This is the new name and home of the former Promotion and Visibility Committee.
- 1 Committee Infrastructure
- 2 Agenda
- 3 Meeting Protocols
- 4 Committee Members
- 5 Tasks
The committee Infrastructure currently comprises a Mailing List, regular meetings on IRC, a directory in the OSGeo SVN, CMS web space and this Wiki (does any Marketing member watch Trac? Which one?).
Everyone is welcome to work with this committee and contribute, whether or not you are a formal member of the committee. Please join the Marketing mailing list and lurk or introduce yourself.
The Marketing Committee has a mailing list at marketing at lists.osgeo.org. To post a mail please first (subscribe). This will formally associate you as a member of OSGeo. The archive of this mailing list is open to the public.
Next meeting takes place on Wednesday 2008-07-09 at 14:00 UTC. Join on (#osgeo). IRC client (select #osgeo from the drop-down list, and type /nick YOURNAME, to set your nickname for use in the channel).
Please add items to this agenda as you go. Anybody can add points here, you do not have to be a member of the Marketing Committee.
Collect and discuss events:
- Set Percy as event owner for OSCON 2008
- Report of the California Geographical Society Annual Meeting 2008: Conservation and Planning for Sustainability (Details (1.6MB PDF))
- Finnish GIS Expo 23-24 Sep 2008
- Evaluate whats there (please do this ahead of the meeting)
- OSGeo projects flyers (Scribus format, flyers need update): http://osgeo.org/files/viscom/brochures/OSGeo_Brochures_v1_Scribus.zip
- GSoC 2008 OSGeo Flyer (OpenOffice format) https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/flyer/
- Flyer with general information about OSGeo
- Discuss content, layout
- Do we want to make it available in different languages and if how?
- Prioritize needs for update?
- How to organize updates? Suggest to use SVN (https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/).
- Formats, software, storage, management
- OpenOffice for editing (save in OpenDocument format then)
- Skribus for layouting
- PDF for dissemination
- Anybody tracking anything?
- Anybody feel there is something that needs to be done?
Ticket for SAC to edit rewrite rule to allow URL of the type:
Follow up on status of http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/261
- What can we do to promote FOSS4G in SA?
- Use and brand an existing Live CD for promo purposes, redistribution?
- Booth - potential volunteer to help run it (Tyler)
Discussion of Communication Plan
See Marketing Proposal 2007) and IRC log.
- What can Open Source Marketing do for us?
- Case Studies http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Case_Studies
New logos are under way.
Find a Branding day.
- Status report on OSGeo Membership Mashup
- Which geo locator for IP-addresses should be used? Recommendations anyone?
- Discuss membership fee mechanism (people are eager to spend some money as a registered member, how to address?)
The CMS hosts a web site named Charter Member. it say:
* Eligibility Requirements: must be nominated and voted in * Nominating Rights: same as Member * Voting Rights: may vote for new Charter Members and Board Members The Foundation maintains on the website a public roster of Charter Members. The new portal will host a public roster of all members. Those who choose to provide latitude/longitude will be displayed in a map. "Registration" on the website consists of the following: self-chosen username, valid email address, postal address, optional professional affiliation(s), optional latitude/longitude, and an optional short bio/description.
- Marketing Meeting 2008-06-11
- Marketing Meeting 2008.05.28
- Marketing Meeting 2008.04.16
- Marketing Meeting 2008.02.27
- Marketing Meeting 2008.01.30
- Marketing Meeting 2008.01.16
- Marketing Meeting 2007.12.05
- Marketing Meeting 2007.11.21
- Marketing Meeting 2007.10.24
- Marketing Meeting 2007.10.10
- Also see VisCom Meetings for older ones
Committee members are eligible to vote. The process to become Committee member is rather informal, just send a list to introduce yourself to the list, describe your interests and - please - attend to meetings.
- Arnulf Christl (chair)
- Tyler Mitchell
- Jeroen Ticheler
- Daniele Nascimento
- Torsten Brassat
- Michael P. Gerlek
- Perry Nacionales
- Nathalie Mainland
- Cameron Shorter (occasionally)
- David Bitner (occasionally)
- Develop a Marketing Plan
- Coordinate Events
The Marketing Committee oversees the issuing of press releases for the Foundation (Press Release Process). Got some news you think is worthy of an OSGeo press release, or want to help translate some text? Let us know! Past press releases:
- 6 March 2006 - "OSGeo Created"
- Press Release 2006-07-19 "OSGeo at 6-month mark"
- Press Release 2006-10-06 "FOSS4G 2006 Conference Summary"
- Press_Release_2006-10-19 "Tyler selected as ED"
- Press_Release_2007-08-03 "Service Provider Directory Launched"
The Marketing Committee is responsible the Foundation's presence tradeshows, conferences, workshops, etc. We can coordinate the booth, supply materials, arrange for speakers, etc. Please see out Event Management page for more information.
Upcoming events are listed on the Category:Events page by adding the Category to the corresponding page.
Brochures, Flyers, Presentation Templates
Keep material updated, hunt for translations where appropriate:
- Brochures: http://www.osgeo.org/visibility
- Flyers: https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/
- Presentation Templates: http://www.osgeo.org/visibility
We have access to a trac system as task-management tool but are curently not actively using it.
- to be moved to trac:
It was planned to create an extensive library of presentations, white papers and other materials in the OSGeo Library at http://www.osgeo.org/library. Find more descriptions and links on the Library Page of this Wiki and get in contact through the Marketing Mailing List if you need anything that you cannot find in the library.