Difference between revisions of "OSGeo Budget 2018"

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search
(OSGeo Projects)
 
(63 intermediate revisions by 15 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
DRAFT - budget subject to approval in december board meet ing, see [[OSGeo Budget 2017]] and [[Finance Committee#Documents]] for prior years.
+
Final budget as discussed in December F2F board meeting, see [[OSGeo Budget 2017]] and [[Finance Committee#Documents]] for prior years.
 +
 
 +
Total Approved Budget for 2018: $151,600
  
 
== OSGeo Board ==
 
== OSGeo Board ==
  
OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting an annual budget, building partner relationships and a sponsorship program.
+
OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting for an annual budget, building partner relationships, sponsorship program and code sprints.
  
 
{|class="wikitable"  border="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" rules="all" style="margin:1em 1em 1em 0; border:solid 1px #AAAAAAAA; border-collapse:collapse; font-size:95%; empty-cells:show;"  
 
{|class="wikitable"  border="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" rules="all" style="margin:1em 1em 1em 0; border:solid 1px #AAAAAAAA; border-collapse:collapse; font-size:95%; empty-cells:show;"  
Line 11: Line 13:
 
! 2017
 
! 2017
 
! 2017 Actual
 
! 2017 Actual
! 2018 Draft
+
! 2018
 
! Notes
 
! Notes
 
|-  
 
|-  
 
| Admin
 
| Admin
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 12,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 12,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 5000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,000
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,830
| style="text-align:right;" | 5000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
| Operational expenses including insurance, tax filing fees, accountant, bank fees
+
| Operational expenses including insurance, tax filing fees, accountant, bank fees. Liability insurance is covered for officers (confirmed by Mike & Jeff). Cost reduced as Mike was able to file tax returns by hand avoiding employing external accountant.
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Travel
 
| Travel
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 4,097
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 15,000
 
| Outreach focus
 
| Outreach focus
2017: reduced travel costs, some money redirected to rebranding, individual committees picked up a lot of partner travel
+
2018: expect additional travel due to geographic distribution of new directors
2018: no guidance
+
 
|-
 
|-
| Internal Events
+
| Partners and Sponsors
| style="text-align:right;" | 15,000
+
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,000
| budget moved to committees, travel grants and PSC budgets
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 +
| relationship building, attending b2b functions, foss4g/foss4ge/foss4gna/foss4g-asia breakfast meetings
 
|-
 
|-
| Outreach Events
+
| Code Sprints
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 7,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 17,500
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 20,500
| budget moved to marketing committee, geoforall, others, ...
+
| board responsible for handling code sprint requests, breakdown covered below
 
|}
 
|}
  
The board is also responsible for handling code sprint requests, covered in the OSGeo Projects section below.
+
Total Board Budget for 2018: $40,500
  
== OSGeo Comittees ==
+
== OSGeo Committees ==
  
The following committees have been formed to fufill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.
+
The following committees have been formed to fulfill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.
  
 
* Code of Conduct Committee
 
* Code of Conduct Committee
Line 55: Line 56:
 
* GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative  
 
* GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative  
 
* Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
 
* Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
* Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy  
+
* Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
 
* Open GeoScience Committee
 
* Open GeoScience Committee
 
* System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure  
 
* System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure  
Line 67: Line 68:
 
! 2017
 
! 2017
 
! 2017 Actual
 
! 2017 Actual
! 2018 Draft
+
! 2018
 
! Notes
 
! Notes
 
|-  
 
|-  
Line 73: Line 74:
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 13,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 13,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 15,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 15,000
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 6,026
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 20,000
| (pending)
+
| [[SAC:Budget#2018_.28Proposed.29|see wiki page for details]]
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Open GeoScience
 
| Open GeoScience
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 6,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 6,000
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,600
| Need: to ask the committee for current chair to act as officer
+
| [[Open_Geoscience_Committee/budget_2018|see details at Budget_2018 wiki]], Need: to ask the committee for current chair to act as officer
 +
|-
 +
| Conference
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| (email suggestion of 30k to facilitate video recording for FOSS4G global)
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Marketing
 
| Marketing
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 12,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 12,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 7,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 7,000
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,569
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 21,500
2017: budget redirected to website initiative (agreement reached w/ board and marketing comittee)
+
Please, expect NO return to prior levels to meet demand for new promotional material and increased presence at partner events:
2018: expect return to prior levels to meet demand for new promotional material and increased presence at partner events
+
* 5000 extra for website/logo/other design items to keep it current and not find ourselves again with outdated website in 4 years, which costs more time and money.
 +
* For details see: [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mUSj6o8wTltnVAUDvoev7qgvC1jipAcNuHEDyCIxiRQ/edit#gid=1577445783 OSGeo Marketing Budget status]
 
|-
 
|-
 
| GeoForAll
 
| GeoForAll
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 7,000
| notes:
+
| 2018 Planning:
2017: moved stuident sponsorship here last year, not sure how it worked out
+
* $2000 for awards ($500  at four FOSS4G events (global, regional))
2018: TBD
+
* $5000 for website development and maintenance
 
|-
 
|-
 
| UN Committee
 
| UN Committee
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 6,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 6,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000?
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 636
| style="text-align:right;" | (pending)
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
| notes:
+
| Three initiatives (open calls for Capacity Building):
2017: hackathon fundraising unsuccessful leaving UN Committee unable to use allocated budget
+
* 2 related to UN Open GIS (training package for the platform and new geospatial functionalities developed within the Initiative)
2018: TBD
+
* 1 related to Capacity Building on managing  open global geospatial data with OSGeo products
 +
* Travel support for attending UN Open GIS Initiative meetings.
 +
* To support these activities we will list the calls for capacity building as a sponsorship opportunity for 2018.
 
|-
 
|-
 
| OSGeo Incubation
 
| OSGeo Incubation
Line 114: Line 125:
 
| style="text-align:right;" | n/a
 
| style="text-align:right;" | n/a
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 7,500
| notes:
+
| $7500 requested by community projects, see below
2017: Budget was not organized for incubating or community projects.
+
2018: Expect to coordinate a request with participating projects
+
 
|}
 
|}
 +
 +
Total Committees Budget for 2018: $71,600
  
 
== OSGeo Initiatives ==
 
== OSGeo Initiatives ==
Line 129: Line 140:
 
* Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
 
* Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
 
* GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
 
* GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
* OSGeo-Live - outreach initiative providing  
+
* OSGeoLive - outreach initiative providing  
 
* Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
 
* Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
 
* Trave Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
 
* Trave Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
Line 139: Line 150:
 
! 2017
 
! 2017
 
! 2017 Actual
 
! 2017 Actual
! 2018 Draft
+
! 2018
 
! Notes
 
! Notes
 
|-  
 
|-  
Line 167: Line 178:
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
| notes:
+
| Request for admins to handle this funding for student "mobility" grants to attend events
2017: some questions on handling of money raised, additional code-in activity added
+
2018: guidance: ask if budget is useful, or if committee can be formed
+
 
|-
 
|-
| OSGeo Live
+
| OSGeoLive
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| notes:
+
| Astrid has been approved as a contact person between OSGeoLive and Marketing committee to help with the printing process. Budget should be assigned to Marketing for printing the USB sticks.
2016: budget request made for printing USB sticks, OSGeo Live / Marketing / Board unable to handle
+
2017: continues to be unclear who can print USB sticks  
+
2018: Guidance: As OSGeo Live if they can take responsibility for these requests?
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Meta CRS
 
| Meta CRS
Line 187: Line 193:
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| Long standing initiative, formed as a project to take advantage of early OSGeo infrastructure
+
| Critical group for our interoperability goal, ask participants if they need any assistance
2018: Critical group for our interoperability goal, ask participants if they need any assistance
+
 
|-
 
|-
| Trave; Grant Program  
+
| Travel Grant Program  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 20,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 20,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 8,515
| style="text-align:right;" | 20,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 13,000
| New initiative taken on by the conference committee:
+
| 10K + 10K matching - Travel grant program for foss4g 2017 a success, global travel grant program has 6k remaining funds to use. Ask conference chair for update, unclear how to handle funds raised across annual budget. +$1500 (OSGeo UK)
- 2017: Travel grant program for foss4g a success, global travel grant program as 6k remaining funds to use in 2017
+
- 2018: Guidance: Ask conference chair for update, unclear how to handle funds raised across annual budget
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Website / Rebranding
 
| Website / Rebranding
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 40,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 40,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 50,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 51,026
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| 2017: One time activity with marketing committee and OSGeo board, successful fundraising to meet budget requirement
+
| activity completed on budget in 2017, supported by sponsorship callout
 
|}
 
|}
 +
 +
Total Initiatives Budget for 2018: $23,000
  
 
==  OSGeo Projects ==
 
==  OSGeo Projects ==
Line 222: Line 227:
 
! 2017
 
! 2017
 
! 2017 Actual
 
! 2017 Actual
! 2018 Draft
+
! 2018
 
! Notes
 
! Notes
 
|-  
 
|-  
| deegree
 
| style="text-align:right;" |
 
| style="text-align:right;" |
 
| style="text-align:right;" |
 
| style="text-align:right;" |
 
|
 
|-
 
 
| deegree
 
| deegree
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
Line 263: Line 261:
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| Plans 2018: TODO
| Spending 2017: TODO
+
Plans 2018: TODO
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| GeoNetwork
 
| GeoNetwork
Line 290: Line 287:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| GeoServer
 
| GeoServer
| style="text-align:right;" |
 
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 500
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 500
| Planning was focused on sprint, $500 used for developer travel
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,000
 +
| 2018 general project expenses
 
|-
 
|-
 
| GeoTools
 
| GeoTools
Line 300: Line 297:
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
|  
+
| https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/GeoTools-Budget-Request-2018 ($1500 for QGIS to GeoServer SLD integration)
 
|-
 
|-
 
| GRASS
 
| GRASS
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,500
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,500
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,872
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,500
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,500
| Spending 2017: 0
+
| Plans 2018: [https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018 Itemized Budget 2018] (sprints, travel for developers, marketing) (Currency here: USD, 1 EUR = 1.18 USD)
Plans 2018: 3,500 (sprints and possibly assist in travel)
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| gvSIG
 
| gvSIG
Line 318: Line 314:
 
|  
 
|  
 
|-
 
|-
| MapBender
+
| Mapbender
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
Line 342: Line 338:
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
| 2017: 5000 request with 3000 going to c-tribe code sprint (see next section)
+
| 2018: TODO
2018: TODO
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Marble
 
| Marble
Line 359: Line 354:
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
| Spending 2017: TODO
+
| Plans 2018: One codesprint
Plans 2018: One codesprint
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| OSSIM
 
| OSSIM
Line 373: Line 367:
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
| Spending 2017:
+
| 2018: $2,000 moved to Code Sprint section
Plans 2018: TODO Code Sprint, Developer Meeting
+
|-
+
| pycsw
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
|
+
|-
+
| MapGuide Open Source
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
|
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| pycsw
 
| pycsw
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,080
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
| Spending 2017: TODO
+
| Fund Project Officer to reach AGM, Code sprint expenses and some promotional materials (e.g. t-shirts) ACTUAL: 400 (new logo design) + 481 (stickers) + 1100 (pycsw roadmap meeting) = 1981
Plans 2018: TODO
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| QGIS
 
| QGIS
Line 404: Line 382:
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,500
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,500
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,500
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,500
| Spending 2017: [[QGIS 2017 3rd User Conference and Developer Meeting budget| User Conference and Developer Meeting]] ([https://www.loomio.org/d/3FZePfsu/approve-qgis-code-sprint-budget-request Voting]) <br/>
+
| Plans 2018: TODO
Plans 2018: TODO
+
 
|}
 
|}
 +
 +
Total Projects Budget for 2018: $16500
 +
 +
==  Community Projects ==
  
 
Community projects, including those in incubation, are included in the incubation committee budget:
 
Community projects, including those in incubation, are included in the incubation committee budget:
Line 412: Line 393:
 
{|class="wikitable"  border="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" rules="all" style="margin:1em 1em 1em 0; border:solid 1px #AAAAAAAA; border-collapse:collapse; font-size:95%; empty-cells:show;"  
 
{|class="wikitable"  border="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" rules="all" style="margin:1em 1em 1em 0; border:solid 1px #AAAAAAAA; border-collapse:collapse; font-size:95%; empty-cells:show;"  
 
|-
 
|-
! OSGeo Project
+
! Community Project
 
! 2016
 
! 2016
 
! 2017
 
! 2017
 
! 2017 Actual
 
! 2017 Actual
! 2018 Draft
+
! 2018
 
! Notes
 
! Notes
 
|-  
 
|-  
Line 422: Line 403:
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 +
| 2018: Guidance: coordinate with incubation committee
 +
|-
 +
| PyWPS
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| Spending 2017: TODO
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
2018: Guidance: coordinate with incubation committee
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 +
| Plans 2018: 2000e Bonn code sprint
 
|-
 
|-
| PyWPS
+
| pgRouting
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 500
 +
| 2018: (TODO) traveling expenses for FOSS4G 2018
 +
|-
 +
| istSOS
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| Spending 2017: TODO
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
Plans 2018: TODO
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 +
| incubation sprint
 +
|-
 
|}
 
|}
 +
 +
Total Community Projects Budget for 2018: $7500
 +
The above funds are approved as Incubation Committee budget.
  
 
== Code Sprints ==
 
== Code Sprints ==
Line 451: Line 448:
 
! 2017
 
! 2017
 
! Actual
 
! Actual
! 2018 Draft
+
! 2018
 
! Notes
 
! Notes
 
|-
 
|-
| general code-sprint budget
+
| OSGeo annual code sprint
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 12,500
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
+
| 2017: 17,500 was budgeted across all projects
+
2018: broken out by project below
+
|-
+
|-
+
| MapServer
+
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,000 EUR
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 5,000 EUR
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
| style="text-align:right;" |  
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000*
| Paris 2016: [[Paris_Code_Sprint_2016]] ([[Paris_Code_Sprint_2016_:_Budget budget]]
+
| Bonn 2018: * prior funding available from the Vienna sprint
Dayton 2017: [[Daytona_Beach_Code_Sprint_2017|C Tribe Code Sprint]] ([https://www.loomio.org/p/B8gesODN/approve-daytona-code-sprint-funding-request-for-3000-usd Voting])
+
Bonn 2018: TODO
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| GeoServer
 
| GeoServer
Line 476: Line 462:
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
+
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
| Spending 2016:  [[GeoServer_Code_Sprint_2016]] <br/>
+
| Plans 2018: currently planning
Spending 2017: [[Java 2017 Code Sprint|Java Tribe Code Sprint]] ([https://www.loomio.org/p/LmnPEsAh/approve-geoserver-code-sprint-funding-request-for-3000-usd Voting]) <br/>
+
Plans 2018: currently planning
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| GLTN Sprint
 
| GLTN Sprint
Line 486: Line 470:
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
| Request from our strategic  partnership with UN global land tools network: ([https://www.loomio.org/d/vlbUMzcC/stdm-2017-code-sprint Voting]) <br/>
+
|  
Since it was not budgeted for up front expenses were split between outreach (because partnership) and code-sprint budget
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
| FOSS4GE Code Sprint
 
| FOSS4GE Code Sprint
Line 493: Line 476:
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" |  
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,000
 
| style="text-align:right;" | 1,000
| style="text-align:right;" | 0
+
| style="text-align:right;" |
| Unplanned request to cover food at FOSS4GE event: ([https://www.loomio.org/d/pzaRVBJX/foss4g-europe-2017-code-sprint-support Voting]), ended up being covered by event surplus.
+
|  
 +
|-
 +
| GeoTools Code Sprint
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| 4000 request withdrawn
 +
|-
 +
| GRASS Code Sprint
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 3,500
 +
|
 +
|-
 +
| PostGIS Code Sprint
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 2,000
 +
|
 +
|-
 +
| Bolsena Code Sprint
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Bolsena_Code_Sprint_2017
 +
|-
 +
| Small Code Sprints
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" |
 +
| style="text-align:right;" | 10,000
 +
| Budget available for further supporting OSGeo Code Sprints around the world
 
|}
 
|}
 +
 +
Total Code Sprint Budget for 2018: $20,500. These funds are approved as part of the board budget for 2018.
 +
 +
== Approval and Amendments ==
 +
* Budget Meeting:  https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-12-23
 +
* Amendments: From OSGeo UK
 +
** $1,500 For GeoServer PSC
 +
** $1,500 For Travel Grant Program
  
 
[[Category:Budget]]
 
[[Category:Budget]]
 
[[Category:Finance]]
 
[[Category:Finance]]

Latest revision as of 13:41, 26 December 2018

Final budget as discussed in December F2F board meeting, see OSGeo Budget 2017 and Finance Committee#Documents for prior years.

Total Approved Budget for 2018: $151,600

OSGeo Board

OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting for an annual budget, building partner relationships, sponsorship program and code sprints.

Board 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
Admin 12,000 5,000 1,830 3,000 Operational expenses including insurance, tax filing fees, accountant, bank fees. Liability insurance is covered for officers (confirmed by Mike & Jeff). Cost reduced as Mike was able to file tax returns by hand avoiding employing external accountant.
Travel 10,000 10,000 4,097 15,000 Outreach focus

2018: expect additional travel due to geographic distribution of new directors

Partners and Sponsors 0 0 1,000 2,000 relationship building, attending b2b functions, foss4g/foss4ge/foss4gna/foss4g-asia breakfast meetings
Code Sprints 7,000 17,500 10,000 20,500 board responsible for handling code sprint requests, breakdown covered below

Total Board Budget for 2018: $40,500

OSGeo Committees

The following committees have been formed to fulfill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.

  • Code of Conduct Committee
  • Conference Committee
  • GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative
  • Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
  • Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
  • Open GeoScience Committee
  • System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure
  • UN Committee - committee responsible for our participation in the UN Open GIS program


OSGeo Committees 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
SAC 13,000 15,000 6,026 20,000 see wiki page for details
Open GeoScience 0 6,000 0 5,600 see details at Budget_2018 wiki, Need: to ask the committee for current chair to act as officer
Conference (email suggestion of 30k to facilitate video recording for FOSS4G global)
Marketing 12,000 7,000 3,569 21,500 Please, expect NO return to prior levels to meet demand for new promotional material and increased presence at partner events:
  • 5000 extra for website/logo/other design items to keep it current and not find ourselves again with outdated website in 4 years, which costs more time and money.
  • For details see: OSGeo Marketing Budget status
GeoForAll 3,000 3,000 0 7,000 2018 Planning:
  • $2000 for awards ($500 at four FOSS4G events (global, regional))
  • $5000 for website development and maintenance
UN Committee 5,000 6,000 636 10,000 Three initiatives (open calls for Capacity Building):
  • 2 related to UN Open GIS (training package for the platform and new geospatial functionalities developed within the Initiative)
  • 1 related to Capacity Building on managing open global geospatial data with OSGeo products
  • Travel support for attending UN Open GIS Initiative meetings.
  • To support these activities we will list the calls for capacity building as a sponsorship opportunity for 2018.
OSGeo Incubation n/a n/a 7,500 $7500 requested by community projects, see below

Total Committees Budget for 2018: $71,600

OSGeo Initiatives

OSGeo initiatives have formed to pursue a specific short term, or long term goal. Initiatives maybe formed by a committee or the board as required. Iniativies a great way to collaborate with projects, committees and partners.

  • GeoForAll - education and research program produced in collaboration with our partners
  • FOSS4G - event series produced in collaboration with the conference committee and local chapters
  • Local Chapters - outreach initiative establishing regional OSGeo groups for direct grassroots advoacacy
  • Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
  • GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
  • OSGeoLive - outreach initiative providing
  • Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
  • Trave Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
OSGeo Initiatives 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
FOSS4G Managed by Conference Committee
Local Chapters Managed by board, no direct funding requests
Open GeoScience Managed by Open Geo Science Committee
GSoC 3,000 Request for admins to handle this funding for student "mobility" grants to attend events
OSGeoLive 0 0 0 0 Astrid has been approved as a contact person between OSGeoLive and Marketing committee to help with the printing process. Budget should be assigned to Marketing for printing the USB sticks.
Meta CRS Critical group for our interoperability goal, ask participants if they need any assistance
Travel Grant Program 20,000 8,515 13,000 10K + 10K matching - Travel grant program for foss4g 2017 a success, global travel grant program has 6k remaining funds to use. Ask conference chair for update, unclear how to handle funds raised across annual budget. +$1500 (OSGeo UK)
Website / Rebranding 40,000 51,026 activity completed on budget in 2017, supported by sponsorship callout

Total Initiatives Budget for 2018: $23,000

OSGeo Projects

OSGeo Projects each have a project steering committee, the chair of which is acknowledged as a foundation officer.

Notes:

  • Note this is a budget, representing planned spending in 2018 - actual balance available to each PSC (from fundraising, donations and sponsorship) should be considered when planning.
  • Anita has organized initial to collect feedback from all PSCs concerning planned event sponsorship requests:
OSGeo Project 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
deegree
FDO
GDAL/OGR
geomajas
GeoMOOSE 3,000 0 Plans 2018: TODO
GeoNetwork
GeoNode
GEOS
GeoServer 500 1,000 2018 general project expenses
GeoTools 3,000 https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/GeoTools-Budget-Request-2018 ($1500 for QGIS to GeoServer SLD integration)
GRASS 1,500 1,872 1,500 Plans 2018: Itemized Budget 2018 (sprints, travel for developers, marketing) (Currency here: USD, 1 EUR = 1.18 USD)
gvSIG
Mapbender
MapFish
MapGuide Open Source
MapServer 2,000 0 2,000 2018: TODO
Marble
OpenLayers 2,000 0 2,000 Plans 2018: One codesprint
OSSIM
PostGIS 0 0 3,000 2018: $2,000 moved to Code Sprint section
pycsw 2,000 1,080 2,000 Fund Project Officer to reach AGM, Code sprint expenses and some promotional materials (e.g. t-shirts) ACTUAL: 400 (new logo design) + 481 (stickers) + 1100 (pycsw roadmap meeting) = 1981
QGIS 3,000 3,500 3,500 Plans 2018: TODO

Total Projects Budget for 2018: $16500

Community Projects

Community projects, including those in incubation, are included in the incubation committee budget:

Community Project 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
ZOO-Project 2,000 2,000 3,000 2018: Guidance: coordinate with incubation committee
PyWPS 2,000 Plans 2018: 2000e Bonn code sprint
pgRouting 500 2018: (TODO) traveling expenses for FOSS4G 2018
istSOS 2,000 incubation sprint

Total Community Projects Budget for 2018: $7500 The above funds are approved as Incubation Committee budget.

Code Sprints

We have asked project teams for guidance to help set our code sprint budget:

  • please note our Code Sprint Guidelines ask for event details, budget and fundraising on your part.
  • Code sprint funding is setup to help carry funds from one event to the next allowing us to hold more code-sprints with a smaller annual budget.
  • Out priority is to share the risk with organizers allowing access to funds early to book facilities as required
  • We had requests to fund sprints that were part of larger events, these escaped our 2017 planning but were still funded to the best of our abilities
Sprint Request 2016 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
OSGeo annual code sprint 5,000 EUR 3,000 3,000 2,000* Bonn 2018: * prior funding available from the Vienna sprint
GeoServer 2,000 2,000 3,000 3,000 Plans 2018: currently planning
GLTN Sprint 3,000
FOSS4GE Code Sprint 1,000
GeoTools Code Sprint 4000 request withdrawn
GRASS Code Sprint 3,500
PostGIS Code Sprint 2,000
Bolsena Code Sprint https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Bolsena_Code_Sprint_2017
Small Code Sprints 10,000 Budget available for further supporting OSGeo Code Sprints around the world

Total Code Sprint Budget for 2018: $20,500. These funds are approved as part of the board budget for 2018.

Approval and Amendments