Geoservices REST API
This wiki page aims to collate community concerns related to the proposed acceptance of the "Geoservices REST API" becoming an OGC standard.
Open Letter to OGC and voting members
Please don't edit this "Open Letter" statement, comments and discussion should go below.
We, the undersigned, have concerns that approving the "Geoservices REST API" as an OGC standard, would have detrimental impacts on interoperability within the spatial industry.
We strongly urge that the proposed "Geoservices REST API", as it stands in May 2013, be rejected as an OGC standard.
People have listed different reasons for concern. They are described below.
Please add your name here if you agree with the above statement. Include name, work title (if appropriate), very brief title/involvement in OSGeo if appropriate. (Link to OSGeo profile if appropriate). You may sign as a group, such as the Project Steering Committee of XXX project if you wish, or as Your Name on behalf of YYY company.
- Cameron Shorter, Geospatial Solutions Director at LISAsoft, core contributor & coordinator of OSGeo-Live
- Stephen Woodbridge, Director of iMaptools.com, Contributor and/or PSC of Mapserver, pgRouting, PAGC, and PostGIS
--- DRAFT ____
Please add concerns as bullet points below. Try to be concise. Where appropriate, link to external web pages (such as email achieves)
To do: Add a brief 3 paragraphs or so summarising the issues.
Todo: please expand
- Explain how this standard came to be
- Based on Arc GIS Server API
- Attempted but failed to go through OGC fast track process
- Recent voting history: refer to: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2013-May/011602.html
Todo: Link to key external docs, such as the proposed standards