Much OSGeo related communication happens in IRC (Internet Relay Chat), an instant messaging protocol. Lots of general information on IRC is available in Wikipedia.
IRC requires IRC client software. There are a wide variety of clients available:
Desktop IRC clients
- A nice IRC client is for example https://hexchat.github.io/
- Thunderbird (email client) has a great IRC client that is included in the default installation: see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/instant-messaging-and-chat
Browser IRC plugins
- Chrome has several IRC apps/extensions, including CIRC
The ChatZilla client is available for Firefox users on all platforms.(outdated as of Firefox Quantum version in 2017)
Web based IRC
IRC uses a TCP/IP port which is often blocked in environments with strictly managed internet access. In these environments it is still possible to use http based clients such as:
http://irc.telascience.org/- NOT AVAILABLE http://www.mibbit.com/- BLOCKED BY FREENODE
The primary OSGeo channel is #osgeo on the irc.freenode.net network. Generally speaking you would connect to irc.freenode.net and then issue the "/join #osgeo" command or possibly follow the irc://irc.freenode.net/osgeo URL.
Other channels of interest:
- #drupal-geo - Drupal GEO
- #fdo - Feature Data Objects
- #featureserver - FeatureServer
- #foss4g - FOSS4G conference organization & discussions
- #gdal - GDAL/OGR project (as well as FWTools, PROJ.4)
- #geonetwork - Geonetwork Open Source
- #geotools - GeoTools (also to some extent GeoServer, uDig)
- #grass - GRASS GIS
- #mapbender - Mapbender
- #mapguide - MapGuide Open Source (and Enterprise)
- #mapserver - MapServer and some MapServer based frameworks
- #openlayers - OpenLayers
- #osgeolive - Live GIS Disc
- #ossimplanet - OSSIM project
- #postgis - PostGIS
- #osgeo-geos - GEOS
- #pycsw - pycsw
- #qgis - QGIS
- #zoo-project - ZOO-Project
- #osgeo-es - Capítulo Local de la comunidad hispano-hablante
- #cugos - Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
- #osgeo-europe - Europe OSGeo Chapter
- #fossgis - German language OSGeo chapter (logs)
- #osgeo-fr - Francophone OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-it (former #gfoss) - Italian language OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-phl - Philadelphia area OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-pdx Portland Chapter
- #osgeo-pt - Portugal OSGeo Chapter (use webchat se não tiver um cliente IRC, e preencha o nome e o canal #osgeo-pt)
- #osgeo-qc - Quebec OSGeo Chapter
- #osgeo-ro - Romanian OSGeo Chapter
- Don't ask to ask, just go ahead and ask your question.
- Don't paste large chunks of text into IRC channels. If you want to present a code or configuration file snippet to others to look at use a "pasting service" like http://codepad.org/ or http://osgeo.pastebin.com/ to host the snippet, and then paste the url to it into the IRC channel.
- If you want the attention of a particular person, include their nick in the message and they will generally be alerted (flashed, bell rung, etc).
- Give folks a while to respond. They are usually multi-tasking and might not look at IRC for a while.
- If an active conversation is going on, wait for a lull to raise a different topic (a minute of inactivity for instance)
Many popular OSGeo related channels are logged. The #osgeo channel logs are at:
Other logs may also be found under:
http://irclogs.geoapt.com//<add project name>
Some channels (ie. #mapserver and #osgeo) are also logged on IRSeek (http://www.irseek.com), an IRC search engine.
Administration and Ops
The "osgeo" group on freenode now has Mateusz, Angelos, Jeff and strk as primary contacts and co-founder of all of the currently registered channels :
#osgeo #osgeo-commits #osgeo-fr #osgeo-gr #osgeo-gsoc #osgeo-it #osgeo-kansai #osgeo-ro #osgeo-sac #osgeo-uk