The Lexicon committee is responsible for coordinating official definitions for terminology used within the OSGeo context. The committee is drawn from the OSGeo, OGC and ISO communities and is based on merit and interest.
TBD: Once formed, the following people have volunteered to join this committee
- Ronald Tse
- Reese Plews
- Cameron Shorter
- ... others welcomed
Selection of new members is determined by committee member vote. Committee members may retire any time. If a committee member becomes inactive for many months they may be invited to retire, and if unresponsive they may be removed by the existing committee.
Decisions are based on voting using the following:
- +1: For
- +0: Mildly for, but mostly indifferent
- 0: Indifferent
- -0: Mildly against, but mostly indifferent
- -1: Strongly against. This is expected to be accompanied by a reason.
For most decisions, a motion is raised within one of the committee open forums (IRC, email list, etc) and those present vote and decide. Should a decision:
- Be strategic or impact many within the committee,
- Or if there be contention in deciding, and after discussion at least one member is still strongly against the motion, by continuing to vote -1,
- Then the motion should be referred to the committee.
For motions presented to the committee, a motion is considered passed when there are more committee +1 votes than -1 votes, and either all committee members have voted, or 1 week has passed. In the case of a tie, the committee chair shall have 1.5 votes.
Expectations of committee members
- Contribute to or related activities when the committee is active.
- Help with whatever dirty work is required to keep the project moving forward.
- Monitor committee conversations on our email list.
- TBD: This section will describe the process for managing terms.
- TBD: Information sourced from https://www.iso.org/sites/directives/current/part2/index.xhtml#_idTextAnchor196
Process for adding and maintaining terms
- TBD: Describe a process
- Anyone can suggest a term. (Explain how)
- As part of the annual OSGeoLive build process, all existing and proposed new terms will be reviewed, and discussed with proposers.
- Valid terms will be added to ... (Explain how).
- They will then be ...