Difference between revisions of "Europe"

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search
m (List of initial members)
(Why should OSGeo have a European local chapter)
 
(26 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
= Europe =
 
= Europe =
  
Welcome to the wiki page of the Europe OSGeo chapter.
+
Welcome to the wiki page of the Europe OSGeo chapter.<br>
 +
Date of birth: 20-07-2017<br>
 +
Place of Birth: FOSS4G 2017 Europe - Paris<br>
 +
<br>
 +
more coordinates:<br>
 +
<br>
 +
OPEN SOURCE GEOSPATIAL - EUROPE<br>
 +
OSGeo - Europe<br>
 +
BIC ARSPBE22<br>
 +
BE47 9731 8951 3580<br>
 +
<br>
 +
organisation registered with the refnr:BE 0689915666<br>
  
 
== ToDo list ==
 
== ToDo list ==
  
* Decide about the legal structure  
+
* Decide about the legal structure: Done: (BOF FOSS4G Paris)
* Write meeting report of the meeting October 5 2016 (Maria - Vasile - Dirk)
+
* Recognize the formation of the osgeo european chapter: Done: (F2F meeting Board OSGeo - Boston)
 +
* publish the Bylaws (status: signed the papers / send for publication) (Done: FOSS4G Paris 2017)
 +
* Create activity calender (status: 2discuss December 15 2017) (In progress / Discussed on FOSS4G 2018 - Guimaraes)
 +
* Set up priorities and goals for 2017/2018 (status: 2discuss December 15 2017) (In progress / Discussed on FOSS4G 2018 - Guimaraes)
 +
* Write meeting report of the meeting October 5 2016 (Maria - Vasile - Dirk): obsolete - did not happen
  
 
== Introduction ==
 
== Introduction ==
Line 24: Line 39:
 
* Europe has specific needs in terms adoption rate of open source software.
 
* Europe has specific needs in terms adoption rate of open source software.
 
* An important initiative called 'INSPIRE' needs specific localised attention.
 
* An important initiative called 'INSPIRE' needs specific localised attention.
* OSGeo.EU is a sparring partner and representation (Single point of contact) for the European institutions in Brussels on behalve OSGeo, the other committees, local chapters and projects. Giving the existing local chapters a voice in Brussels.
+
* OSGeo Europe act as a sparring partner and representation (Single point of contact) for the European institutions in Brussels on behalve OSGeo, the other committees, local chapters and projects. Giving the existing local chapters a voice in Brussels.
 
* Europe also has specific business ecosystem.
 
* Europe also has specific business ecosystem.
 
** more than 99% of all the European businesses are SME's
 
** more than 99% of all the European businesses are SME's
Line 52: Line 67:
 
* Organisation of events
 
* Organisation of events
  
* Networking with other typically European organisations and groups (notably OSM, JRC, European projects, FIWARE, EUROGI, SMESpire, ... )
+
* Networking with other typically European organisations and groups (notably OSM, JRC, ESA, European projects, FIWARE, EUROGI, SMESpire, ... )
  
 
* Being logical parter to European Commission to discuss about open source software for geospatial and open geospatial data
 
* Being logical parter to European Commission to discuss about open source software for geospatial and open geospatial data
Line 61: Line 76:
 
founding members (alphabetic?? - first name):
 
founding members (alphabetic?? - first name):
  
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Dirkf Dirk Frigne] - Vice president
+
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Dirkf Dirk Frigne] - President OSGeo Europe - Board member OSGeo Europe 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Vasile Vasile Crăciunescu] - board member
+
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Vasile Vasile Crăciunescu] - board member  
* [[Jáchym Čepický]] - Secretary of OSGeo
+
* [[Jáchym Čepický]] - Secretary OSGeo Europe - Board member OSGeo Europe
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Schpidi Stephan Meißl] - charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Schpidi Stephan Meißl] - charter member
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Till_Adams Till Adams] - charter member
+
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Till_Adams Till Adams] - charter member - Board member OSGeo Europe
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:MarcVloemans Marc Vloemans] - Charter member
+
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:MarcVloemans Marc Vloemans] - Charter member - Treasurer OSGeo Europe
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Neteler Markus Neteler] - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Neteler Markus Neteler] - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Jgrocha Jorge Gustavo Rocha] - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Jgrocha Jorge Gustavo Rocha] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Alexbruy Alexander Bruy] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Alexbruy Alexander Bruy] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:OliverMay Oliver May] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:OliverMay Oliver May] - Charter member
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Delawen María Arias de Reyna] - charter member
+
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Delawen María Arias de Reyna] - Charter member - President OSGeo - Board member OSGeo Europe
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Angelos_Tzotsos Angelos Tzotsos] - Board member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Angelos_Tzotsos Angelos Tzotsos] - Board member
* [[Jeff McKenna]] - President Emeritus
+
* [[Jeff McKenna]] - President Emeritus OSGeo
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:ianturton Ian Turton] - charter member
+
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:ianturton Ian Turton] - charter member - Board member OSGeo Europe
 
* [[Jorge Sanz]] - Charter member
 
* [[Jorge Sanz]] - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:djay Gérald Fenoy] - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:djay Gérald Fenoy] - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:ajolma Ari Jolma] - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:ajolma Ari Jolma] - Charter member
* Kari Salovaara - Charter member
+
* Kari Salovaara - Charter member - - Board member OSGeo Europe
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Milena_Nowotarska Milena Nowotarska] Milena Nowotarska - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Milena_Nowotarska Milena Nowotarska] Milena Nowotarska - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Maxi71 Massimiliano Cannata] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Maxi71 Massimiliano Cannata] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Nbozon Nicolas Bozon] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Nbozon Nicolas Bozon] - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Maria Maria Brovelli]  - Board member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Maria Maria Brovelli]  - Board member
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Silvia_franceschi Silvia Franceschi]  - Charter member
+
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Silli Silvia Franceschi]  - Charter member
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Andrea_antonello Andrea Antonello]  - Charter member
+
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:moovida Andrea Antonello]  - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Mantonovic Milan Antonovic]  - Charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Mantonovic Milan Antonovic]  - Charter member
 
* Mirko Cardoso  - Charter member
 
* Mirko Cardoso  - Charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Mlechner Marco Lechner] - charter member
 
* [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Mlechner Marco Lechner] - charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Helmut_Kudrnovsky Helmut Kudrnovsky] - charter member
 
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Helmut_Kudrnovsky Helmut Kudrnovsky] - charter member
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Stevenfeldman Steven Feldman] - Charter member
+
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Stevenfeldman Steven Feldman] - Charter member
 +
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Tfr42 Torsten Friebe] - Charter member
 +
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Peter_Loewe Peter Löwe] - Charter member
 +
* [[Arnulf Christl]]
 +
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Robert_Szczepanek Robert Szczepanek] - Charter member
 +
* [https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Nikos_Alexandris Nikos Alexandris] - Charter member
  
 
== Some early stuff ==
 
== Some early stuff ==
Line 106: Line 126:
  
 
== Tradeshows and events ==
 
== Tradeshows and events ==
* European Events where OSGeo is represented
+
OSGeo will be present at following events:
  
===ISPRS===
+
===FOSS4G Europe 2018===
 +
* [https://www.osgeo.org/events/foss4g-europe-2018/ FOSS4G Europe]  Guimarães, Portugal, from July 17 to 19th, 2018.
 +
 
 +
* topic talks - volunteers
 +
* contact: [[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 +
 
 +
Since FOSS4G Bonn we introduced 'Topic' talks to bring certain topics into the picture. We want to continue this interesting forum on the next FOSS4G Europe conference.
 +
 
 +
We already addressed some interesting topics during some previous mail communication[1]:
 +
These topics only become final if we can add a name of a volunteer behind them who want to address this topic during a topic talk.
 +
The list may be appended, changed, etc...
 +
Feel free to put your name behind a topic or suggest someone we should ask.
 +
 
 +
{| border="1" cellpadding="2" class="wikitable sortable"
 +
!width="25"|No
 +
!width="400"|Topic talk subject
 +
!width="200"|Leader
 +
!width="500"|Interested in the topic, I want to help/join (add your name)
 +
|-
 +
| 1 ||relation and actions towards OGC||Add name of volunteer leader|| [[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 +
|-
 +
| 2 ||relation and actions towards ESA|| Add name of volunteer leader|| [[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 +
|-
 +
| 3 ||relations and actions towards Copernicus||Add name of volunteer leader||[[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 +
|-
 +
| 4 ||relations and actions towards INSPIRE||Add name of volunteer leader||[[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 +
|-
 +
| 5 ||How can we manage the OSGeo Europe Local Chapter website|||[[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]||add name
 +
|-
 +
| 6 ||relationship with the outside OSGeo world in Europe - vision and action plan||[[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]||add name
 +
|-
 +
| 7 ||OSGeo (Europe) and Open Sciencec (Europe)||Add name of volunteer leader||[[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 +
|-
 +
| 8 ||OSGeo/ FOSS4G-Europe welcomes new volunteers to the OSGeo community ||[[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]||add name
 +
|-
 +
| # ||Topic Talk Subject || Name of volunteer leader || names of people attending/helping
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
 
 +
===Past Events===
 +
* For our records: European Events where OSGeo was represented
 +
 
 +
====ISPRS====
 
[[ISPRS 2016]]
 
[[ISPRS 2016]]
 
* contact: [[User:Jachym|Jachym]]
 
* contact: [[User:Jachym|Jachym]]
  
=== FOSSDEM ===
+
==== FOSSDEM ====
  
 
[https://fosdem.org/2016/practical/ FOSSDEM 2016]
 
[https://fosdem.org/2016/practical/ FOSSDEM 2016]
 
* contact: [[User:johanvdw|Johanvdw]]
 
* contact: [[User:johanvdw|Johanvdw]]
  
=== GWF2016 ===
+
==== GWF2016 ====
 
[http://geospatialworldforum.org/ GWF 2016]
 
[http://geospatialworldforum.org/ GWF 2016]
 
* contact: [[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 
* contact: [[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
  
=== FOSS4G 2016 ===
+
==== FOSS4G 2016 ====
 
[http://2016.foss4g.org/home.html FOSS4G 2016 Bonn]
 
[http://2016.foss4g.org/home.html FOSS4G 2016 Bonn]
 
* OSGeo Europe local chapter BoF https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenfeldman/29294641505/in/pool-foss4g/
 
* OSGeo Europe local chapter BoF https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenfeldman/29294641505/in/pool-foss4g/
 
* contact: [[User:MarcVloemans|Marc Vloemans]]
 
* contact: [[User:MarcVloemans|Marc Vloemans]]
  
=== FOSS4G 2017 ===
+
==== FOSS4G 2017 ====
 
[http://europe.foss4g.org/2017/ FOSS4G 2017 Paris]
 
[http://europe.foss4g.org/2017/ FOSS4G 2017 Paris]
 
* topic talks - volunteers
 
* topic talks - volunteers
Line 136: Line 198:
 
** TT05 The future of SDI
 
** TT05 The future of SDI
 
** TT06 Economics of FOSS4G - "Sustainability of OSGeo projects"
 
** TT06 Economics of FOSS4G - "Sustainability of OSGeo projects"
 +
 +
==== INSPIRE 2017 Kehl / Strasbourg ====
 +
[https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/events/inspire-conference-2017 INSPIRE Conference 2017 Kehl / Strasbourg]
 +
<br />
 +
Goal is to promote OSGeo during the conference. One of the actions is a presentation of the OSGeo-Live environment, also ready for INSPIRE.
 +
<br />
 +
following OSGeo members are attending: 
 +
* [[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]] - 4 - 8 sept 2017
 +
* Add your name here if you attend
 +
 +
==== DI4R / Brussels ====
 +
[https://www.digitalinfrastructures.eu/ Digital Infrastructures for Research]
 +
<br />
 +
Goal is to promote OSGeo during the conference by poster presentation.
 +
<br />
 +
following OSGeo members are attending: 
 +
* [[User:Peter_Loewe|Peter Löwe]] - 30 Nov - 1 Dec 2017
 +
* Add your name here if you attend
 +
 +
==== EGU GA 2018 / Vienna ====
 +
[https://www.egu2018.eu/ European Geoscience Union General Assembly]
 +
<br />
 +
A OSGeo Townhall (evening event) is being conducted (a permanent fixture at the conference since 2014).
 +
<br />
 +
Open Source themed PICO session in the Earth and Space Science Informatics Division
 +
<br />
 +
 +
following OSGeo members are attending: 
 +
* [[User:Peter_Loewe|Peter Löwe]]
 +
* Add your name here if you attend
  
 
== Communication & Comments ==
 
== Communication & Comments ==
Line 141: Line 233:
 
=== Mailing list ===
 
=== Mailing list ===
  
* OSGeo Europe ([https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/eu subscribe]) ([http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/European-Union-Chapter-f5250537.html search])
+
* OSGeo Europe ([https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/europe subscribe]) ([http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/European-Union-Chapter-f5250537.html search])
 +
 
 +
=== IRC Chat ===
  
=== Meeting minutes ===
+
* IRC-channel: #osgeo-europe channel on freenode.net
 +
* how to connect: choose your favorite IRC client, or go directly through browser with [https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=osgeo-europe webchat]
  
 +
=== Meeting minutes - before founding ===
 
==== Meeting 24 May 2016 ====
 
==== Meeting 24 May 2016 ====
 
* workshop on the initial wiki page - discussion mission and goals
 
* workshop on the initial wiki page - discussion mission and goals
Line 163: Line 259:
 
==== BoF 19 Jul 2017 ====
 
==== BoF 19 Jul 2017 ====
 
* bof at FOSS4G-Europe [[Europe-meeting-2017-07|2017_07_19]]
 
* bof at FOSS4G-Europe [[Europe-meeting-2017-07|2017_07_19]]
 +
 +
=== Board meeting - meeting minutes ===
 +
==== Next Board Meeting 30 April 2018 17:00 CET====
 +
Apparently nobody showed up for the meeting.<BR>
 +
Holiday season?<BR>
 +
I 've got an appology from Marc Vloemans, but no reaction from the other board members.
 +
I will reschedule the meeting so more people of the board can attend...<BR>
 +
 +
 +
* OSGeo Europe - Funding
 +
Funding 2000 Euro of seed money granted.This is sufficient to pay the startup bills for registering The OSGeo Europe organisation.<br>
 +
We should schedule a point on the next board meeting to think how we can generate income to make a sustainable organisation possible without cannibalising on local chapters or current sponsors.<BR>
 +
 +
* FOSS4G Europe - topic talks
 +
If we want to organise topic talks on the next FOSS4G conference in Portugal, we will have to start with a programme, and advertise the content. (As indicated by Markus and Till).
 +
We need volunteers to organise the topics. Who will volunteer?
 +
 +
 +
* Meeting Copernicus project
 +
There was a meeting with Till Adams and Dirk Frigne with Annekatrien,  who is working as a consultant for the copernicus project.
 +
The goal is to set up a plan how we can create a working relationship between the European commision and OSGEo.<BR>
 +
Dirk will followup with Annekatrien how we can proceed.
 +
 +
* other topics?
 +
A next meeting with people from the OSGeo Europe Local chapter board will be scheduled asap.
 +
 +
==== Meeting 15 December 2017 ====
 +
* Kickoffmeeting [[board-Europe-meeting-2017-12|2017_12_15]] 16:00 CET
 +
 +
 +
  
 
[[Category:Local Chapters]]
 
[[Category:Local Chapters]]
 
[[Category:Europe]]
 
[[Category:Europe]]

Latest revision as of 01:14, 21 July 2018

Europe

Welcome to the wiki page of the Europe OSGeo chapter.
Date of birth: 20-07-2017
Place of Birth: FOSS4G 2017 Europe - Paris

more coordinates:

OPEN SOURCE GEOSPATIAL - EUROPE
OSGeo - Europe
BIC ARSPBE22
BE47 9731 8951 3580

organisation registered with the refnr:BE 0689915666

ToDo list

  • Decide about the legal structure: Done: (BOF FOSS4G Paris)
  • Recognize the formation of the osgeo european chapter: Done: (F2F meeting Board OSGeo - Boston)
  • publish the Bylaws (status: signed the papers / send for publication) (Done: FOSS4G Paris 2017)
  • Create activity calender (status: 2discuss December 15 2017) (In progress / Discussed on FOSS4G 2018 - Guimaraes)
  • Set up priorities and goals for 2017/2018 (status: 2discuss December 15 2017) (In progress / Discussed on FOSS4G 2018 - Guimaraes)
  • Write meeting report of the meeting October 5 2016 (Maria - Vasile - Dirk): obsolete - did not happen

Introduction

FOSS4G Europe is rooted in the FOSS4G Central and Eastern Europe conference series, back in 2012. The latter evolved in 2014 as the first edition of FOSS4G Europe in Bremen. The conference is now becoming the main european FOSS4G event, gathering people and OSGeo local chapters from all over Europe and beyond.

Since the conference in Bremen, thoughts and ideas where exchanged to organise OSGeo more on a European basis. The Industry group was started, a platform of people supporting the idea arose, but there was no real initiative for action.

This year we (OSGeoEU) have the ambition to organise a legal entity OSGEO-EU to create a stronger software group in Europe to defend the rights of open source from the perspective of the Geo-ecosystem.

In preparation for this official expression of interest, a couple of meetings have already taken place. a physical BOF @FOSS4G 2014 in Bremen, some mails, a BOF @FOSS4G 2015 in Como and some one physical meetings.

Why should OSGeo have a European local chapter

  • Europe has specific needs in terms adoption rate of open source software.
  • An important initiative called 'INSPIRE' needs specific localised attention.
  • OSGeo Europe act as a sparring partner and representation (Single point of contact) for the European institutions in Brussels on behalve OSGeo, the other committees, local chapters and projects. Giving the existing local chapters a voice in Brussels.
  • Europe also has specific business ecosystem.
    • more than 99% of all the European businesses are SME's
    • software industry in Europe is as big as the software industry in the US, but the driving forces are more divided
    • FLOSS can be used as an opportunity to create a strong industry leadership in Europe
    • OSGeo.EU can play a supporting role in this process

Mission and objectives

After discussion amongst the active local chapter members we come to the following list of mission objectives:

  • Community-building and networking around specific European themes
  • support the European OSGeo members using FOSS4G software, help them to organise and bring into contact with governmental agencies and research institutes. Help them with European funded projects.
  • encourage interoperability in European projects
  • support European open standards and European directives such as INSPIRE
  • provide support for the use of OSGeo software in education via European curriculum development, outreach, and capacity building
  • to encourage communication between the different European local chapters
  • to encourage different communities to work together where relevant
  • Organisation of events
  • Networking with other typically European organisations and groups (notably OSM, JRC, ESA, European projects, FIWARE, EUROGI, SMESpire, ... )
  • Being logical parter to European Commission to discuss about open source software for geospatial and open geospatial data

List of initial members

The European OSGeo Chapter has the support of the following initial founding members (alphabetic?? - first name):

Some early stuff

Local_Chapter_EU_History History

Building relations with other European communities

SMESpire

  • Goal: look if SMESPire is a good platform to organise the European FOSS Geo-ICT industry
  • action: contact Giacomo Martirano / action: Dirk Frigne - ongoing

FIWare

  • [[1]]
  • action: investigate if structural relationship can be of interest for OSGeo.

new entry

  • reference to the event
  • register your name if you will participate

Tradeshows and events

OSGeo will be present at following events:

FOSS4G Europe 2018

Since FOSS4G Bonn we introduced 'Topic' talks to bring certain topics into the picture. We want to continue this interesting forum on the next FOSS4G Europe conference.

We already addressed some interesting topics during some previous mail communication[1]: These topics only become final if we can add a name of a volunteer behind them who want to address this topic during a topic talk. The list may be appended, changed, etc... Feel free to put your name behind a topic or suggest someone we should ask.

No Topic talk subject Leader Interested in the topic, I want to help/join (add your name)
1 relation and actions towards OGC Add name of volunteer leader Dirk Frigne
2 relation and actions towards ESA Add name of volunteer leader Dirk Frigne
3 relations and actions towards Copernicus Add name of volunteer leader Dirk Frigne
4 relations and actions towards INSPIRE Add name of volunteer leader Dirk Frigne
5 How can we manage the OSGeo Europe Local Chapter website Dirk Frigne add name
6 relationship with the outside OSGeo world in Europe - vision and action plan Dirk Frigne add name
7 OSGeo (Europe) and Open Sciencec (Europe) Add name of volunteer leader Dirk Frigne
8 OSGeo/ FOSS4G-Europe welcomes new volunteers to the OSGeo community Dirk Frigne add name
# Topic Talk Subject Name of volunteer leader names of people attending/helping


Past Events

  • For our records: European Events where OSGeo was represented

ISPRS

ISPRS 2016

FOSSDEM

FOSSDEM 2016

GWF2016

GWF 2016

FOSS4G 2016

FOSS4G 2016 Bonn

FOSS4G 2017

FOSS4G 2017 Paris

  • topic talks - volunteers
  • contact: Dirk Frigne
    • TT01 An overview of the best Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial
    • TT02 OSGeo-Live for INSPIRE
    • TT03 Sustainability of OSGeo projects
    • TT04 FOSS4G-Europe welcomes new volunteers to the OSGeo community
    • TT05 The future of SDI
    • TT06 Economics of FOSS4G - "Sustainability of OSGeo projects"

INSPIRE 2017 Kehl / Strasbourg

INSPIRE Conference 2017 Kehl / Strasbourg
Goal is to promote OSGeo during the conference. One of the actions is a presentation of the OSGeo-Live environment, also ready for INSPIRE.
following OSGeo members are attending:

  • Dirk Frigne - 4 - 8 sept 2017
  • Add your name here if you attend

DI4R / Brussels

Digital Infrastructures for Research
Goal is to promote OSGeo during the conference by poster presentation.
following OSGeo members are attending:

  • Peter Löwe - 30 Nov - 1 Dec 2017
  • Add your name here if you attend

EGU GA 2018 / Vienna

European Geoscience Union General Assembly
A OSGeo Townhall (evening event) is being conducted (a permanent fixture at the conference since 2014).
Open Source themed PICO session in the Earth and Space Science Informatics Division

following OSGeo members are attending:

Communication & Comments

Mailing list

IRC Chat

  • IRC-channel: #osgeo-europe channel on freenode.net
  • how to connect: choose your favorite IRC client, or go directly through browser with webchat

Meeting minutes - before founding

Meeting 24 May 2016

  • workshop on the initial wiki page - discussion mission and goals
  • change the status from draft to final
  • decide for formal proposal to the next board meeting
  • attendees:


Till Adams (Fossgis)
Marc Vloemans (Chair Marketing committee)
Dirk Frigne (Vice President OSGeo)
Pieter De Graef (Charter member)
Gert-Jan van der Weijden (OSGeo.nl)
Johan Van de Wauw (OSGeo.be)

BoF 24 Aug 2016

BoF 19 Jul 2017

Board meeting - meeting minutes

Next Board Meeting 30 April 2018 17:00 CET

Apparently nobody showed up for the meeting.
Holiday season?
I 've got an appology from Marc Vloemans, but no reaction from the other board members. I will reschedule the meeting so more people of the board can attend...


  • OSGeo Europe - Funding

Funding 2000 Euro of seed money granted.This is sufficient to pay the startup bills for registering The OSGeo Europe organisation.
We should schedule a point on the next board meeting to think how we can generate income to make a sustainable organisation possible without cannibalising on local chapters or current sponsors.

  • FOSS4G Europe - topic talks

If we want to organise topic talks on the next FOSS4G conference in Portugal, we will have to start with a programme, and advertise the content. (As indicated by Markus and Till). We need volunteers to organise the topics. Who will volunteer?


  • Meeting Copernicus project

There was a meeting with Till Adams and Dirk Frigne with Annekatrien, who is working as a consultant for the copernicus project. The goal is to set up a plan how we can create a working relationship between the European commision and OSGEo.
Dirk will followup with Annekatrien how we can proceed.

  • other topics?

A next meeting with people from the OSGeo Europe Local chapter board will be scheduled asap.

Meeting 15 December 2017