GDAL SoC Ideas
Revision as of 17:51, 1 March 2007 by Hobu
GDAL/OGR Related ideas for the Google Summer of Code 2007:
- Write an OGC WMS driver, likely somewhat modelled on the WCS driver implementation.
- Implement a raster reader/writer for KML.
- Implement vector KML reading.
- Generally implement new file format drivers for geospatial raster or vector formats not already supported by GDAL/OGR.
- Implement GeoPNG/GeoJPEG by embeding coordinate system and geotransformation information (possibly in GML) as chunks in PNG and JPEG files (see GML JP2 for a model of how this might be done).
- Extend the OGR SQL parser to support some OGC SQL spatial function operators.
- new feature Clip to Extents of other raster, paying attention to nodata (take Raster A, and clip out/erase all areas for which Raster B does not extend to or has nodata values)
- new feature to Clip by Polygon, as above but use a vector polygon for the selection area(s)
- new program: Command Line Helper. A gui to help build a gdal utilities (gdal_translate, gdalwarp, etc.) command line. I'm always getting confused about --config CACHE_MAX and -co compress=somedarnthing and --optfile somethingelse.txt and so on as a lot of them are specific to the output driver being used.
- Provide GDAL Warp API to the language bindings
- GML 3 support
- OGR WFS read driver
- Update drivers to use modern CPL utilities
- Embed Python in GDAL to allow rapid prototyping/subclassing of drivers