Difference between revisions of "Geodata Committee Meeting 20060322"

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search
(Minutes)
(Group Focus)
Line 31: Line 31:
 
* Portal for accessing existing data
 
* Portal for accessing existing data
 
** Sources of data
 
** Sources of data
*** Packaged data sets
+
*** Packaged data sets (e.g. TIGER/Line, VMap0, ...)
*** Catalog of OGC-compliant services
+
*** Web services (OGC-compliant services, OPeNDAP)
** Allan: "there have been lots of attempts... at first, all you need is pointers to the data & services...
+
** Allan: "there have been lots of attempts... at first, all you need is pointers to the data & services... but to gain critical mass, you have to fill the catalog with good stuff..."
but to gain critical mass, you have to fill the catalog with good stuff..."
+
 
** Jo proposes an Action Item to compile a list of existing portals
 
** Jo proposes an Action Item to compile a list of existing portals
 
*** http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/ogcsurvey/
 
*** http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/ogcsurvey/
Line 41: Line 40:
 
*** http://nationalatlas.gov/
 
*** http://nationalatlas.gov/
 
*** Canadian CGDI
 
*** Canadian CGDI
 +
*** ...

Revision as of 08:25, 22 March 2006

Public Geospatial Data Committee Meeting 2006-Mar-22

Meeting Info

 Chair: Jo Walsh
 Minutes: Need volunteer
 IRC: #osgeo channel on irc.freenode.org
 Date: 2006-Mar-22 (at least in the Americas and Europe)
 Time: Wednesday March 22, 15:00 UTC

Agenda Items

  • Introductions
    • Who are in the Committee?
  • Discuss focus of group - accessing data versus enabling tools for creating data or something in between?
  • How to take stock of what is available? Are we aiming to have a repository of data or pointers to external data?
    • Outreach - if people are working on repository efforts already, how can we connect with them?
  • Geodata licensing is a pressing issue. The Public Geodata license has invoked calls for an LPGL model without a ShareAlike constraint. Can we start a working group on this?
  • Schedule next committee meeting
  • Please Add Agenda Items

Minutes

  • Attendance: Jo Walsh, Frank Warmerdam, David Bitner, Jeff McKenna, Alan Doyle, Schuyler Erle, Markus Neteler, Perry Nacionales, Florian Kindl, Daniel Brookshier

Group Focus

  • Accessing data? enabling tools for creating data? or something in between? -- consensus is we want both a portal for accessing existing geodata *and* tools for creating new data.