- 1 Introduction
- 2 Supported Platforms
- 3 Mailing List
- 4 Goals
- 5 General Plan
- 6 Targetted Packages
- 7 Participants
- 8 Upcoming Work Priorities
- 9 Timelime
- 10 Long-Term Plan
- 11 Licensing
- 12 Technical Notes
- 13 MS4W
This page discusses the OSGeo Binary Distribution (OSGeo4W) and Installer of software for MS Windows. It is a specific case of the OSGeo Binary Distribution.
Most of the packages will target the Win32 platform, and we will add a limited support for the Win64 environments.
- Include a wide variety of OSGeo packages.
- Painless installation (exe/msi installer)
- Select desired packages only, and pull in dependencies automatically.
Morph MS4W to use a nicer installer front end (instead of just zip files) and to include more packages.
In the following context committed means we are planning to include this item, and have someone willing to do the work. desired implies we are interested in including it, but no one is committed to doing it.
- MapServer (committed, Jeff)
- MapServer CGI (committed, Jeff)
- PHP MapScript (committed, Jeff)
- Python MapScript (desired)
- Perl Mapscript (desired)
- GDAL (committed, Mateusz)
- Python bindings (desired)
- Perl bindings (committed, Ari)
- Plugin Drivers: ECW, OCI, SDE, MrSID, etc (desired)
- PostGIS/Postgres (desired) (Mark Cave-Ayland?)
- pgAdminIII/phppgadmin (desired)
- Mapbender (desired)
- Mapbuilder (desired)
- OpenLayers (desired)
- WinGRASS (desired) (Moritz Lennert?) (Tcl/Tk)
- Qt (desired) (for OSSIM, and QGIS)
- QuantumGIS (desired) - depends on Qt.
- OSSIM (desired) - depends on Qt.
- R (desired)
- FDO (desired)
- MapGuide Open Source (desired) - depends on FDO
- Geoinformatica stack (contains GTK, Perl, GDAL, GDAL-Perl, GTK-Perl, etc) (committed, Ari)
More detailed information on specific packages is available on the OSGeo4W Packages wiki page.
(interested package maintainers please add your name below!)
- Jeff McKenna: MS4W Maintainer
- Frank Warmerdam: FWTools
- Mateusz Loskot: maintain GDAL related components
- Yewondwossen Assefa: MapServer core
- Ari Jolma: Geoinformatica stack
- Tamas Szekeres: GDAL C#, MapScript C#, Win64 packages
- Astrid Emde: Mapbender
Upcoming Work Priorities
- look into packaging (download packages directly from server...)
- mailing list setup (done)
- put initial structure into OSGeo SVN
- look into sponsors from organizations
- base structure intact by April 2008
- select a Project Steering Committee
- enter incubation as an OSGeo project
- are there any licensing issues with the proposed packages?
- existing MS4W NSIS installer script
- existing PostGIS NSIS installer script
- existing FWTools NSIS installer script
- Paul Ramsey notes that for installation in corporate environments it can be very helpful to provide MSI files, and to support non-interactive distribution.
- Markus Neteler mentioned that 6.3.0 winGRASS is now in RC1 (download) and also included in QGIS 0.9.0
Installer Creation Software
- several projects use NSIS (Quantum GIS, PostGIS, FWTools, MS4W, ...)
- would make sense to use what we know (NSIS) and share
- The Cygwin Setup program could be modified for use as OSGeo4W installer (working prototype) with OSGeo4W Packaging details and existing OSGeo4W Packages.
- MSVC 7.1 currently used (by MapServer buildkit, FWTools)
- possibly time to upgrade buildkit to 2005 (since a free version available, "Express")
- Win64 and the C# stuff will be built using VS2005
- what about MSYS support?
- have a Windows VM on telascience ??
- also should segment from massive buildkit
- include build library files (header files, similar to how FWTools does currently)
- offer as developer components??
Custom Scripting in Installer
- BAT files for sure
- Perhaps we could depend on PHP can be used for post-install custom scripting if we consider this a base requirement.
- must pick our supported version of PHP, Python, etc. to use throughout installer buildkit
As a followon to MS4W the following are expected/required:
- install into any directory
- allow user to specify port to use
- SDE, Oracle plugins
- Mapscript: PHP, Java, Python, C#, Perl
- All existing MS4W packages and utilities:
- dem tools
- Packages (user can optionally include these):
- ArcIMS Emulator
- dBox MapServer
- MapServer Itasca Demo Application
- MapServer OGC Web Services Workshop
- PHP/Mapscript Sample Application
- automatically upgrade/install packages directly from the maptools.org server
Note: Microsoft IIS web server requirement might be handled with a community wiki