GeoServer Code Sprint 2016
The GeoServer web administration console is built on top of the Wicket 1.4.x series, which is pretty old and unmaintaned. The purpose of the sprint is to update it to Wicket 7.x, the current stable version.
Due to the large distance between the two releases and the number of backwards incompatible changes accumulated by Wicket in the years this will require the concerted effort of a handful of developers over a few days, including the changes to upgrade the code, and the thorough hand testing of the resulting modified interface.
We would like to extend our thanks to the following sponsors:
- Jody Garnett - Boundless
- Andrea Aime - GeoSolutions
Venue and dates
The code sprint will be held in Victoria BC to minimize travel costs. Boundless has offered to provide a venue (either the Boundless Victoria offices or a local technology centre).
The date is tentatively set for the week of January 18th.
This date is selected towards of the GeoServer 2.9 release cycle prior to the code freeze in February, keeping resource availability in mind.
Accommodation and costs
Participants should plan the travel, accommodation and meals.
- Depending on sponsorship level guests to Victoria will be hosted at or billeted with local community.
- At the time of writing accommodation for four guests is available (thanks to Jody Garnett and Martin Davis).
We hope to raise enough financial support to cover overseas travel, and possibly meals.
We have the following sponsorship levels:
|Gold||$1000 CAD||$740 USD||€548 EUR|
|Silver||$500 CAD||$370 USD||€274 EUR|
|Bronze||$250 CAD||$185 USD||€137 EUR|
|Beer||In-kind contributions are graciously accepted|
Contributions will be put towards travel costs for overseas sprinters who would be otherwise unable to attend. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to OSGeo or used for a future code sprint. We have set-up the sprint to minimize travel and accommodation costs.
Sponsors will receive the following honors:
- Your logo at the top of this page
- Mention in all of our public communication, including GeoServer 2.9 release announcement
- Our gratitude :)
We are reaching out to organizations to see if there is interest in sponsorship:
- International organizations (OSGeo, Boundless, GeoSolutions);
- Local organizations (BC Government, Refractions, Vivid Solutions)
If there is a lot of local sponsorship we expect to drag the developers away from the task at hand and meet the local community (at a social evening or similar).
OSGeo Funding Request
The following information is requested by OSGeo Board Code_Sprint_Guidelines:
- GeoServer Code Sprint 2015 Budget
- TLDR: Looking to raise $6000 CAD ($4500 USD) to assist with overseas travel expenses
|2||Jody Garnett||-||Monday-Friday||-||Dev||limited experience with wicket.|
|6||Mike Pumphrey||USA||-||TBD||Docs||GeoServer documentation maintainer performing final checks & screenshots.|
|8||Niels Charlier||Belgium||-||TBD||Dev||Experienced with wicket.|
|9||Gabriel Roland||Argentina||-||TBD||Dev||Experienced with wicket.|
|10||Jim Hughes||USA||Thurs-Friday||TBD||Test||May show up mid-sprint to help with QA (staying afterwards for a few days)|
|10||Martin Davis||-||Wednesday||-||Test||Available for testing (has oracle development environment)|
If you cannot attend in person you may still be in position to update screens or assist with testing a nightly build overnight. Close collaboration for manual testing will require use of IRC/Skype/Hangout as appropriate for the parties involved.
|1||Ian Turton||UK||Hangout||Hapless volunteer|
|2||Ben Caradoc-Davies||NZ||Hangout||Moral support|
The schedule has been broken down by day to help plan activities for those with limited availability. If you can stop by for an afternoon to help with testing, or volunteer online to test a nightly build, please let the team know.
- Use of Java 8 syntax to reduce wicket boiler plate code
- Mike Pumphrey will be on hand to update user guide as each screen is completes manual testing
Out of scope:
- Changing the codebase to use a different library (the effort would be at least an order of magnitude bigger)
- Improve the behavior of the current UI (we can make improvements at the end, once everything works, if time remains)
Monday 18 Jan
- change wicket Dependency
- wicket 7 bootcamp / migration guide
- migrate to wicket 7
Tuesday 19 Jan
- migrate to wicket 7
- migration/testing: workspace configuration screens
- migration/testing: datastore configuration screens
- oracle: martin
Wednesday 20 Jan
- migration/testing: global configuration screens
- migration/testing: service configuration screens (jody/volunteer)
- migration/testing: layer configuration screens
- image mosaic:
Thursday 21 Jan
- migration/testing: tile cache configuration screens (kevin/volunteer)
- migration/testing: security configuration screens
- migration/testing: demos
Friday 22 Jan
- manual testing: demos
- manual testing: extensions
- manual testing: select community modules