Difference between revisions of "FOSS4G Europe 2015 GeoForAll Agenda"

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search
(3. GeoForAll Europe Meeting: minutes and attendance)
 
(49 intermediate revisions by 14 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''GeoForAll FOSS4G Como meetings, tentative agendas and who will be there. Please add your name to the sessions if you plan to attend, and feel free to add agenda items if you have something you want discussed. -- email me (cschweik AT Pubpol.umass.edu) if you have questions or concerns.''' <br>
+
GeoForAll FOSS4G Como meetings, tentative agendas and who will be there. Please add your name to the sessions if you plan to attend, and feel free to add agenda items if you have something you want discussed. -- email me (cschweik AT Pubpol.umass.edu) if you have questions or concerns.
  
  
'''1. GeoForAll pre-conference meeting.''' -- Tuesday July 14th, 8:30-11:30 am
+
== 1. GeoForAll pre-conference meeting ==
Hall of Via Natta building.
+
  
Discussion topics:
+
When: Tuesday July 14th, 8:30-11:30 am
  
* Certification: Phil Davis has agreed to give us an update on where we
+
Where: 14 Via Natta. Note: The building is in the city centre of Como (not in the main campus where the conference will take place). See here http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=45.808829&mlon=9.083251#map=18/45.80883/9.08325&layers=N
are on the certification discussion and lead further discussion on that
+
On the wall outside the building is a sign that says 'Politecnico Di Milano' and 14 is written above the doorway. Go through the door and there is a small security room. There will be signs saying 'GeoForAll' posted somewhere near this station. The meeting room is in the upstairs. I (Charlie) will be there at 8am getting set up. Give yourself time to find this building (there are nice cafes all along the roads leading to it so you can pick up your morning coffee! We will start right at 8:30 am!
topic. (Thanks Phil. Suggested pre-meeting readings: Phil -- [http://www.geotechcenter.org/gtcm-curriculum-guide.html gtcm curriculum guide], Arnulf -- [http://trajectorymagazine.com/defense-intelligence/item/1959-professionalizing-the-geoint-workforce.html geoint workforce]).
+
  
* Educational content curation strategies -platforms for sharing curriculum
+
Agenda:
--- QGIS course collaboration (raised by Lene Fischer)
+
  
* GeoForAll and its connection to firms.
+
1.'''Welcome and quick introductions''' (Suchith, Charlie) 8:30-8:45
 +
- Need scribe volunteer
 +
 
 +
2. '''GeoForAll lab membership issues''' (Helena leads the discussion here) - 8:45-9:30 (Ideally faster than this)
 +
* 2a.Quick update on the current Lab membership list [1] - inactive ones? What do we still need to do to get the list updated?
 +
* 2b.We want this list to reflect active labs. '''What criteria do we use for lab removal and can this be documented? Annual procedure for keeping this list updated? Can we do this here in Como and get the list updated'''?
 +
* 2c.Lab membership questions (9:30-10:00)
 +
**i.Our current membership criteria text is here: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoforall_criteria
 +
**ii.What kind of organization can be called a ‘lab’? Can firms, gov agencies, nonprofits also be ‘Labs’? (based on the discussion so far it appears that YES, ask everybody to put the type of organization into notes)
 +
**iii.Currently our membership table has some non-universities [1]. Discuss the issue of firms or agendies as labs or 'partners'.
 +
**iv.Discuss the idea of GeoForAll lab membership expansion to K-12 schools. 
 +
**v. Regional mailing lists-keep or delete? There is enough support for keeping them.
 +
*summary of key recommendations or action items to report in the BOF 1 on Thursday.
 +
 
 +
3. '''Certification issues''' (Phil Davis leads) (10:00-10:30)
 +
* 3a. Phil opens with 5 minute summary/status
 +
* 3b. Tanzeel Khan presents his findings on 'An OS Certification Model.' 10 minutes, see [[OSGeo Labs: OSGeo Certification]]
 +
* 3c. Discussion
 +
* 3d. summary of key recommendations or action items to report in the BOF 1 on Thursday
 +
 
 +
4. '''OSGeo and GeoForAll educational committee''' -- What is their relationship? Same or different entities? (10:30-10:45)
 +
* We need to update the OSGeo Education page [8]. Who would like to help this week?
 +
 
 +
5. '''Educational content curation strategies''' (Charlie leads) (10:45-11:15)
 +
* How can we get past simple emailing information about educational material we have developed?
 +
* Current options
 +
** Go back to our earlier educational metada inventory system [2, 3]
 +
** Use Rick Smith's GeoAcademy GitHub system [4]
 +
** Work with Suchith to get the ELOGeo system back up and operational. Suchith mentioned that it was built using the UK Open Educational Resource system Jorum [5]
 +
** Investigate the use of the Drupal-based OpenABM system (if grant funding comes in). See [6]. Charlie has a conference call with their team tomorrow.
 +
** Consider utilizing one of the existing Open Educational Repository systems such as Rice U CNX [7], Carnegie Mellon Open Learning Initiative, or the Open Education Consortium [7]
 +
* Short term strategy? Longer term strategy?
 +
* summary of key recommendations or action items to report in the BOF 1 on Thursday
 +
 
 +
6. '''Lightning round update on grant-getting efforts''' (Charlie leads) (11:15-11:25)
 +
*a.Charlie - NSF RCN
 +
*b.Antoni - H2020 efforts
 +
*c.Suchith - AgriGIS?
 +
*d. Maria - Italy US opportunity
 +
 
 +
7.'''Decide on agenda item priorities for BOF 1 report back''' (11:25-11:30)
 +
 
 +
[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Edu_current_initiatives#sortable_table_id_0
 +
 
 +
[2] http://www.osgeo.org/educational_content
 +
 
 +
[3] https://www.osgeo.org/node/add/edu-content
 +
 
 +
[4] https://github.com/FOSS4GAcademy
 +
 
 +
[5] http://www.jorum.ac.uk/
 +
 
 +
[6] https://www.openabm.org/
 +
 
 +
[7] http://www.oeconsortium.org/
 +
 
 +
[8] http://www.osgeo.org/education
  
That's probably enough -- but if anyone has any other pressing issues
 
while some of us are together let me know.
 
  
 
Attending? Add your name below.
 
Attending? Add your name below.
<br>
 
- Charlie Schweik, USA <br>
 
- Maria, Italy <br>
 
- Dimitris Kotzinos <br>
 
- others? <br>
 
  
'''2. GeoForAll BOF meeting #1.''' Thursday July 16th, 8:00-9:00 AM, room VS9
+
* Charlie Schweik, USA
 +
* Maria, Italy
 +
* Dimitris Kotzinos
 +
* [[User:Helena|Helena Mitasova]]
 +
* [[User:Darsvid|Daria Svidzinska]]
 +
* [[User:Wenzeslaus|Vaclav Petras]]
 +
* [[User:Fjbehr|Franz-Josef Behr]]
 +
* [[User:Aperezn|Antoni Perez-Navarro]]
 +
* [[User:Dirkf|Dirk Frigne]]
 +
* [http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronfortunato Ron Fortunato]
 +
* Suchith Anand (attending by Skype - sanand1976)
 +
* Mario Miler
 +
* others?
  
Agenda: TBD
+
== 2. GeoForAll BOF meeting #1 ==
 +
 
 +
When: Thursday July 16th, 8:00-9:00 AM
 +
 
 +
Where: room VS9, Valleggio building
 +
 
 +
Agenda:  
 +
 
 +
* Report back and discussion of items from our pre-conference meeting (see above).
 +
* Other new discussion items from the Group
 +
* Preparation and ideas for Seoul conference
  
 
Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Europe_2015_BirdsOfAFeather#GeoForAll_BOF here]
 
Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Europe_2015_BirdsOfAFeather#GeoForAll_BOF here]
<br>
 
  
'''3. GeoForAll Europe Meeting'''. Thursday July 16th, 5:30 room 3.5 at Politecnico di Milano
+
== 3. GeoForAll Europe Meeting ==
  
(This is a good idea... any other regions have a group attending and want
+
When: Thursday July 16th, 5:30
to meet up?)
+
  
Attending? Add your name below.
+
Where: room 3.5 at Politecnico di Milano
<br>
+
 
- Charlie Schweik, USA <br>
+
Agenda:
- Maria, Italy <br>
+
 
- Dimitris Kotzinos <br>
+
We had an informal discussion about the communication among the Labs. There is general agreement that the European mailing list will be used for the coordination of European-specific projects/funding, while other topics of general interest will be posted to the international list.
- others? <br>
+
 
 +
Ela and Antoni are working on the newsletter, that will summarise activities and feature one Lab at each monthly issue.
 +
The newsletter will also contain a summary of the discussions on international mailing list, therefore making it easier to keep pace with the many topics discussed on the list. We would then recommend to subscribe to the newsletter (we will indicate how) and keep receiving all emails from general list, but filtered in a separated folder; when needed, it will be possible to answer to a specific email, when a interesting topic is mentioned in the newsletter.
 +
 
 +
Daria and Nadia raised the topic of funding travel/meetings of people from different Labs. Anne confirmed her availability in keeping the Board informed about the development and will work with GeoForAll AB to set up criteria for the assignment of such funding.
 +
 
 +
The meeting was limited to half an hour, as we all had to move to the poster area for the group photo.
 +
 
 +
Attending:
 +
 
 +
* [[User:Aghisla|Anne]], Italy/Germany
 +
* Ela Wołoszyńska-Wiśniewska, Poland
 +
* [[User:Darsvid|Daria Svidzinska]], Ukraine
 +
* [[User:Aperezn|Antoni Perez-Navarro]]
 +
* Nadia Panchaud, Switzerland
 +
* Elena Mezzini, Italy
 +
 
 +
== 4. GeoForAll Bird's of a Feather 2 ==
 +
 
 +
When: Friday July 17th, 12:00-13:00
 +
 
 +
Where: room 3.6, Castelnuovo building
 +
 
 +
Agenda:
 +
* 30 minute discussion of GeoForAll and connections with primary, seconday, high schools (Ela helps lead)
 +
** Who is doing what (responsibilities)?
 +
** Can we build a network of teachers and schools? And how to start?
 +
** Can we ask the teachers/students of the network via a questionnaire?
 +
** What can we do to make our tools better and useful to every teacher and child? (i.e. translation, new tools, new ideas, applications based on the age, etc)
 +
* 30 minutes on people reporting on their next steps and planning for Seoul -- who is going? Organizing there?  
  
'''4. GeoForAll Bird's of a Feather 2'''. Friday July 17th, 12:00-13:00 room 3.6
 
Open session to plan our collective activities after reflecting on the
 
conference experiences.
 
<br>
 
 
Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Europe_2015_BirdsOfAFeather#GeoForAll_BOF_2 here]
 
Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Europe_2015_BirdsOfAFeather#GeoForAll_BOF_2 here]
  
'''4. GeoForAll Grant Sprint'''. Saturday July 18th - 8:30-11:30 hall of Via Natta building  
+
== 5. GeoForAll Grant Sprint ==
 +
 
 +
When: Saturday July 18th - 8:30-11:30
 +
 
 +
Where: Hall of Via Natta building  
 +
 
 +
Agenda:
 +
 
 
* US NSF Smart City proposal (Charlie Schweik, others with GeoForAll city analytics group)  
 
* US NSF Smart City proposal (Charlie Schweik, others with GeoForAll city analytics group)  
 
* Hopefully some discussion by European participants on another grant effort to support GeoForAll efforts (anyone working on this? add your name and topic)
 
* Hopefully some discussion by European participants on another grant effort to support GeoForAll efforts (anyone working on this? add your name and topic)
Attending? Add your name below. <br>
 
- Charlie Schweik, USA <br>
 
- Maria, Italy <br>
 
- Dimitris Kotzinos <br>
 
- others? <br>
 
  
'''TOPICS NOT ON THE CURRENT AGENDA BUT NEED TO BE DISCUSSED:'''
+
Attending? Add your name below.
 +
* Charlie Schweik, USA
 +
* Maria, Italy
 +
* Dimitris Kotzinos
 +
* [[User:Darsvid|Daria Svidzinska]], Ukraine
 +
* [[User:Wenzeslaus|Vaclav Petras]]
 +
* [[User:Aperezn|Antoni Perez-Navarro]]
 +
* Suchith Anand (attending by Skype)
 +
* others?
 +
 
 +
== TOPICS NOT ON THE CURRENT AGENDA BUT NEED TO BE DISCUSSED ==
  
- Add any ideas here please
+
Add any ideas here please.
  
 
Questions? Contact Charlie Schweik - cschweik AT pubpol DOT UMass DOT edu
 
Questions? Contact Charlie Schweik - cschweik AT pubpol DOT UMass DOT edu

Latest revision as of 01:39, 17 July 2015

GeoForAll FOSS4G Como meetings, tentative agendas and who will be there. Please add your name to the sessions if you plan to attend, and feel free to add agenda items if you have something you want discussed. -- email me (cschweik AT Pubpol.umass.edu) if you have questions or concerns.


1. GeoForAll pre-conference meeting

When: Tuesday July 14th, 8:30-11:30 am

Where: 14 Via Natta. Note: The building is in the city centre of Como (not in the main campus where the conference will take place). See here http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=45.808829&mlon=9.083251#map=18/45.80883/9.08325&layers=N On the wall outside the building is a sign that says 'Politecnico Di Milano' and 14 is written above the doorway. Go through the door and there is a small security room. There will be signs saying 'GeoForAll' posted somewhere near this station. The meeting room is in the upstairs. I (Charlie) will be there at 8am getting set up. Give yourself time to find this building (there are nice cafes all along the roads leading to it so you can pick up your morning coffee! We will start right at 8:30 am!

Agenda:

1.Welcome and quick introductions (Suchith, Charlie) 8:30-8:45 - Need scribe volunteer

2. GeoForAll lab membership issues (Helena leads the discussion here) - 8:45-9:30 (Ideally faster than this)

  • 2a.Quick update on the current Lab membership list [1] - inactive ones? What do we still need to do to get the list updated?
  • 2b.We want this list to reflect active labs. What criteria do we use for lab removal and can this be documented? Annual procedure for keeping this list updated? Can we do this here in Como and get the list updated?
  • 2c.Lab membership questions (9:30-10:00)
    • i.Our current membership criteria text is here: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoforall_criteria
    • ii.What kind of organization can be called a ‘lab’? Can firms, gov agencies, nonprofits also be ‘Labs’? (based on the discussion so far it appears that YES, ask everybody to put the type of organization into notes)
    • iii.Currently our membership table has some non-universities [1]. Discuss the issue of firms or agendies as labs or 'partners'.
    • iv.Discuss the idea of GeoForAll lab membership expansion to K-12 schools.
    • v. Regional mailing lists-keep or delete? There is enough support for keeping them.
  • summary of key recommendations or action items to report in the BOF 1 on Thursday.

3. Certification issues (Phil Davis leads) (10:00-10:30)

  • 3a. Phil opens with 5 minute summary/status
  • 3b. Tanzeel Khan presents his findings on 'An OS Certification Model.' 10 minutes, see OSGeo Labs: OSGeo Certification
  • 3c. Discussion
  • 3d. summary of key recommendations or action items to report in the BOF 1 on Thursday

4. OSGeo and GeoForAll educational committee -- What is their relationship? Same or different entities? (10:30-10:45)

  • We need to update the OSGeo Education page [8]. Who would like to help this week?

5. Educational content curation strategies (Charlie leads) (10:45-11:15)

  • How can we get past simple emailing information about educational material we have developed?
  • Current options
    • Go back to our earlier educational metada inventory system [2, 3]
    • Use Rick Smith's GeoAcademy GitHub system [4]
    • Work with Suchith to get the ELOGeo system back up and operational. Suchith mentioned that it was built using the UK Open Educational Resource system Jorum [5]
    • Investigate the use of the Drupal-based OpenABM system (if grant funding comes in). See [6]. Charlie has a conference call with their team tomorrow.
    • Consider utilizing one of the existing Open Educational Repository systems such as Rice U CNX [7], Carnegie Mellon Open Learning Initiative, or the Open Education Consortium [7]
  • Short term strategy? Longer term strategy?
  • summary of key recommendations or action items to report in the BOF 1 on Thursday

6. Lightning round update on grant-getting efforts (Charlie leads) (11:15-11:25)

  • a.Charlie - NSF RCN
  • b.Antoni - H2020 efforts
  • c.Suchith - AgriGIS?
  • d. Maria - Italy US opportunity

7.Decide on agenda item priorities for BOF 1 report back (11:25-11:30)

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Edu_current_initiatives#sortable_table_id_0

[2] http://www.osgeo.org/educational_content

[3] https://www.osgeo.org/node/add/edu-content

[4] https://github.com/FOSS4GAcademy

[5] http://www.jorum.ac.uk/

[6] https://www.openabm.org/

[7] http://www.oeconsortium.org/

[8] http://www.osgeo.org/education


Attending? Add your name below.

2. GeoForAll BOF meeting #1

When: Thursday July 16th, 8:00-9:00 AM

Where: room VS9, Valleggio building

Agenda:

  • Report back and discussion of items from our pre-conference meeting (see above).
  • Other new discussion items from the Group
  • Preparation and ideas for Seoul conference

Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list here

3. GeoForAll Europe Meeting

When: Thursday July 16th, 5:30

Where: room 3.5 at Politecnico di Milano

Agenda:

We had an informal discussion about the communication among the Labs. There is general agreement that the European mailing list will be used for the coordination of European-specific projects/funding, while other topics of general interest will be posted to the international list.

Ela and Antoni are working on the newsletter, that will summarise activities and feature one Lab at each monthly issue. The newsletter will also contain a summary of the discussions on international mailing list, therefore making it easier to keep pace with the many topics discussed on the list. We would then recommend to subscribe to the newsletter (we will indicate how) and keep receiving all emails from general list, but filtered in a separated folder; when needed, it will be possible to answer to a specific email, when a interesting topic is mentioned in the newsletter.

Daria and Nadia raised the topic of funding travel/meetings of people from different Labs. Anne confirmed her availability in keeping the Board informed about the development and will work with GeoForAll AB to set up criteria for the assignment of such funding.

The meeting was limited to half an hour, as we all had to move to the poster area for the group photo.

Attending:

4. GeoForAll Bird's of a Feather 2

When: Friday July 17th, 12:00-13:00

Where: room 3.6, Castelnuovo building

Agenda:

  • 30 minute discussion of GeoForAll and connections with primary, seconday, high schools (Ela helps lead)
    • Who is doing what (responsibilities)?
    • Can we build a network of teachers and schools? And how to start?
    • Can we ask the teachers/students of the network via a questionnaire?
    • What can we do to make our tools better and useful to every teacher and child? (i.e. translation, new tools, new ideas, applications based on the age, etc)
  • 30 minutes on people reporting on their next steps and planning for Seoul -- who is going? Organizing there?

Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list here

5. GeoForAll Grant Sprint

When: Saturday July 18th - 8:30-11:30

Where: Hall of Via Natta building

Agenda:

  • US NSF Smart City proposal (Charlie Schweik, others with GeoForAll city analytics group)
  • Hopefully some discussion by European participants on another grant effort to support GeoForAll efforts (anyone working on this? add your name and topic)

Attending? Add your name below.

TOPICS NOT ON THE CURRENT AGENDA BUT NEED TO BE DISCUSSED

Add any ideas here please.

Questions? Contact Charlie Schweik - cschweik AT pubpol DOT UMass DOT edu