Difference between revisions of "FOSS4G2006"

From OSGeo
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(add category so page can be found)
 
(102 intermediate revisions by 14 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[Conference_Committee | << Back to Conference_Committee]]
 +
 
[[Image:LogoFoss4g.png]]
 
[[Image:LogoFoss4g.png]]
 
The wiki is only for organizers. Please see also [http://www.foss4g2006.org FOSS4G2006 website].
 
The wiki is only for organizers. Please see also [http://www.foss4g2006.org FOSS4G2006 website].
Line 30: Line 32:
  
 
'''Each room will have a "local admin" to help workshop givers to prepare.'''
 
'''Each room will have a "local admin" to help workshop givers to prepare.'''
 
'''Preparation will be done the day before (Monday for Tuesday and Tuesday for Wednesday).'''
 
 
== Technical considerations ==
 
=== PCs ===
 
Workshop distribution in rooms depends on the success of each workshop.
 
Laptops can be used to adjust each room capacity.
 
Moreover we will ask Dell if they could give us some PCs (they did it for LinuxDays.ch)
 
 
=== OS ===
 
PCs are all using WinXP ! Few have a Suse/WinXP dual boot.
 
'''No worry, we are quiet free to do what we want with all these PCs.'''
 
Each PC will be cleaned before starting each workshop (ghost image), so it's ready for an install course for example.
 
We can install an Ubuntu or what we want...
 
 
=== Network ===
 
Conference area is largely covered with wireless, and easily accessible.
 
And to avoid access point overload, it's planned to add some more.
 
 
For workshops, some rooms have Wireless, but not all. LAN or Wireless will be installed were it needs to be.
 
It's planned to make available a network drive (to store and share data for example).
 
 
=== Use of LiveCD ===
 
''Use of LiveCd during workshops.''
 
 
Some workshop givers have planned to work with their own LiveCD. No problem. So people coming with their laptop can use it.
 
  
 
''FOSS4G2006 LiveCD.''
 
''FOSS4G2006 LiveCD.''
 
Local committee is motivated to build our own FOSS4G2006 LiveCD (based on Knoppix). It could be used during workshops if needed.
 
The purpose is also to offer it to attendees (workshops or all ?).
 
TODO : choose a base (Knoppix) and list the tools (+version) to install.
 
  
 
''Some links.''
 
''Some links.''
Line 69: Line 41:
 
* Mandriva based : [http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/foss4g/ FOSS4G Toolkit CD] --> Hum, it's not a LiveCD !!
 
* Mandriva based : [http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/foss4g/ FOSS4G Toolkit CD] --> Hum, it's not a LiveCD !!
 
* Knoppix based : [http://sourcepole.ch/sources/software/gis-knoppix/ GIS Knoppix]
 
* Knoppix based : [http://sourcepole.ch/sources/software/gis-knoppix/ GIS Knoppix]
 +
* [http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_related_workshops_and_presentations#Live-CD_for_GRASS-related_workshops LiveCD for GRASS Workshops]
  
== Workshops allocation ==
+
= Conference Sessions (Wednesday/Thursday/Friday) =
According current state of registration and workshop wish list (2006.06.28)
+
== Rooms ==
 
 
 
{|
 
{|
|''ID''||''Title''||''Number of registrant with priority 1''
+
|_________________________||___________________
|-
 
|31||Mapbender Workshop||1
 
|-
 
|45||GRASS 3D and visualization||1
 
|-
 
|50||QGIS plugin writer workshop||1
 
 
|-
 
|-
|63||ka-Map Workshop||1
+
|Amphimax 350 || 498 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|76||Building a SDI with OpenJUMP||1
+
| Amphimax 351 || 302 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|25||How to build a Chameleon widget using JSAPI mode and AJAX techniques||2
+
| Amphimax 410 || 180 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|49||Quantum GIS 0.8 Beginner's Workshop||2
+
| Genopode C  || 176 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|53||GRASS GIS and external RDBMS||2
+
| Amphimax 415 || 96 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|60||Advanced features in CartoWeb||2
+
| Cubotron I  || 96 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|13||OSSIM and osgPlanet||3
+
| Cubotron II  || 48 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|19||deegree iGeoPortal||3
+
| Cubotron III || 36 seets
 
|-
 
|-
|36||Advanced MapGuide Open Source Development||3
+
|_________________________||___________________
|-
 
|35||Working with MapBuilder||4
 
|-
 
|48||Power User Workshop: GRASS image processing (with focus on optical and Lidar data)||4
 
|-
 
|52||Introduction to GeoSpatial Collaboration using GeoServer||4
 
|-
 
|38||MapServer OGC Web Services Workshop||5
 
|-
 
|46||Using R with FOSS4G, in particular with GRASS||5
 
|-
 
|17||Using the GeoNetwork opensource Spatial Data Catalog||6
 
|-
 
|26||Rolling Your Own Google Maps||6
 
|-
 
|59||CartoWeb for beginners||9
 
|-
 
|20||Getting Started with MapServer||11
 
|-
 
|42||GRASS GIS Beginner's Workshop||12
 
|-
 
|47||Introduction to PostGIS||14
 
|-
 
|33||MapGuide Open Source Users Workshop||16
 
 
|}
 
|}
  
= Conference Sessions (Wednesday/Thursday/Friday) =
+
== Timetable ==
== Rooms ==
+
See here [https://conference.osgeo.org/files/documents/42/211/TimetableConfs.pdf]
* Amphimax 350 : 498 seets
+
 
* Amphimax 351 : 302 seets
+
== Session chairs '''URGENT''' ==
* Amphimax 410 : 180 seets
+
'''Missions for session chairs :'''
* Amphimax 415 : 96 seets
+
* Timing management in session
 +
* Presentation of the speakers and conference
 +
* Animation of session : questions
 +
 
 +
[http://www.foss4g2006.org/conferenceTimeTable.py?confId=1&showDate=all&showSession=all&detailLevel=contribution&viewMode=parallel Contribution level Timetable]
 +
 
 +
''Proposition :''
 +
 
 +
'''Thursday, 14th AM'''
 +
* Session 1 : T. Kradilis
 +
* Session 2 : D. Morissette
 +
* Session 3 : J. Westervelt
 +
* Session 4 : A. Doyle
 +
* Session 5 : T. Mitchell
 +
* Session 6 : S. Lime
 +
* Session 7 : S. Bayarri
 +
* Session 8 : M. Kanevski
 +
 
 +
'''Thursday, 14th PM'''
 +
* Session 1 : T. Bowden
 +
* Session 2 : J. Liebermann
 +
* Session 3 : M. Neteler
 +
* Session 4 : A. Doyle
 +
* Session 5 : T. Mitchell
 +
* Session 6 : S. Erle
 +
* Session 7 : C. Holmes
 +
* Session 8 : R. Singh
 +
 
 +
'''Friday, 15th AM'''
 +
* Session 9 : A. Turner  & J. Walsh
 +
* Session 10 : D. Mcilhagga
 +
* Session 11 : F. Warmerdam
 +
* Session 12 : H. Mitasova
 +
* Session 13 : H.-J. Stark
 +
* Session 14 : F. Golay
 +
* Session 15 : M. Ciolli
 +
* Session 16 : T. Mitchell
 +
 
 +
= BOFs / DEMOs / Lightning Talks =
 +
== BOFs ==
 +
'''What is a BOF ?'''
 +
* A meeting in which a topic of specific interest is discussed.
  
== Slots capacity ==
+
'''When are BOFs scheduled ?'''
Given :
+
* eh oui quand ça ? just after conferences ?
* Sessions in // : 4
 
* Duration of one presentation : 30 min (including questions and room changing)
 
* 9 slots for Wednesday 13th, 8 slots for Thursday 14th, 5 for Friday 15th (without open/close plenary)
 
  
Then : capacity is near 95
+
'''How to set up a BOF ?'''
 +
* ask directly conference@foss4g2006.org (no more submission through InDiCo)
 +
* what duration do you plan ?
 +
* who are the chairs  ?
 +
* how many participants do you expect ?
  
Remark : Tuesday and Friday, we can also reuse workshop rooms if we need (for some specific conferences, don't know...)
+
'''Some BOFs :'''
  
== Conference papers and reviewing process ==
+
See the [[OSGeo_at_FOSS4G2006#BOFs | list of BoF]] already submitted.
Please see : [https://conference.osgeo.org/files/documents/42/195/FOSS4G2006_abstractsList.pdf list of papers] and to understand the Tracks column, please read [https://conference.osgeo.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentView?documentID=189&noNav=true list of tracks]
 
  
'''Urgent :'''  
+
== DEMOs ==
* build a reviewing committee and dispatch tracks to members (InDiCo term is -track manager-)
+
'''What is a demo ?'''
* define a protocol of reviewing (what are the criterias)
+
* Large space available with table and seets to show a demo on your PC (wifi connexion available)
* when will the reviewing committee give answer to authors ?
 
  
= Lightning Talks, BOFs, Demo =
+
'''When ?'''
* Lightning Talks :
+
* Demo fest is scheduled on Wednesday afternoon in parallel of workshops.
A Lightning Talk is a 5-minute presentation on any topic of interest to the FOSS4G communities.  
+
* Nonetheless, space will be available during the whole conference for on-the-fly demos.  
  
Lightning Talks will be presented back to back with strict enforcement of the 5-minute time limit.
+
'''Some demos :'''
 +
''Submitted through InDiCo :''
 +
* space for a couple GeoServer/GeoTools projects (cholmes@openplans.org)
 +
* A web based GIS solution to capturing everyday "fuzzy" geography. Mr. WATERS, Tim
 +
* Native, standalone Image Map Server project based on UMN Mapserver as possible ArcIMS replacement Mr. ALBARELLO, Andreas
 +
* GeoTracing Mr. VAN DEN BROECKE, Just
 +
* Geospatial Virtual Appliance - MapSnack Dr. SUMBERA, Stanislav
 +
* The Application of MapServer/MapScript to Map and Depict Murals in the City of Winnipeg BRUCE, Bob
 +
* EduCal 2 Mr. LEAHY, Michael Mr. NATHAN, Engler Dr. HALL, Brent
 +
* Spatial Statistics in C# using Open Source Tools Mr. LEAHY, Michael
 +
* EO1 GeoBliki - OGC Sensor Web Enabled Data Node Mr. CAPPELAERE, Patrice
 +
* CampusMapper - a light-weight internet mapping tool using MySQL, Tomcat and SVG Mr. KöBBEN, Barend
 +
* FIONA - SDI with PostgreSQL/PostGIS, GeoServer, UMN MapServer and Mapbender Ms. EMDE, Astrid
 +
* Mapbender - an introduction to the Mapbender project Ms. EMDE, Astrid
 +
* Native, standalone Image Map Server project based on UMN Mapserver as possible ArcIMS replacement Mr. ALBARELLO, Andreas
 +
* Flash Mapping Applications Utilizing Open Source Web Services: Two Examples Mr. CRAWFORD, Stephen
 +
* A web based GIS solution to capturing everyday "fuzzy" geography. Mr. WATERS, Tim
 +
* Enabling Users to Produce personalized Geodata Mr. TURNER, Andrew
 +
* uDig Demo Mr. GARNETT, Jody
  
* BOFs :
+
== Lightning Talks (LT) ==
A meeting in which a topic of specific interest is discussed.
+
'''What ?'''
 +
* A Lightning Talk is a 5-minute presentation on any topic of interest to the FOSS4G communities.
 +
* Lightning Talks will be presented back to back with strict enforcement of the 5-minute time limit.
  
BOFs can be planned in the evening (~18h) just after conferences.
+
'''When ?'''
 +
* Scheduled for opening plenary.
  
* Demo :
+
'''Propositions  :'''
A demo session
 
  
When ? During workshops ?
+
# GIS and the Neogeographer by Mr. ERLE, Schuyler
 +
# Growing GRASS by Mr. NETELER, Markus
 +
# OpenSource Web Mapping Update by Mr. LIME, Stephen
 +
# FOSS4G in the Java world by Mr. GARNETT, Jody
 +
# OSGeo's Public Geospatial Data Project by Ms. WALSH, Jo
 +
(synchronize with The Economic Case for Open Public Geodata Mr. ERLE, Schuyler)
  
= IRC chat and logs =
+
= Opening and Closing Plenary Activities =
Please join us :  
+
* Keynote: Gary Lang (topic?)
* irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006
+
* Keynote: Frank Warmerdam (topic?  OSGeo related, but to be non-conflicting with Gary)
* IRC Logs: http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D
+
* [[Sol Katz Award]]
 +
* Lightening talks (discussed earlier) are scheduled for opening plenary.
 +
* Developer round table?  Other special events?
  
= Meeting July 12th =
+
== Panel discussions ==
## Workshop situation.
+
Topic : '''Global Impact: extending the reach of open source geospatial technologies'''
*inform givers about technical considerations
 
  
# Conferences.
+
Moderator : Tyler Mitchell, ''confirmed''
*Duration :
 
** Presentation Session is 30min
 
** Tech Session could be short (30min) or long (1h) or very long (1h30)
 
  
*Reviewing :
+
'''Participants :'''
** Confirm track managers list : each main track have many track managers, they must distribute papers between them and synchronize
+
* Jim Westervelt 
** Track managers
+
* Schuyler Erle, ''confirmed''
*** ask conf givers to fill the Type field : conference, short or long technology session
+
* Frank Warmerdam, ''confirmed''
*** review the paper and insert internal comments (InDiCo func) (what are the criterias ?)
+
* Paul Ramsey
*** ask conf givers to give more details if needed
+
* David McIlhagga, ''confirmed''
*** propose for other tracks if needed (InDiCo func)
+
* Michael Tiemann, ''confirmed''
*** propose to accept if all is ok
+
* Jo Walsh
** Define sessions for each main track in the timetable
+
* Arnulf Christl
 +
* Toru Mori
 +
* Ravi Kumar
 +
* Jean-Philippe Amstein (for geodata pane)
 +
* Jan-Oliver Wagner
 +
* Markus Neteler (if Jo/Jan/.. not available)
  
# Demo/Poster Session, BOFs, Lightning talks
+
= IRC chat and logs =
* 5 demos.  
+
Please join us :
* 9 posters.
+
* irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006
* 0 BOFs
+
* IRC Logs: http://logs.qgis.org/foss4g2006/
* 0 Lightning talks
 
  
# Sol Katz Award, OSGeo
+
Agenda :
 +
* [[Foss4g2006_irc_20060612#Meeting_July_12th]]
  
 
= More documents =
 
= More documents =
 
Here : conference [https://conference.osgeo.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList Documents & files]
 
Here : conference [https://conference.osgeo.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList Documents & files]
 +
* Local committe todo list [[Foss4g2006 ToDoList]]
 +
* Debriefing [[Foss4g2006 Debriefing]]
  
= Registrants =
+
[[Category:FOSS4G]]
(as of 20060712)
+
[[Category:FOSS4G2006]]
* Conference only : 40
+
[[Category:Past_Events]]
* Workshop only : 13
+
[[Category:Conference Committee]]
* Full : 199
 
 
 
'''Let's continue networking and sending reminders'''
 

Latest revision as of 10:41, 12 June 2018

<< Back to Conference_Committee

LogoFoss4g.png The wiki is only for organizers. Please see also FOSS4G2006 website.

Workshop Sessions (Tuesday am/pm + Wednesday pm)

Rooms

UNIL : Placename Number of Pcs
Amphipôle (Pol 204.2) 20+1
Amphipôle (Pol 342 / géolab) 24+1 (enough space for 48)
Amphipôle (Pol 189) 13+1 (enough space for 28)
Biophore (Bio 1928) 20+1
Amphipôle (Pol 189.1) 36+1 laptops (enough space for 48)
__ __
EPFL: Placename Number of Pcs
(GR B0 01) 38+1
(GR B0 02) 21+1
(LaSIG) 11+(1)(enough space for 18)

Each room will have a "local admin" to help workshop givers to prepare.

FOSS4G2006 LiveCD.

Some links.

Conference Sessions (Wednesday/Thursday/Friday)

Rooms

_________________________ ___________________
Amphimax 350 498 seets
Amphimax 351 302 seets
Amphimax 410 180 seets
Genopode C 176 seets
Amphimax 415 96 seets
Cubotron I 96 seets
Cubotron II 48 seets
Cubotron III 36 seets
_________________________ ___________________

Timetable

See here [1]

Session chairs URGENT

Missions for session chairs :

  • Timing management in session
  • Presentation of the speakers and conference
  • Animation of session : questions

Contribution level Timetable

Proposition :

Thursday, 14th AM

  • Session 1 : T. Kradilis
  • Session 2 : D. Morissette
  • Session 3 : J. Westervelt
  • Session 4 : A. Doyle
  • Session 5 : T. Mitchell
  • Session 6 : S. Lime
  • Session 7 : S. Bayarri
  • Session 8 : M. Kanevski

Thursday, 14th PM

  • Session 1 : T. Bowden
  • Session 2 : J. Liebermann
  • Session 3 : M. Neteler
  • Session 4 : A. Doyle
  • Session 5 : T. Mitchell
  • Session 6 : S. Erle
  • Session 7 : C. Holmes
  • Session 8 : R. Singh

Friday, 15th AM

  • Session 9 : A. Turner & J. Walsh
  • Session 10 : D. Mcilhagga
  • Session 11 : F. Warmerdam
  • Session 12 : H. Mitasova
  • Session 13 : H.-J. Stark
  • Session 14 : F. Golay
  • Session 15 : M. Ciolli
  • Session 16 : T. Mitchell

BOFs / DEMOs / Lightning Talks

BOFs

What is a BOF ?

  • A meeting in which a topic of specific interest is discussed.

When are BOFs scheduled ?

  • eh oui quand ça ? just after conferences ?

How to set up a BOF ?

  • ask directly conference@foss4g2006.org (no more submission through InDiCo)
  • what duration do you plan ?
  • who are the chairs ?
  • how many participants do you expect ?

Some BOFs :

See the list of BoF already submitted.

DEMOs

What is a demo ?

  • Large space available with table and seets to show a demo on your PC (wifi connexion available)

When ?

  • Demo fest is scheduled on Wednesday afternoon in parallel of workshops.
  • Nonetheless, space will be available during the whole conference for on-the-fly demos.

Some demos : Submitted through InDiCo :

  • space for a couple GeoServer/GeoTools projects (cholmes@openplans.org)
  • A web based GIS solution to capturing everyday "fuzzy" geography. Mr. WATERS, Tim
  • Native, standalone Image Map Server project based on UMN Mapserver as possible ArcIMS replacement Mr. ALBARELLO, Andreas
  • GeoTracing Mr. VAN DEN BROECKE, Just
  • Geospatial Virtual Appliance - MapSnack Dr. SUMBERA, Stanislav
  • The Application of MapServer/MapScript to Map and Depict Murals in the City of Winnipeg BRUCE, Bob
  • EduCal 2 Mr. LEAHY, Michael Mr. NATHAN, Engler Dr. HALL, Brent
  • Spatial Statistics in C# using Open Source Tools Mr. LEAHY, Michael
  • EO1 GeoBliki - OGC Sensor Web Enabled Data Node Mr. CAPPELAERE, Patrice
  • CampusMapper - a light-weight internet mapping tool using MySQL, Tomcat and SVG Mr. KöBBEN, Barend
  • FIONA - SDI with PostgreSQL/PostGIS, GeoServer, UMN MapServer and Mapbender Ms. EMDE, Astrid
  • Mapbender - an introduction to the Mapbender project Ms. EMDE, Astrid
  • Native, standalone Image Map Server project based on UMN Mapserver as possible ArcIMS replacement Mr. ALBARELLO, Andreas
  • Flash Mapping Applications Utilizing Open Source Web Services: Two Examples Mr. CRAWFORD, Stephen
  • A web based GIS solution to capturing everyday "fuzzy" geography. Mr. WATERS, Tim
  • Enabling Users to Produce personalized Geodata Mr. TURNER, Andrew
  • uDig Demo Mr. GARNETT, Jody

Lightning Talks (LT)

What ?

  • A Lightning Talk is a 5-minute presentation on any topic of interest to the FOSS4G communities.
  • Lightning Talks will be presented back to back with strict enforcement of the 5-minute time limit.

When ?

  • Scheduled for opening plenary.

Propositions :

  1. GIS and the Neogeographer by Mr. ERLE, Schuyler
  2. Growing GRASS by Mr. NETELER, Markus
  3. OpenSource Web Mapping Update by Mr. LIME, Stephen
  4. FOSS4G in the Java world by Mr. GARNETT, Jody
  5. OSGeo's Public Geospatial Data Project by Ms. WALSH, Jo

(synchronize with The Economic Case for Open Public Geodata Mr. ERLE, Schuyler)

Opening and Closing Plenary Activities

  • Keynote: Gary Lang (topic?)
  • Keynote: Frank Warmerdam (topic? OSGeo related, but to be non-conflicting with Gary)
  • Sol Katz Award
  • Lightening talks (discussed earlier) are scheduled for opening plenary.
  • Developer round table? Other special events?

Panel discussions

Topic : Global Impact: extending the reach of open source geospatial technologies

Moderator : Tyler Mitchell, confirmed

Participants :

  • Jim Westervelt
  • Schuyler Erle, confirmed
  • Frank Warmerdam, confirmed
  • Paul Ramsey
  • David McIlhagga, confirmed
  • Michael Tiemann, confirmed
  • Jo Walsh
  • Arnulf Christl
  • Toru Mori
  • Ravi Kumar
  • Jean-Philippe Amstein (for geodata pane)
  • Jan-Oliver Wagner
  • Markus Neteler (if Jo/Jan/.. not available)

IRC chat and logs

Please join us :

Agenda :

More documents

Here : conference Documents & files