fund raising efforts we will determine what our Budget will allow use to do. The goal for 2009 is $1500.. For 2010 the new focus is on getting several new sponsors for OSGeo in general which would create additional funds for support of chapter activities.
- OSGeo California Chapter Meeting 2011 - October 2011 Fill out the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HBLF525
- Cartography Sprint -TBD
(Reverse Date Order, Most recent 1st)
- Where 2.0 2011 April 19-21, 2011, Santa Clara Hyatt
- California Invasive Plant Society annual meeting Jul11 - LiveDVD
- FLUXNET and Remote Sensing Open-Workshop June11 - provided LiveDVD to interested participants
- San Francisco GeoMeetup - 2011 monthly/recurrent
- AAG 2011 April 12-16 Seattle
- CGS 2011 April 29-May 1st, Bishop, CA
- Missed -ACM SIGSPATIAL 2010 - Nov 2-5, San Jose (Conference Website)
- Missed -AGU 2010 Dec, SF - It's always in California
- Missed -GTC WEST 2010 Cal chapter involvement proposed. May 11-12, Sacramento
- CGS 2010 May 1, Fullerton
- AAG 2010 April 2010, Washington, D.C.
- Where 2.0
- SCALE 2010 Feb 19-21, Los Angeles
- AGU 2009 December 14-18 - SF - It's always in California
- GIS Day 2009 November - Worldwide Local events (Berkeley, Davis, ?)
- NACIS 2009 October 7- 10 - Sacramento : We gave a 50 minute team demo on 4 OSGeo applications.
- OSCON 2009 July 20-24, San Jose, CA - State of OSGeo "Lightening Talk" was a hit!
- Where 2.0 2009 May 20-21 - San Jose, CA- Paul Ramsey will join us.
- USGS Open House 2009 May 16-17 - Menlo Park, we we're invited at CalGIS
- CGS 2009 May 2 - Santa Ynez - Always in California, small cheap, outreach to grade schools and non-profits.
- CalGIS 2009 April 7-9 Sacramento - Booth was too expensive($800 for booth), Berkeley GIF Lab talked about QGIS
- AAG 2009 (Mar) - Las Vegas
- Inaugural Meeting (Feb) of California Chapter
- AGU 2008 - Open Source Session at American Geophysical Union; San Francisco, CA
- GIS Day 2008 - UC Berkeley GIF Lab, US EPA Region IX
- OSBootCamp OSBootCamp 2008 - Open Source day at UC Berkeley
- CGS 2008 - Booth at the Calfornia Geographical Society meeting in Chico.
- 4H Workshop - Bill will be running a workshop at UC Davis for 4H high schoolers on GPS/GIS
Missed Opportunities that might reoccur
- OSCON 2010 - Cal chapter involvement proposed. July?, Portland
- UCSB Vendor Fair, May 2011, Santa Barbara
- OpenSourceWorld 2009 August, SF
- APCG 2009 Sept 30 - Oct 3 - San Diego
- ACM GIS 2009 November 4-6 - Seattle (pass it to cugos, speaking opportunities)
To be a member of the Chapter you simply need to state that by adding yourself to the list below.
Meetings will be held annually at minimum and as needed in between.
OSGeo informal social. Anyone interested in geo is invited! Let's get together and:
- Meet face to face and do some geo talk
- exchange ideas about geo projects you are using / working on / would like to learn about
- present some topic of interest
- BBQ, beers.
- Whatever else you feel like.
680 Mission st Apt 34T San Francisco, CA 94105 GMaps
Saturday March 20th, 2010 11:30AM until 2:00pm (or more?)
- Phone number in case you get lost:
(951) 906-1765 (leave msg if nobody answers)
An easy walk from the Montgomery BART. Put your name down below so I can leave it by the door and you have no trouble getting in.
- Attending: (write your name down to get a sense of the headcount)
- Ragi Burhum
- Landon Blake
- Brian Hamlin
- Josh Livni
- Silas Toms
- Amit Kharb
- Alex Mandel
- Michele Tobias
- Lokesh Bali
- Tim Caro-Bruce
Name(IRC/Chat Handle) - Short Description
- Chris Whitney (Cwhitney) - UC San Diego / NASA ISS EarthKAM
- Landon Blake(Sunburned Surveyor)
- Allan Hollander
- Bob Moskovitz (cgs_bob)
- Alex Mandel (Wildintellect) - UC Davis
- David Bianco - US Army Corps of Engineers, Los Angeles
- Matt Hancher - NASA Ames Research Center - interested in Bay Area local activities
- Josh Livni (jlivni) Umbrella Consulting (San Francisco)
- Bill Woodall(bwoodall) San Diego
- Stacey Ellis - UC Davis
- Michele Tobias - UC Davis
- Mike Treichler - UC Davis
- Tara Athan
- Alan Glennon - spatial@ucsb
- Brian Hamlin (darkblue_b) - Berkeley
- Joe Larson (j03lar50n) | CAL FIRE / San Luis Obispo County Fire | Cal Poly - SLO Alumni
- Steve Citron (TheSteve0) - Pousty - ICF/Jones&Stokes, San Jose
- Paul Bartsch (osospdb) | UC Santa Barbara | Cal Poly - SLO Alumni
- Ragi Yaser Burhum(rburhum) | Self
- Dylan Beaudette | CA Soil Resource Lab - UC Davis
- Marc Pfister (drwelby) | ENPLAN (Redding)
- Lokesh Bali | Richmond Police
- Matt Lamborn | Pacific Geodata - Napa, CA
- Frank Warmerdam | Google
Fund Raising and Accounts
See the California Chapter Fundraising page for more information on fundraising, donations, and the financial accounts for the California Chapter.
Geodata Access Award
See the Geodata Access Award page for more information on the annual award the California Chapter gives to a California organization in recognition of efforts to promote the free and open access to California GeoData.
Chapter Outreach Speakers
You can find information about California Chapter members that are willing to serve as volunteer speakers at local events on the Outreach Speakers page. This page includes a short biography for each speaker and a list of topics they would be willing to present.
Visit this wiki page for more information about California Chapter meeting minutes.
The main arena for discuss events and ideas in California is the email list, please join. Mailing List Info Page (You subscribe to the mailing list at this page.)
For a list of local group contact information and events see California/Local
- Bay Area User Group (Social) 
California GIS Links
Moved to California/GIS