FOSS4G 2014 Bid Process
- FOSS4G 2014 will most likely be held in North America.
- FOSS4G 2013 will be in Nottingham, UK
- South America will also be considered as a region if sufficient interest
- "Letters of Intent" will be accepted from potential Local Organizing Committees (LOC) in North America. If there are no submissions from groups in North America, letters from other regions will then be solicited.
- If more than one letter of intent is received, the Conference Committee members will vote by each selecting a single letter as their choice. A letter must receive the backing of at least two members to move on to the bid stage.
- Selected letters will be invited to prepare a full bid based on the usual RFP process.
- A proposal outlining budget, potential sponsors, LOC members, and venue costs will be required even if only one letter is received.
Summary of Important Dates
|Letters of Intent (Stage 1) due:||2013-05-10 (23:00 UTC)|
|Stage 1 question period:||2013-05-11 to 2013-05-17|
|Stage 1 decision:||2013-05-22|
|Proposals (Stage 2) due:||2013-06-30 (23:00 UTC)|
|Stage 2 question period:||2013-07-01 to 2013-07-08|
Letters of Intent
- Accepted until May 10, 2010 (23:00 UTC)
- Limited to two pages
- Answer the following questions:
- Who is your conference chair?
- Who else is on your LOC?
- What is your venue?
- What makes FOSS4G in your proposed location compelling?
Cameron Shorter, Chair of FOSS4G 2009 suggests also addressing the following questions:
- Historically, half to three quarters of delegates come from the hosting country / region. Hence it is very valuable to have links with the regional geospatial industries.
- How do you propose to engage the regional communities in order to attract delegates and sponsors.
- The more recent conferences have all worked with a professional conference organisor. If you plan to make use of one, please mention them.
Letter of Intent Review
- Letters of Intent were received from the following local committees:
- Questions will be asked of submitters on conference_dev until May 17.
- Conference committee will vote and results announced on May 22.
- Portland and Washington were passed on to the proposal stage.
- Because there were qualified proposals from North America, the Sao Paolo bid was not asked for a proposal.
- Washington DC, and Portland, Oregon both received sufficient votes in the LOI process to proceed to the bid stage.
- Bids will be required for selected applicants, due by June 30, 2013 (23:00 UTC).
- Bids were received from:
- Questions will be asked of bidders on conference_dev until July 8.
- A conference committee teleconference will be held on July 9.
- Conference committee will vote and results announced on July 13.