FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme 2018
- Draft edited by Steven on 2018-03-15 Dates and topics for discussion in red
About the Travel Grant Programme
The FOSS4G Travel Grant Program (TGP) is administered by the Conference Committee.
This page sets out the process for applying for an OSGeo Travel Grant to attend FOSS4G 2018 and the process and criteria by which applicants will be selected.
- The OSGeo foundation has made an amount of US $10,000 available to fund a travel grant program
- A crowdfunding initiative will generate additional resources for the TGP
- Donations to the TGP can be made via the [OSGeo PayPal] account
- Further sponsorship is sought from OSGeo local chapters, commercial partners, NGO's and academic institutions. Enquiries about sponsorship should be made to the Chair of the Conference Committee
Details of the Travel Grant Programme
There will be 3 different travel grants available:
|Grant size US$||Number available||Likely Use|
|$250||24||Delegates from nearby locations|
|$500||8||Delegates from further afield or who are unable to get material support from their employers|
|$1,000||5||Delegates from outside of the region|
- All TGs include a full pass for the conference including access to workshops (SF- need to check) and an allowance towards accommodation and expenses
- Applicants will only be able to apply for one size of TG and are encouraged to apply for the smallest grant that will enable them to attend FOSS4G 2018. A Travel Grant is not intended to cover the full cost of attending FOSS4G, applicants must be able to demonstrate that they are either part funding their attendance or have received further sponsorship from their employer or some other body.
- The number of TGs of each size or the size of grants may be adjusted, at the discretion of the Conference Committee, dependent upon the level of funding raised and the number of applications received
- It is anticipated that a TG will not normally exceed $1,000 (the Conference Committee can vary this guideline at their discretion in exceptional circumstances)
- Applicants must be able to pre-fund the direct costs of travel to FOSS4G and any booking deposits for accommodation. Successful applicants will receive a conference pass and become eligible for reimbursement of expenses up to the limit of the Travel Grant when they check-in at the conference registration desk.
- Applicants must be in possession of a valid entry visa and immunisation docs (if required).
We expect, that the funds available for the TGP will be less than the number of people seeking sponsorship for FOSS4G attendance
- To be eligible for a TG, applicants must be a citizen of and resident in (SF check) a country listed by the OECD Development Assistance Committee. It is likely that priority will be given to
- Low income economiesS ($1,025 or less)
- Lower middle income economies ($1,026 to $4,035)
- Upper middle income economies ($4,036 to $12,475)
- Some preference will be given to applicants resident within the African continent
Additional Selection Criteria
Additional selection criteria may include
- Gender, the LOC is seeking to encourage gender balance through the TGP
- Applicants who have submitted a talk or workshop
Contributions to OSGeo
All applicants will be asked to provide
- Details of their past contributions to OSGeo projects or community activities
- Usage and experience of OSGeo software
- How they would make use of their attendance at FOSS4G to benefit themselves, their local society and the wider OSGeo community
The selection group will comprise 3 volunteers from the OSGeo Conference Committee and 3 members of the Dar Local Organising Committee.
- Every eligible applicant will be 'blind evaluated' by each member of the selection group who will rank applicants for each size of grant
- The aggregate of the rankings will be used to select grant recipients
- The selection group may adjust the number of grants in each size category dependent on funds available and the number of applications
- The selection group may make minor adjustments to the selection process as it considers appropriate
- Applicants will be notified of the result of their application by insert date at the latest
- Applicants who just missed the cut in the selection process will be notified and asked if they are willing to be a 'standby'
- Applicants will have 14 or 21 days? to confirm acceptance of a TG and to provide visas etc
- TGs not confirmed within the required period will be offered to people on the standby list
- The decision of the Conference Committee selection group is final and not subject to any appeal
Application & Deadline
Applications should be submitted on the insert link to application form by insert date