Marketing Meeting 2009.12.10

From OSGeo
Revision as of 12:05, 7 January 2010 by Tmitchell (Talk | contribs) (Action Summary: typo)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

This normal meeting is Thursday December 10th 07h00 UTC (Wednesday pm in some regions).

Agenda

Note meeting dates recently changed to 2nd week of month instead of first

  1. Update on main projects:
    1. Website concepts - Website design (Daniele)
      1. Bringing branding to the OSGeo site. Addressing website flow and accessibility, etc.
      2. Follow up from discussions back in February
      3. current situation email
      4. Applying similar ideas to making the wiki more user friendly...
    2. Marketing expectations from/to OSGeo software projects
    3. Events
      1. AGU 2009... (Alex)
      2. AAG 2010...(Alex)
      3. FOSS4G2009 final thoughts re: marketing (Cameron)
      4. FOSS4G 2010 future thoughts (Tyler)
        1. Google Adds grants for Foss4g?!?
      5. Others...
    4. Marketing Material Samples (Tyler)
    5. Exhibition Pack (Alex/Tyler)
  • Other...
  • Review time/date for next meeting

Minutes

  • Full log of meeting here at 21:54 (server time)
  • Attending: Jody Garnett, Cameron Shorter, Alex Mandel, Wolf Bergenheim, Tyler Mitchell ( Chair )

Action Summary

  1. MOTION: Tyler moves to adopt these, Alex seconds, all in favour
  2. TODO: Tyler to point Jody to flyer template for conversion into open formats, Cameron to promote
  3. TODO: Tyler coordinate templates, work with Wolf to publish in Drupal
  4. TODO: Each member review the sitemap and provide feedback from perspective of potential use case from site focus page.
  5. TODO: Tyler to look at options for hosting a shareable group calendar - either opening up the current webdav-based one or using drupal. Include subscription feed and web view
  6. MOTION: Tyler moves that we support a booth and local presence at AAG 2010, with OSGeo members manning the booth. Alex seconded, carried.
  7. TODO: coordinate adwords with Lorenzo for FOSS4G 2010
  8. TODO: Tyler to follow up with Lorenzo, Jeff re: foss4g.org
  9. Next meeting schedule... January 13/14th

Minutes Detailed

  1. Review previous minutes: Marketing Meeting
    1. MOTION: Tyler moves to adopt these, Alex seconds, all in favour
  2. Review agenda: Cameron requested discussion of project focused marketing.
  3. Marketing expectations from/to OSGeo software projects
    1. Following from email thread on marketing list.
    2. Discussed how to invite and engage projects in providing input/helping
    3. Some ideas included: having a list of things projects can to do proactively market, have a clear value proposition, as is live dvd project, reach out to companies/orgs using projects for case studies
    4. Jody: "Best way to get the flyer updated is to show the community what the flyer looks like today. The other one is to bring the flyer into their code base where they can see it"
    5. Cameron: start by setting up a schedule, identifying when we will be using material, and when we need it by.
    6. LiveDVD continuing, with 2 releases for next year, will invite missing projects
    7. Template for marketing flyer needs to be released
    8. TODO: Tyler to point Jody to flyer template for conversion into open formats, Cameron to promote
  4. Website concepts...
    1. Summarised here in two pieces, Branding and content.
    2. Some designs are here (see draft2a.jpg). Positive feedback all around.
    3. This concept is a portal launching point, the secondary is the 'normal' page with more info on it, which we don't have designs for yet
    4. Other thing to consider is secondary websites; for example project website; or local chapter websites.
    5. TODO: Tyler coordinate templates, work with Wolf to publish in Drupal
    6. Discussed site map mindmap diagram of Site organisation and content... discussion here and diagram here, with rough outline of current site (left) and made sure each page was somehow represented in the new ideas ( right side ) in the diagram.
    7. main missing pages, ones that aggregate info for particular use cases (black pages).
      1. TODO: Each member review the sitemap and provide feedback from perspective of potential use case from site focus page.
  5. Events: AGU 2009 http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AGU_2009
    1. How can we implement better long term planning around event coordination?
    2. TODO: Tyler to look at options for hosting a shareable group calendar - either opening up the current webdav-based one or using drupal. Include subscription feed and web view
    3. Events: AAG 2010
      1. MOTION: Tyler moves that we support a booth and local presence at AAG 2010, with OSGeo members manning the booth. Alex seconded, carried.
    4. Tyler has booked the booth, Eric Wolf agreed to be in charge on site, many OSGeo members in attendance, Andrew Turner offered to help fundraise and act as backup
    5. budget is about the same as last year about $1250
    6. Events: FOSS4G 2009 - nothing new to discuss
    7. Events: FOSS4G 2010...
      1. TODO: coordinate adwords with Lorenzo for FOSS4G 2010
      2. TODO: Tyler to follow up with Lorenzo, Jeff re: foss4g.org
  6. Marketing Materials....
    1. Tyler starting a sort of index at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Material_Samples

with links from each item to a wiki page..

  1. Exhibition Pack - nothing new discussed
  2. Any other items to discuss?
    1. Generally discussed 'wiki sprawl'
      1. we have more than 500 orphaned pages
  3. Next meeting schedule... January 13/14th
  • Meeting closed after 1h43 minutes