Setting up a FOSS4G TGP
This guidance is for those considering establishing a FOSS4G TGP for a Regional event or becoming a member of a selection group for a FOSS4G TGP (Global or Regional). It is based on the experience and lessons learnt in running the 2017 & 2018 TGPs. Each FOSS4G TGP will develop its own approach and hopefully add to this advice.
Applications to the Conference Committee for OSGeo support for a TGP
This is a draft version of the application process for FOSS4G LOCs by Steven Feldman on 20190116. When others have commented/edited this section will replace part of the Getting Started section below.
The Conference Committee (CC) administers the FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme (TGP) on behalf of OSGeo. At the beginning of each calendar year the OSGeo board sets a budget for the TGP, the CC will aim to issue a call for applications for TGP support in early February and potentially will have a second call for applications in July (dependent on whether there is any unallocated budget).
The Global FOSS4G and Regional LOCs should apply for TGP support by entering the details of their request in a wiki page that will be detailed when the call for applications is announced on the CC mailing list. It is anticipated that 50-60% of the TGP budget will be allocated to the Global event and that the balance will be available to support regional events, the CC may vary these %ages at their discretion.
The LOC should:
- State the amount of TGP support requested in US dollars and confirm that the LOC will provide (at least) matching cash funding. The LOC should explain the source of their funding (e.g. a levy on ticket sales, a level on sponsor income, a specific sponsor, crowdfunding).
- Confirm that free full conference passes will be available to recipients of Travel Grants in addition to the cash funding provided by the LOC and OSGeo.
- Estimate the anticipated number of grants and their size
- Set out the broad criteria that they will use to select applicants and indicate their priority groups (e.g. gender based, local/regional, specific deprived groups, some other criteria)
- Confirm that it has a team of volunteers available to administer the selection process and confirm whether it is seeking assistance from CC members in the selection process
- Provide details of any accommodation available to TG recipients e.g. a recommended hostel. Note that any recommended accommodation should be vetted as safe and secure for all event attendees.
- Outline the manner in which Travel Grants will be paid to recipients and by whom (e.g. cash, PayPal, bank transfer, etc)