FOSS4G 2017 Bid Process
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Draft, awaiting review
- FOSS4G 2017 will most likely be held in North America.
- "Letters of Intent" will be accepted from potential Local Organizing Committees (LOC) in North America. If there are no submissions from groups in North America, letters from other regions will then be solicited.
- If more than one letter of intent is received, the Conference Committee members will vote by each selecting a single letter as their choice. A letter must receive the backing of at least two members to move on to the bid stage.
- Selected letters will be invited to prepare a full bid based on the usual RFP process.
- A proposal outlining budget, potential sponsors, LOC members, and venue costs will be required even if only one letter is received.
Summary of Important Dates (AoE)
|Letters of Intent (Stage 1) due:||2015-07-15|
|Stage 1 question period:||2015-07-16 to 2015-07-23|
|Stage 1 decision:||2015-07-30|
|Proposals (Stage 2) due:||2015-08-31|
|Stage 2 question period:||2015-09-01 to 2015-09-15|
|Final decision:||2015-09-19 (or 2015-09-30? See also FOSS4G 2015 schedule)|
Letters of Intent
- Accepted until July 15, 2015
- Limited to two pages
- Answer the following questions:
- Who is your conference chair?
- Who else is on your LOC?
- What is your venue?
- What makes FOSS4G in your proposed location compelling?
Cameron Shorter, Chair of FOSS4G 2009 suggests also addressing the following questions:
- Historically, half to three quarters of delegates come from the hosting country / region. Hence it is very valuable to have links with the regional geospatial industries.
- How do you propose to engage the regional communities in order to attract delegates and sponsors.
- The more recent conferences have all worked with a professional conference organizer. If you plan to make use of one, please mention them.
Letter of Intent Review
- Letters of Intent were received from the following local committees:
- Questions will be asked of LOCs on conference_dev until July 23.
- Conference committee will vote and results announced on July 30.
- Letters with 2 votes will be passed on to the proposal stage.
- If there are no qualified letters from the priority region, then additional regions will be considered or solicited.
- Bids will be required for selected applicants, due by August 31, 2015.
- Bids were received from:
- Questions will be asked of bidders on conference_dev until September 15.
- A conference committee teleconference or IRC meeting might be held sometime between September 16-19.
- Conference committee will vote and results announced on 2015-09-19 (or 2015-09-30? See also FOSS4G 2015 schedule).