Google Summer of Code 2008 Ideas
The Open Source Geospatial Foundation would like to extend a welcome to all SoC students. On this page you will find links to a host of ideas organized by project. You will find ideas ranging from the depths of computer science graph theory to the heights of visualization. One thing all these ideas have in common is lots and lots of spatial data.
These ideas are *only* to motivate you, and serve as example of the kind of hills we want to charge up. Your own ideas are more than welcomed - they are encouraged. We view you as the next wave of open source leaders; show us what you've got.
If you need more information on how to apply try this guide for applicants
What is the URL for your ideas page?
Each participating project's list of ideas is here, with a short description of the project and what type of students would be interested in it.
- GDAL SoC Ideas GDAL is the Geographic Data Abstraction Library, a library which provides access to spatial data in all kinds of formats via a uniform API.
- GRASS SoC Ideas GRASS GIS is an opensourse GIS focusing mainly on analysis.
- Mapbender SoC ideas 2008 Mapbender is a server and client side geographic data management tool.
- OpenStreetMap SoC 2008
- Quantum GIS SoC Ideas
- MapServer 2008 SOC Ideas
- Laval University/CamptoCamp 2008 SoC ideas
- GeoServer SoC 2008
- GeoTools SoC 2008
- uDig SoC 2008
What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
- OSGeo Wide - firstname.lastname@example.org (http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss)
- OSGeo SoC Mentors and Students - email@example.com (http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/soc)
- GeoServer - firstname.lastname@example.org ( http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-devel )
- GeoTools - email@example.com ( http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geotools-devel )
- uDig - firstname.lastname@example.org ( http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/udig-devel )
- MapGuide - email@example.com ( http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapguide-internals )
- OpenJUMP - firstname.lastname@example.org ( http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jump-pilot-devel )
- MapServer - email@example.com ( http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapserver-dev )
- GDAL - firstname.lastname@example.org ( http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/gdal-dev )
- PostGIS - email@example.com ( http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users )
- GRASS - firstname.lastname@example.org ( http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev )
- Mapbender - email@example.com ( http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev )
What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
Project irc channels: