Thanks to a great program, workshop sessions will be an important part of FOSS4G2006. Up to 350 participants are already registered and will attend to at least two workshops.
In order to properly organize the session, the committee has created a wiki for presenters. The main purpose is to synchronize with presenters to reduce last minute problems.
- 1 Duration and scheduling
- 2 Room Equipment
- 3 Desktop PCs pre-installation
- 3.1 Basic Installation
- 3.2 Specific Installation
- 3.3 Rooms
- 3.3.1 Amphipôle (Pol 342/geolab)(40) : GRASS LiveCD
- 3.3.2 Amphipôle (Pol 189.1)(40) : High mix
- 3.3.3 Amphipôle (Pol 204.2)(30) : CartoWeb
- 3.3.4 Amphipôle (Pol 189)(28) : Mapguide
- 3.3.5 Biophore (Bio 1928)(30) : Low mix
- 3.3.6 EPFL (GC D0 383)(18) : LiveCD, Tomcat/OJ
- 3.3.7 EPFL (GR C0 02)(22) : Tomcat room
- 3.3.8 EPFL (GR BO 01)(40) MapServer Room
- 4 Software requirements
- 5 Stay tuned !
Duration and scheduling
Most probably 1.5 hrs + 30min break + 1.5 hrs
- Tuesday morning - 9:00 to 12:30
- Tuesday afternoon - 14:00 to 17:30
- Wednesday afternoon - 13:30 to 17:00
See the below pdf file for the actual program schedule.
Click  to find out the number of attendees registered for each workshop.
- There are 8 desktop PC rooms. So there is one computer available for one/two participant(s).
- Projector and desktop PC for one presenter
- Network available : LAN or WLAN
- 1 printer (Amphipôle)
- 1 file server (Linux/Samba)
See also the below pdf document (PC specs, number of computers...)
Desktop PCs pre-installation
- Committee will provide a basic installation of each PC
- Committee will also make sure each room will be ready for workshops to run immediately. Therefore we need to know exactly what must be installed.
- If installing your software is part of your workshop, ask committee to not pre-install the software.
- All attendees and presenters will have Administrative rights on machines - you're free to install during your workshop.
- We will schedule two time slots on Monday and Tuesday to access rooms and check that all is ok (Tuesday workshop presenters should use the Monday time slot to check room).
- WinXP with SP2
- Win Media Player 10
- Firefox 184.108.40.206
- Filezilla 2.2.26a
- Adobe Reader 7.0.8
- Adobe SVG 3.03
- TextPad 4.7.3
- Crimson Editor 3.70
- Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 8 
- dotNet Framework 2.0 
- 7-Zip 4.42
- Open Office
(all in english version)
Amphipôle (Pol 342/geolab)(40) : GRASS LiveCD
Amphipôle (Pol 189.1)(40) : High mix
Amphipôle (Pol 204.2)(30) : CartoWeb
Amphipôle (Pol 189)(28) : Mapguide
- mapguide server 1.0.1 https://mapguide.osgeo.org/files/documents/12/234/MgServerSetup.exe
- mapguide web extensions 1.0.1 https://mapguide.osgeo.org/files/documents/12/235/MgWebServerExtensionsSetup.exe
- php viewer sample - may not be needed https://mapguide.osgeo.org/files/documents/12/56/phpviewersample.zip
- sheboygan.mgp data set https://mapguide.osgeo.org/files/documents/12/59/Sheboygan.mgp
- mapguide studio preview (follow link to download free preview from autodesk) http://www.autodesk.com/mapguidestudio
- gmap data set TBD - likely a zip file
- mapguide raster provider - will try to include this in the gmap zip
- firefox 1.5
Biophore (Bio 1928)(30) : Low mix
EPFL (GC D0 383)(18) : LiveCD, Tomcat/OJ
EPFL (GR C0 02)(22) : Tomcat room
EPFL (GR BO 01)(40) MapServer Room
- MS4W 1.5.5 (PHP4) with 4.10.0-beta2 upgrade
- Chameleon 2.4
- php_dbase loaded in php.ini (or an update of the MapNotes widget from 2.4 CVS branch of Chameleon)
- ogc workshop 1.0.4
- text editors (Textpad, context)
Thanks to previous emails concerning software requirements, we compiled a sofware requirements document that the committee will use : https://conference.osgeo.org/files/documents/42/267/wksSoftRequirements.ods
Note that the committee needs to know the exact software versions required for your workshop (MapServer version, GeoServer version, PHP version, etc.). Please email those to , or use the FTP site below to copy your instructions, installers, and workshop documents/data.
Upload your workshop files by September 1st
- What ? :
- specific software/data to pre-install/copy on each PC desktop.
- specific instructions for installation if required
- How ? :
- FTP access : 220.127.116.11 (ftp.foss4g.ch)
- Login/passwd : sent by email
- FTP access : 18.104.22.168 (ftp.foss4g.ch)
- When ? :
- Until Sept 1st
Upload your workshop documents
For uploading workshop documents (text/pdf documents and presentation slides), obviously you can upload them on the ftp. However, there is an advantage to submit them through the website http://www.foss4g2006.org, because these documents will also be automaticaly published so everyone can access them.
To submit workshop documents through the website :
login -> My Contributions -> Choose a contribution -> Submit material
Please tell us if the committee should print these documents for you and your attendees
Stay tuned !
Please don't hesitate to send your feedback and requests to .