Difference between revisions of "CodeOfConduct Committee"

From OSGeo
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Separate title for Mission section, changes in wording, (enforcement -> implementation))
 
(22 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The Code Of Conduct Committee is responsible for defining internal workflows and sharing organization knowledge related to the maintenance, implementation, and continued improvement of the OSGeo Code of Conduct ([[Code_Of_Conduct | background-wiki]], [http://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct Official OSGeo Code of Conduct]) which was approved by the OSGeo Board in 2015. (For more on the committee scope, see below.)
 
The Code Of Conduct Committee is responsible for defining internal workflows and sharing organization knowledge related to the maintenance, implementation, and continued improvement of the OSGeo Code of Conduct ([[Code_Of_Conduct | background-wiki]], [http://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct Official OSGeo Code of Conduct]) which was approved by the OSGeo Board in 2015. (For more on the committee scope, see below.)
  
== Membership ==
+
== Code of Conduct Comminication ==
The inaugural co-chairs (serving for a term of one year) will be Kristin Bott and Camille Acey. The committee will consist of a total of 5 members also serving one year terms. The additional three members will be appointed by the co-chairs.
 
  
== Mission ==
+
OSGeo requires our projects, events and communities establish and follow a code of conduct, see [http://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct Official OSGeo Code of Conduct] website page:
Our mission is to assist in making sure that OSGeo continues to be an inclusive and welcoming organization, as such the committee will continue to iterate on the CoC, its implementation, and committee membership in order to ensure that they represent, nurture, and encourage diversity in our community.
 
  
=== Scope ===
+
* [https://berlincodeofconduct.org Berlin Code of Conduct] a community managed code of conduct for events and user groups
* The committee will be responsible for developing and receiving board approval for Code of Conduct implementation policy. Once approved, this policy and associated documentation will be circulated amongst the community.
+
* [https://www.contributor-covenant.org/ contributor-covenant] a community managed code of conduct for open source projects
* In support of the OSGeo Code of Conduct, this committee will work with all community members, with a strong focus on those who moderate OSGeo IRC channels, organize OSGeo gatherings and events (including FOSS4G), as well as those who steer existing OSGeo projects and/or incubate potential new ones.
+
* [https://www.osgeo.org/resources/osgeo-code-of-conduct/ OSGeo Code of Conduct Version 1.0] initial OSGeo code of conduct approved May 2015
* The committee will review and respond to incident reports from participants in OSGeo projects, gatherings, events, and IRC channels.
 
* The committee will maintain the list of individuals restricted from OSGeo activities and retain a copy of all incident reports.  
 
* The committee will serve as a resource to Local Organizing Committees (LOC's) and other groups leading OSGeo activities and events.
 
  
== Communication ==
+
Reporting:
The group maintains a public mailing list at codeofconduct@osgeo.org and a private committee-only mailing list at codeofconduct-private@osgeo.org. Confidential and sensitive information will be discussed only on the private mailing list. The CoC Committee will have a monthly private meeting (in their venue of choice). The committee is available to hold public meetings upon request (e.g. in IRC).
 
  
== Documents/Resources ==
+
* conduct-report@osgeo.org
  
==== Code of Conduct Workflow Discussions ====
+
Committee:
  
'''SOTM - OSGeo CoC Implementation BoF Session - 5 June 2015
+
* coc-discuss@osgeo.org is used by committee members, and is available to assist OSGeo groups establish their code of conduct
'''
 
''
 
  
Some notes from our discussion
+
== Membership ==
''
 
- Consider adding CoC to RFP for all upcoming OSGeo events
 
  
-- not sure how to deal w/ this retroactively / for ongoing projects
+
The inaugural co-chairs (serving for a term of one year) were Kristin Bott and Camille Acey. (Note: [https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/coc-discuss/2015-November/000027.html Camille stepped down] 2015/11/18.)The committee will be open and maintain an open mailing list (coc-discuss@osgeo.org) but will maintain a smaller voting committee (which can be contacted on their private mailing list at conduct-report@osgeo.org) to report conduct incidents and violations. This smaller committee will consist of a total of 5 members also serving one year terms. The additional 3 members will be appointed by the co-chairs.
  
- Would it be possible to codify/package CoC implementation ideas/methods
+
Membership:
  
- Need to make sure that we engage a variety of people in these discussions; different cultural contexts/backgrounds
+
* Co-Chair: Maria Arias
 +
* Co-Chair: Vicky Vergara
 +
* Jody Garnett
 +
* Michael Smith
  
- Remember that moderators (for listservs, of etc) need support and resources for dealing w/ difficult situations
+
Prior members:
  
- OSM/F as an example of a place where support might be needed; consider joining to support this type of work in that venue, perhaps...
+
* Kristin Bot
 +
* Camille Acey
  
- Not going to come up with the full process today but going to organize “To-Dos”, focus on OSGeo
+
== Mission ==
 +
Our mission is to assist in making sure that OSGeo continues to be an inclusive and welcoming organization; we will accomplish this by (1) guiding policy around the CoC and other initiatives to increase diversity and (2) dealing with reports of violations of the CoC. The CoC committee will continue to iterate on the CoC, its implementation, and committee membership in order to ensure that they represent, nurture, and encourage diversity in our community.
  
- Different groups deal with enforcement in different ways.  
+
== Name ==
 +
We believe that an explicitly-named committee evidences OSGeo’s commitment to the CoC. As such we wish to retain the name of “Code of Conduct Committee”.
  
- OSM has a mailing list policy buried in the wiki somewhere (so buried I couldn’t find it)
+
=== Scope ===
 +
* The committee will be responsible for developing and receiving board approval for Code of Conduct (CoC) implementation policy. Once approved, this policy and associated documentation will be circulated amongst the community.
 +
* In support of the OSGeo Code of Conduct, the committee will work with all community members, with a strong focus on those who moderate OSGeo IRC channels, organize OSGeo gatherings and events (including FOSS4G), as well as those who steer existing OSGeo projects and/or incubate new projects.
 +
* The committee will review and respond to reports of violations of the CoC from participants in OSGeo projects, gatherings, events, and IRC channels. “Violations” refers to any acts by individuals or groups who repeatedly act in a way that is contrary to the stated priorities of OSGeo as an organization (i.e. the board-approved CoC).
 +
* The committee will maintain an archive/repository of such violations as well as any organizational decisions around individuals’ conduct/participation (e.g. names of banned individuals); the OSGeo LOCs, moderators, and/or board will absolutely continue to determine whether/not individuals are welcome to participate in OSGeo events / projects / forums.
 +
* The committee will serve as a resource to Local Organizing Committees (LOC's), moderators, and other individuals and groups leading OSGeo activities, projects, and events.
  
- open forum enforces the status quo
+
== Dealing With Code of Conduct Violations/ Reports of Violations ==
 +
The CoC committee has no desire to blacklist individuals or provide a heavy-handed "police-like" role. Instead, we aim to serve as a resource to LOCs, moderators and the board, and to continue to iterate towards more inclusive practice/policy, as well as to help to maintain institutional knowledge about CoC violations and the decisions the LOCs, moderators, and/or board make with regard to those violations. “Violations” refers to any acts by individuals or groups who repeatedly act in a way that is contrary to the stated priorities of OSGeo as an organization (i.e. the board-approved CoC).
  
to do's
+
We intend to maintain an archive/repository of such incidents as well as any organizational (e.g. board or LOC) decisions around individuals’ conduct/participation (e.g. official warnings issues, any official investigations, and names of banned individuals). The OSGeo LOCs, moderators, and/or board will continue to determine whether/not individuals are welcome to participate in OSGeo events / projects / forums.
- Form a code of conduct committee in OSGeo; purpose is (1) Knowledge transfer year to year (2) Deal with enforcement
 
  
- Checklists to create: (1) reporting guidelines (2) incident reports
+
== Communication and Privacy ==
  
-The code of conduct should be part of the RFP template for the FOSS4G conference process; (1) have suggestions/guidelines (2) part of the application will state how the organizers will implement the code of conduct (part of RFP scoring)
+
The group will maintain a public mailing list at [https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/coc-discuss coc-discuss@osgeo.org] ([https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/coc-discuss/ list archives]).
  
- Split up the pieces -- figure out how to trickle CoC into all aspects of the organization (Conferences, mailing lists, IRC, etc.)
+
The email address conduct-report@osgeo.org is intended for confidential and sensitive information, with incidents discussed privately (not recorded on a public mailing list). The Code of Conduct Committee meetings are held private meeting (in their venue of choice). The committee is available to hold public meetings upon request (e.g. in IRC to help a project team establish a code of conduct).
  
- Process of projects joining OSGeo be comply with CoC
+
== Documents/Resources ==
 
 
Proposed MAJOR next step:
 
 
 
Consider creating a formal Code of Conduct committee to formally handle creating reporting guidelines, responding to incidents, enforcing the CoC (including creating language and identifying actions for dealing with the perpetrators of incidents, tracking warned or suspended individuals over time (institutional knowledge), deciding when to allow suspended individuals back to OSGeo spaces (events, listservs, etc).
 
 
 
=== Resources ===
 
 
 
''' Reporting Guidelines
 
'''
 
 
 
Source: https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct/reporting/
 
 
 
Source: https://www.drupal.org/governance/community-working-group/incident-report
 
 
 
'''Responding/Enforcement
 
''
 
'Source: https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct/enforcement-manual/
 
 
 
Source: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Responding_to_reports
 
 
 
Source: http://docs.puppetlabs.com/community/community_guidelines.html
 
 
 
Source: https://github.com/python/pycon-code-of-conduct?files=1
 
 
 
'''Language/Actions for Dealing with Banned Person
 
'''
 
 
 
''Sample Language When Banned Person Attempts to Register
 
''
 
''
 
Dear Name
 
 
 
Thank you for your interest in attending This Event. Unfortunately, we
 
are not able to accommodate your attendance at this event. We
 
apologize for the inconvenience, and have issued a full refund to your
 
credit card.
 
 
 
Many thanks
 
 
 
Event Organizer
 
 
 
'''
 
 
 
'''Keeping Track of Banned Individuals'''
 
'''
 
Source: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/86 (note: value in tracking, but concerns about having history be public-facing)
 
 
 
''' When/How to Let Banned People Come Back
 
Source: https://adainitiative.org/2014/07/guest-post-harassment-isnt-an-interpersonal-issue-its-a-health-and-safety-issue/
 
  
Source: https://adainitiative.org/2014/07/guest-post-deciding-if-or-when-a-harasser-may-return-to-an-event/
+
Additional committee documents and resources can be found at [[CodeofConduct_Documents]]
*
 
  
 
[[Category:Committees]]
 
[[Category:Committees]]
 
[[Category:Board Approval Pending]]
 
[[Category:Board Approval Pending]]

Latest revision as of 13:40, 14 January 2020

The Code Of Conduct Committee is responsible for defining internal workflows and sharing organization knowledge related to the maintenance, implementation, and continued improvement of the OSGeo Code of Conduct ( background-wiki, Official OSGeo Code of Conduct) which was approved by the OSGeo Board in 2015. (For more on the committee scope, see below.)

Code of Conduct Comminication

OSGeo requires our projects, events and communities establish and follow a code of conduct, see Official OSGeo Code of Conduct website page:

Reporting:

  • conduct-report@osgeo.org

Committee:

  • coc-discuss@osgeo.org is used by committee members, and is available to assist OSGeo groups establish their code of conduct

Membership

The inaugural co-chairs (serving for a term of one year) were Kristin Bott and Camille Acey. (Note: Camille stepped down 2015/11/18.)The committee will be open and maintain an open mailing list (coc-discuss@osgeo.org) but will maintain a smaller voting committee (which can be contacted on their private mailing list at conduct-report@osgeo.org) to report conduct incidents and violations. This smaller committee will consist of a total of 5 members also serving one year terms. The additional 3 members will be appointed by the co-chairs.

Membership:

  • Co-Chair: Maria Arias
  • Co-Chair: Vicky Vergara
  • Jody Garnett
  • Michael Smith

Prior members:

  • Kristin Bot
  • Camille Acey

Mission

Our mission is to assist in making sure that OSGeo continues to be an inclusive and welcoming organization; we will accomplish this by (1) guiding policy around the CoC and other initiatives to increase diversity and (2) dealing with reports of violations of the CoC. The CoC committee will continue to iterate on the CoC, its implementation, and committee membership in order to ensure that they represent, nurture, and encourage diversity in our community.

Name

We believe that an explicitly-named committee evidences OSGeo’s commitment to the CoC. As such we wish to retain the name of “Code of Conduct Committee”.

Scope

  • The committee will be responsible for developing and receiving board approval for Code of Conduct (CoC) implementation policy. Once approved, this policy and associated documentation will be circulated amongst the community.
  • In support of the OSGeo Code of Conduct, the committee will work with all community members, with a strong focus on those who moderate OSGeo IRC channels, organize OSGeo gatherings and events (including FOSS4G), as well as those who steer existing OSGeo projects and/or incubate new projects.
  • The committee will review and respond to reports of violations of the CoC from participants in OSGeo projects, gatherings, events, and IRC channels. “Violations” refers to any acts by individuals or groups who repeatedly act in a way that is contrary to the stated priorities of OSGeo as an organization (i.e. the board-approved CoC).
  • The committee will maintain an archive/repository of such violations as well as any organizational decisions around individuals’ conduct/participation (e.g. names of banned individuals); the OSGeo LOCs, moderators, and/or board will absolutely continue to determine whether/not individuals are welcome to participate in OSGeo events / projects / forums.
  • The committee will serve as a resource to Local Organizing Committees (LOC's), moderators, and other individuals and groups leading OSGeo activities, projects, and events.

Dealing With Code of Conduct Violations/ Reports of Violations

The CoC committee has no desire to blacklist individuals or provide a heavy-handed "police-like" role. Instead, we aim to serve as a resource to LOCs, moderators and the board, and to continue to iterate towards more inclusive practice/policy, as well as to help to maintain institutional knowledge about CoC violations and the decisions the LOCs, moderators, and/or board make with regard to those violations. “Violations” refers to any acts by individuals or groups who repeatedly act in a way that is contrary to the stated priorities of OSGeo as an organization (i.e. the board-approved CoC).

We intend to maintain an archive/repository of such incidents as well as any organizational (e.g. board or LOC) decisions around individuals’ conduct/participation (e.g. official warnings issues, any official investigations, and names of banned individuals). The OSGeo LOCs, moderators, and/or board will continue to determine whether/not individuals are welcome to participate in OSGeo events / projects / forums.

Communication and Privacy

The group will maintain a public mailing list at coc-discuss@osgeo.org (list archives).

The email address conduct-report@osgeo.org is intended for confidential and sensitive information, with incidents discussed privately (not recorded on a public mailing list). The Code of Conduct Committee meetings are held private meeting (in their venue of choice). The committee is available to hold public meetings upon request (e.g. in IRC to help a project team establish a code of conduct).

Documents/Resources

Additional committee documents and resources can be found at CodeofConduct_Documents