General Principles of Incubation
Purpose of Incubation
The purpose of the OSGeo incubation process is to ensure that projects that are officially part of OSGeo:
- have a successfully operating open and collaborative development community
- have clear IP oversight of the code base of the project
- adopt the OSGeo principles and operating principles
- are mentored through the incubation process
Principles of OSGeo Projects (The OSGeo Way)
- Projects should manage themselves, striving for consensus and encouraging participation from all contributors - from beginning users to advanced developers.
- Contributors are the scarce resource and successful projects court and encourage them.
- Projects are encouraged to adopt open standards and collaborate with other OSGeo projects.
- Projects are responsible for reviewing and controlling their code bases to insure the integrity of the open source baselines.
- Projects should document how they manage themselves.
- Projects should maintain developer and user documentation.
- Projects should maintain a source code management system.
- Projects should maintain a discrepancy tracking system.
- Projects should maintain project mailing lists.
- Projects should actively promote their participation in OSGeo.
- Projects are encouraged to adopt OSGeo look and feel, branding, logos on their project sites.
- Projects are encouraged to participate in OSGeo standardization efforts to present a common interface for OSGeo visitors and members.
- Projects should have automated build and smoke test systems.