MOU Between GeoForAll and the National GeoTech Center
The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is to establish a collaborative relationship between the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) and the National Geospatial Technology Center of Excellence (GeoTech Center). Both parties to this MOU share the goal of enhancing geoeducation opportunities and preparing students for the geospatial workforce.
GeoForAll is the OSGeo’s initiative for educational outreach, and it seeks to make geospatial education opportunities accessible to all.
The GeoTech Center is a unit of Jefferson Community and Technical College and receives funding from the National Science Foundation's Advanced Technological Education Program that promotes technician education primarily at the two-year college level by supporting educators with workshops, webinars, a syllabus repository, and the Geospatial Technology Competency Model (GTCM).
OSGeo (through its Geoforall initiative) and GeoTech Center agree to cooperate in the following activities, which are to their mutual benefit:
- GeoTech Center and GeoForAll will collaborate to identify opportunities for student and faculty travel support to OSGeo and GeoTech Center events, and encourage 2-year college students and faculty to contribute to the events as volunteers, presenters, or participants with reduced or waived registration fees.
- OSGeo has a no-fee membership structure and do not offer discounts to our own members, although many events offer a reduced rate for students.
- GeoTech Center and GeoForAll will explore opportunities for supporting student competitions or internship opportunities within the OSGeo ecosystem.
- GeoTech Center will promote OSGeo resources on their website and encourage its partner institutions to become a GeoForAll lab or submit OSGeo lab materials to GeoForAll.
- GeoTech Center will promote contribution to geospatial open source projects
- i. Direct participation in the development and documentation of OSGeo projects
- ii. Positive and productive participation in project email list and communication channels
- iii. Use of the project issue tracker and public support channels
- iv. Adopt an open source participation policy enabling students and staff to work on shared intellectual property.
- GeoTech Center will advertise OSGeo events to its partner institutions through its quarterly newsletter, webinars, and annual conference (GeoEd).
- GeoForAll will highlight and promote the GeoTech Center’s events and resources in its newsletters and website.