General Principles of Incubation
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Purpose of Incubation
The purpose of the OSGeo incubation process is to ensure that projects that are officially part of OSGeo:
- have a successfully operating open and collaborative development community
- have clear IP oversight of the code base of the project
- adopt the OSGeo principles and operating principles
- are mentored through the incubation process
Principles of OSGeo Projects (The OSGeo Way)
- Projects should manage themselves, striving for consensus and encouraging participation from all contributors - from beginning users to advanced developers.
- Contributors are the scarce resource and successful projects court and encourage them.
- Projects are encouraged to adopt open standards and collaborate with other OSGeo projects.
- Projects are responsible for reviewing and controlling their code bases to insure the integrity of the open source baselines.
- Projects should document how they manage themselves.
- Projects should maintain developer and user documentation.
- Projects should maintain a source code management system.
- Projects should maintain a discrepancy tracking system.
- Projects should maintain project mailing lists.
- Projects should actively promote their participation in OSGeo.
- Projects are encouraged to adopt OSGeo look and feel, branding, logos on their project sites.
- Projects are encouraged to participate in OSGeo standardization efforts to present a common interface for OSGeo visitors and members.
- Projects should have automated build and smoke test systems.