FOSS4G Europe 2015 GeoForAll Agenda

From OSGeo
Jump to navigation Jump to search

GeoForAll FOSS4G Como meetings, tentative agendas and who will be there. Please add your name to the sessions if you plan to attend, and feel free to add agenda items if you have something you want discussed. -- email me (cschweik AT if you have questions or concerns.

1. GeoForAll pre-conference meeting

When: Tuesday July 14th, 8:30-11:30 am

Where: Hall of Via Natta building. Note: The Via Natta building is in the city centre of Como (not in the main campus where the conference will take place). The building address is Via Natta 12/14: See here This "Hall" is on the first floor and the building is very small, so you should have no problem in finding this room. We will start right at 8:30 am!


1.Welcome and quick introductions (Charlie) 8:30-8:45 - Need scribe volunteer

2. GeoForAll lab membership issues (Helena leads the discussion here) - 8:45-9:30

  • 2a.Quick update on the current Lab membership list [1] - inactive ones? What do we still need to do to get the list updated?
  • 2b.We want this list to reflect active labs. What criteria do we use for lab removal and can this be documented? Annual procedure for keeping this list updated? Can we do this here in Como and get the list updated?
  • 2c.Lab membership questions
    • i.Our current membership criteria text is here:
    • ii.What kind of organization can be called a ‘lab’? Can firms, gov agencies, nonprofits also be ‘Labs’? Or are they partners to academic labs?
    • iii.Currently our membership table has some non-universities [1] and it looks like the table on our main page [2] is not being refreshed automatically.
    • iv.Discuss the idea of GeoForAll lab membership expansion to K-12 schools. (9:30-10:00)
    • v. Regional mailing lists-keep or delete?
  • summary of key decisions or action items

3. Certification issues (Phil Davis leads) (10:00-10:30)

  • summary of key decisions or action items

4.Educational content curation strategies (Charlie leads) (10:30-11:00)

  • summary of key decisions or action items

5.Lightning round update on grant-getting efforts (Charlie leads) (11:00-11:20)

  • a.Charlie - NSF RCN
  • b.Antoni - H2020 efforts
  • c.Suchith - AgriGIS?

6.Decide on agenda item priorities for BOF 1 report back (11:20-11:30)



Attending? Add your name below.

2. GeoForAll BOF meeting #1

When: Thursday July 16th, 8:00-9:00 AM

Where: room VS9, Valleggio building


  • Report back and discussion of items from our pre-conference meeting (see above).
  • Other new discussion items from the Group
  • Preparation and ideas for Seoul conference

Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list here

3. GeoForAll Europe Meeting

When: Thursday July 16th, 5:30

Where: room 3.5 at Politecnico di Milano

(This is a good idea... any other regions have a group attending and want to meet up?)


  • collaborations between the European and US labs, students exchange and funding opportunities

Attending? Add your name below.

4. GeoForAll Bird's of a Feather 2

When: Friday July 17th, 12:00-13:00

Where: room 3.6

30 minute session to discuss how we move GeoForAll into schools (primary, secondary, high school) and plan our collective activities after reflecting on the conference experiences.


  • 30 minute discussion of GeoForAll and connections with primary, seconday, high schools (Ela helps lead)
    • Who is doing what (responsibilities)?
    • Can we build a network of teachers and schools? And how to start?
    • Can we ask the teachers/students of the network via a questionnaire?
    • What can we do to make our tools better and useful to every teacher and child? (i.e. translation, new tools, new ideas, applications based on the age, etc)
  • 30 minutes on people reporting on their next steps and planning for Seoul -- who is going? Organizing there?

Attending? Add your name to the BOF signup list here

5. GeoForAll Grant Sprint

When: Saturday July 18th - 8:30-11:30

Where: Hall of Via Natta building


  • US NSF Smart City proposal (Charlie Schweik, others with GeoForAll city analytics group)
  • Hopefully some discussion by European participants on another grant effort to support GeoForAll efforts (anyone working on this? add your name and topic)

Attending? Add your name below.


Add any ideas here please.

Questions? Contact Charlie Schweik - cschweik AT pubpol DOT UMass DOT edu