French Language OSGeo Local Chapter Activity Report 2012
- Period covered by report: Jan-Dec 2015
- Authors: OSGeo-fr local chapter community
- Contact name: Yves Jacolin - president at osgeo.asso.fr
- The French speaking OSGeo Local Chapter had 275 members on the main Mailing list as of April 14th, 2013.
OSGeo-fr is the legal association to represent OSGeo in the French speaking world. We are running, as OSGeo does, as a low capital association and aims to organize code sprints, events and user meeting. We are working also to provide french translation of documentation for all OSGeo project.
- We support Qgis user Days in Montpellier (10 - 11 December)
- Ongoing work on various projects like QGIS, MapServer (still lagging behind from master documentation though), GDAL-OGR.
- A firt "Translation Sprint" (10 - 16 July) as a test. We would like revive the experience at a bigger scale in 2016.
- Legal association
- we migrated association status on github.
Areas for Improvement
We would like enlarge our volunteers base. We need to get new members more involved in our process, specifically to help translating documentation and marketing material. We need to improve all the marketing process and get contact with the whole community to share handouts, liveDVD, etc.
Opportunities to Help
- We need help to organize news events or projects. Contact us if you are interested to help us (and then help you !)
- We hope that more open source GIS related event will be held in French speaking countries.
Outlook for 2013
- We are organising our first francophone conference followed by a code sprint. We chose FROG as the conference FRancophone sur l'Opensource et la Géomatique. The organisation is currently running smoothly and surely, involving new people and getting traction.
- We will give workshops at the «Rencontres SIG La lettre», the main GIS conference in France
- We currently improve the french translation processes for QGIS using transiflex and MapServer and GDAL-OGR.
News from the French Local chapter - 2015
- QGIS user meeting on 10 and 11st of december
- Paris Open source Summit in novembre
- Sprint trad 6 - 12 juillet
- Changement de status