Greek Language Chapter Report 2009
Revision as of 11:47, 3 January 2010 by Kotzino
Greek Language Chapter
- Period covered by report: Jan-Dec 2009
- Contact name: Dimitris Kotzinos
- The OSGeo Greek Local Chapter was initiated only in November 2007. During 2009 membership grew and a new mailing list under OSGeo (thanks Arnulf and Tyler) was initiated.
- Two main events were planned and successfully carried out:
- Interoperability in Geographic Information Day, on April 3rd, 2009 at Athens, Greece with OGC
- Open Source Web Mapping Workshop, June 20th 2009 at Athens, Greece at the Greek Open Source Developers Conference
- Greek Local Chapter Mailing List initiated. Info available at: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/greek
Areas for Improvement
- We still do not have the participation in OSGeo we expected. We need to intensify the efforts to increase the membership and the overall awareness.
Opportunities to Help
- In the future we will definitely need some speakers for national FOSS or just simple GIS events.
- We would also like to demonstrate some cases of successful use of FOSS GIS by the public sector to local government officials.
- We would like to plan some demo classes on FOSS GIS for students in universities and how these can be integrated in their curricula in order to show that we can achieve the exact same educational result.
Outlook for 2010
- We also plan to 3 or more national events this year, depending on availability and funding.
- We would also be very interested in having the ability to apply for funding as a chapter/organization and we would like to seek help/information from other local chapters that do or plan to do the same.