The OSGEO Edcation and Curriculum Effort
This component of OSGeo is focused on building a repository of educational material related to geoscience in general, and open source geospatial software specifically. In events like the recent FOSS4Geo conference, it became apparent that there is broad interest to coordinate, collaborate and share educational materials. Moreover, its clear that content authors -- all over the world -- are ready and willing to share their content with others. The OSGeo educational effort is working to organize and coordinate these interests and efforts.
Want to join us?
- Make yourself known to the OSGeo edu community
- Tell us about your efforts or share your educational material
Visit our Educational Resources Educational Content Inventory wiki page.
We are especially interested in Creative Commons licensed material, but welcome entries of educational material following any form of copyright.
- Volunteer to help!
See our Education Working Groups OSGeo Education Projects page and contact the subcommittee chair person
old stuff below this
Markus Neteler moved that a "Education and Curriculum Committee" be designated to create and promote educational and curriculum material. This motion was accepted at the Fifth Board Meeting. See Education Contributors page for a list of contributors.
The project aims at creating and promoting educational and curriculum material that supports the goals of the Foundation. The intent is to provide appropriately licensed material that is accessible by a broad audience including academia, professionals, and the general public. Material supported through this project should directly or indirectly build and strengthen the open source geospatial user and developer communities. This can be accomplished by integrating the use of FOSS4G tools in curricula that teach geospatial concepts and applications as well as the creating curricula to teach skills necessary for people to actively participate in FOSS4G and free geospatial data projects. The committee also seeks cooperation with academic research projects to promote the use of FOSS4G in research projects, to get FOSS4G used as a platform for research, and to present FOSS4G as a research subject.
- Meeting dates are available via iCal-compatible calendar. You can access it using any iCal-compatible client (Apple iCal on Mac OSX, or Sunbird/Lightning/Mozilla calendar extension on any platform, or any other suitable client) by subscribing to the iCal URL.
- Minutes of previous meetings
- Sep 9
- FOSS4G2006 minutes (Sept. 2006)
- EduCom Meeting 1 March 2007
- FOSS4G2007 meeting (Sept. 2007)
- Puneet's Visit to Brazil (May 2007)
Existing open educational geospatial materials
- The NCGIA Core Curriculum in GIScience
- GITTA - Geographic Information Technology Training Alliance with material under Creative Commons license
- Open Source Training Providers