Difference between revisions of "Google Code In 2019 Recommendations for Students"
Latest revision as of 04:07, 15 October 2019
Welcome to OSGeo!
We are a fun vibrant community that believes in sharing Open Source software related to making maps.
How to ask general questions about the Code-in
Send an Email of questions to OSGeo
- subscribe to OSGeo's "gci-discuss" mailing list here
- ask your question, and usually within a day someone from the OSGeo Code-in team (mentors or administrators) will reply
- all OSGeo mentors for the Code-in contest follow this "gci-discuss" mailing list
Ask on the #osgeo-gci IRC chat channel
- IRC-channel: #osgeo-gci channel on freenode.net
- how to connect: choose your favorite IRC client, or go directly through your web browser with webchat
- enter a nickname and click "I am not a robot" and press "Connect"
- upon entering, ask your questions as you wish (no need to wait, just say "hello, I have a question about the Code-In, how do I..."
Get to know the OSGeo Community
The OSGeo foundation ( http://osgeo.org ) was founded in the year 2006 and contains many different types of Open Source software projects to help make geographical maps.
The OSGeo foundation also holds a super-fun conference each year, all over the world, named FOSS4G ( http://foss4g.org ) for Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial.
- the global geospatial (mapping) industry is huge now (400 Billion USD revenue industry, as of September 2017, read report)
- learn skills useful to get jobs in the mapping industry (Open Source is rarely taught at school, yet it is in huge demand by employers around the world)
- OSGeo community members are fun, vibrant, and willing to help!
- we have local chapters (local groups getting together or discussing on their own mailing lists in many languages) all over the world! (see list)
OSGeo projects use a variety of coding languages, including:
OSGeo Projects & Initiatives Involved in the Code-In
- FOSS4G (global conference event)
- GeoServer (web mapping)
- GRASS GIS (desktop)
- istSOS (web mapping)
- Leaflet (web mapping)
- MapServer (web mapping)
- OSGeoLive (installer for projects)
- pgRouting (geospatial library)
Searching for a Project's Mailing list Archives
A good trick to search an OSGeo project's mailing list for help, if you are stuck on a coding problem, is to use OSGeo's Nabble Forum: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/