Live GIS Disc
- 1 FOSS4G 2008 LiveDVD
- 2 Development
FOSS4G 2008 LiveDVD
To create a live CD\DVD with as much OSGEO software as possible to be used in workshops, as handouts at conferences and to demonstrate a full functioning FOSS GIS stack.
Download the live DVD from here: http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/ .
FOSS4G 2008 LiveDVD Contents
|GeoServer 1.6.4||GDAL 1.5.0||GRASS 6.3.0|
|gvSIG 1.1.1||Java 1.6.0||PgAdmin 1.6.3|
|PostGIS 1.3.1||PostgreSQL 8.3.1||Proj 4.5.0|
|QGIS 0.11.0||R 2.4.1|
|FWTools 2.2.1||gvSIG 1.1.1|
|ms4w 2.2.8||QGIS 0.11.0|
|North Carolina GRASS Dataset||QGIS Alaskan Dataset||Spearfish|
|Tasmania Dataset||US States||NYC Dataset|
- Communication on the Debian GIS list
- IRC will be on irc://freenode.net#osgeo
What exists as of September, 11 2008
|Authors||Distro Base||Packages||Building tool||Link|
|Camptocamp||Ubuntu:||MapGuideOS, adding MapFish, and SDI ?|
|LisaSoft||Ubuntu||PostGIS, geoserver, gvsig||LISAsoft-LiveCD process|
|Ominiverdi||Xubuntu||QGIS, Grass, PostGIS, GDAL, R||UCK||Ominiverdi Edu Live|
|Gvsig||Knoppix||Postgis, geoserver, deegree, geonetwork||gvsig live|
Live DVD for FOSS4G2008
- DVD in size (not CD)
- Base Distribution: Xubuntu
- We will start from the Ominiverdi image
- LISAsoft will add Geoserver and hopefully other java packages
|Who did testing||ISO Image||Results||Machines|
|Cameron Shorter||FOSS4G-2008-LiveDVD-Alpha2.iso||Loaded fine, didn't note any problems with images|
||VMWare Beta 2 on Ubuntu 8.04 amd64|
|Brian Hamlin||FOSS4G-2008-LiveDVD-Alpha3_4.iso||PGAdmin/psql, QGis Pg layers, ok.. GeoServer MapPreview of Alaska Layer in OpenLayers shows no results??||MacBook, VirtualBox 2 on amd64|
|Nicol Hermann||FOSS4G-2008-LiveDVD-Alpha3_4.iso||Loading OK. Missing raster layer in gvSIG project, unsure what password to use for postgis ODBC connection during gvSIG startup. I found no logout/shoutdown link on the Desktop. Does this happen intentionally?||Lenovo T60, WLAN was not detected|
||Windows on VirtualBOX 1.5|
||LiveCD on VirtualBOX 1.5|
- Password is in the Readme on the desktop, maybe we should but it on the desktop by embedding it in the background image?
- Logout/shutdown is in the upper right corner, as well as on the main menu.
- Burn onto a DVD
- Graphics to be printed onto the other side with a suitable logo and contents. A simple one colour print run will be sufficient.
- Target print run of at least 100. If budget permits, 250 would be better. It would be good to give one to all local delegates who want one.
- We need to know when we need to hand over the ISO image so that it can be burned.
- The more time we have, the more testing we can do on the image and the more polished it will be.
- We can hand the image over on Tuesday 23 September, but would prefer if we had till Thursday 2 October.
The 2008 Local Organising Committee have provided the following details for burning DVDs and printing: FOSS4G_2008_Media_Facilities
From the 2008 Local Organising Committee:
- Heindrich Du Plessis
- Burnie / Inge, have a list of service providers that is being used for the conference CDs?
Tim Bowden has found someone as well ...
LiveCD for FOSS4G2008 Schedule
|Fr 12 Sept||
|Fr 19 Sept||
|We 24 Sept||
|Th 25 Sept||Burn CDs||Tim Bowden|
|Mo 29 Sept||FOSS4G 2008 Starts|
- LISAsoft can provide equivalent of 1 resource, split between Mark Leslie, Stefan Hansen, Volker Mische, & Cameron Shorter.
- jsanz, chevi
- wildintellect have offered 2 days
- Tim Bowden is looking into CD burning
- Luca Casagrande and Ominiverdi Family
- HamishBowman can provide DebianGIS integration help
- ... (add your name)
Long Term Plan
Not discussed yet. To be considered at the FOSS4G BOF (and irc hookup for those not present) http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2008_BOF_Sessions#Room_2.60a
- Next updated release for GIS Day 2008, November 19th
- Include QGIS 1.0
- Addition of some more python tools:
- Add JTS-1.8.0, with a script to launch the TestBuilder as a demo