OSGeo Budget 2018

From OSGeo
Revision as of 13:43, 23 December 2017 by Kalxas (Talk | contribs) (OSGeo Comittees)

Jump to: navigation, search

DRAFT - budget subject to approval in december board meet ing, see OSGeo Budget 2017 and Finance Committee#Documents for prior years.

OSGeo Board

OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting an annual budget, building partner relationships and a sponsorship program.

Board 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
Admin 12,000 5,000 1,830 3,000 Operational expenses including insurance, tax filing fees, accountant, bank fees. Liability insurance is covered for officers (confirmed by Mike & Jeff).
Travel 10,000 10,000 4,097 15,000 Outreach focus

2017: reduced travel costs, some money redirected to rebranding, individual committees picked up a lot of partner travel

2018: expect additional travel due to geographic distribution of new directors

Internal Events 15,000 n/a n/a n/a budget moved to committees, travel grants and PSC budgets
Outreach Events 5,000 n/a n/a n/a budget moved to marketing committee, geoforall, others, ...
Sponsors 0 0 1,000 2,000 breakfast meetings, attending b2b function, foss4g,foss4ge,foss4gna,foss4g-asia
Partners 0 0 0 0 partners and friends, relationships with organizations. Initially planned for 2k.

Total Board Budget for 2018: 20,000$

The board is also responsible for handling code sprint requests, covered in the OSGeo Projects section below.

OSGeo Committees

The following committees have been formed to fulfill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.

  • Code of Conduct Committee
  • Conference Committee
  • GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative
  • Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
  • Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
  • Open GeoScience Committee
  • System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure
  • UN Committee - committee responsible for our participation in the UN Open GIS program


OSGeo Committees 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Notes
SAC 13,000 15,000 6,026 20,000 see wiki page for details
Open GeoScience 0 6,000 0 5,600 see details at Budget_2018 wiki, Need: to ask the committee for current chair to act as officer
Conference  ?  ? 0 0 30k for video recording at FOSS4G global?
Marketing 12,000 12,000 -> 7,000 3,569 21,500 2017: budget redirected to website initiative (agreement reached w/ board and marketing comittee)

2018: please, expect NO return to prior levels to meet demand for new promotional material and increased presence at partner events, 5000 extra for website/logo/other design items to keep it current and not find ourselves again with outdated website in 4 years, which costs more time and money. For details see: OSGeo Marketing Budget status

GeoForAll 3,000 3,000 0 7,000 notes: $2000 for awards ($500 at four FOSS4G events (global, regional)), $5000 for website development and maintenance

2017: moved student sponsorship here last year, not sure how it worked out;

UN Committee 5,000 6,000 636 10,000 notes:

2017: hackathon fundraising unsuccessful leaving UN Committee unable to use allocated budget 2018: 3 Initiatives (open calls for Capacity Building): 2 related to UN Open GIS (training package for the platform and new geospatial functionalities developed within the Initiative), 1 related to Capacity Building on managing open global geospatial data with OSGeo products. Travel support for attending UN Open GIS Initiative meetings.

OSGeo Incubation n/a n/a 7,500 notes:

2017: Budget was not organized for incubating or community projects. 2018: $7500 requested by community projects below

Total Committees Budget for 2018: $71,600

OSGeo Initiatives

OSGeo initiatives have formed to pursue a specific short term, or long term goal. Initiatives maybe formed by a committee or the board as required. Iniativies a great way to collaborate with projects, committees and partners.

  • GeoForAll - education and research program produced in collaboration with our partners
  • FOSS4G - event series produced in collaboration with the conference committee and local chapters
  • Local Chapters - outreach initiative establishing regional OSGeo groups for direct grassroots advoacacy
  • Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
  • GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
  • OSGeoLive - outreach initiative providing
  • Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
  • Trave Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
OSGeo Initiatives 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Draft Notes
FOSS4G Managed by Conference Committee
Local Chapters Managed by board, no direct funding requests
Open GeoScience Managed by Open Geo Science Committee
GSoC notes:

2017: some questions on handling of money raised, additional code-in activity added 2018: guidance: ask if budget is useful, or if committee can be formed

OSGeoLive 0 0 0 0 notes:

2016: budget request (included in Marketing budget at that time) made for printing USB sticks, OSGeo Live / Marketing / Board unable to handle 2017: No budget request made, since there was no volunteer to handle the requests 2018: Astrid has been approved as a contact person between OSGeoLive and Marketing committee to help with the printing process. Budget should be assigned to Marketing for printing the USB sticks.

Meta CRS Long standing initiative, formed as a project to take advantage of early OSGeo infrastructure

2018: Critical group for our interoperability goal, ask participants if they need any assistance

Trave; Grant Program 20,000 10,000 20,000 New initiative taken on by the conference committee:

- 2017: Travel grant program for foss4g a success, global travel grant program as 6k remaining funds to use in 2017 - 2018: Guidance: Ask conference chair for update, unclear how to handle funds raised across annual budget

Website / Rebranding 40,000 50,000 2017: One time activity with marketing committee and OSGeo board, successful fundraising to meet budget requirement

OSGeo Projects

OSGeo Projects each have a project steering committee, the chair of which is acknowledged as a foundation officer.

Notes:

  • Note this is a budget, representing planned spending in 2018 - actual balance available to each PSC (from fundraising, donations and sponsorship) should be considered when planning.
  • Anita has organized initial to collect feedback from all PSCs concerning planned event sponsorship requests:
OSGeo Project 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Draft Notes
deegree
deegree
FDO
GDAL/OGR
geomajas
GeoMOOSE 3,000 Spending 2017: TODO

Plans 2018: TODO

GeoNetwork
GeoNode
GEOS
GeoServer 500 1000 2017 Planning was focused on sprint, $500 used for developer travel

2018 general project expenses

GeoTools
GRASS 1,500 1,872 5,875 Spending 2017: Itemized Budget 2017 (as of 21 Oct 2017)

Plans 2018: Itemized Budget 2017 (sprints, travel for developers, marketing) (Currency here: USD, 1 EUR = 1.18 USD)

gvSIG
Mapbender
MapFish
MapGuide Open Source
MapServer 2,000 2017: 5000 request with 3000 going to c-tribe code sprint (see next section)

2018: TODO

Marble
OpenLayers 2,000 0 2,000 Spending 2017: TODO

Plans 2018: One codesprint

OSSIM
PostGIS 0 0 5,000 Spending 2017: 0

Plans 2018: TODO Code Sprint, Developer Meeting

pycsw 2,000 2,000 Spending 2017: Pending approval from PSC about spending ~1200 within December

Plans 2018: Fund Project Officer to reach AGM, Code sprint expenses and some promotional materials (e.g. t-shirts)

MapGuide Open Source
QGIS 3,000 3,500 3,500 Spending 2017: User Conference and Developer Meeting (Voting)

Plans 2018: TODO

Community Projects

Community projects, including those in incubation, are included in the incubation committee budget:

Community Project 2016 2017 2017 Actual 2018 Draft Notes
ZOO-Project 2,000 2,000 3,000 Spending 2017: FOSS4G Boston attendance

2018: Guidance: coordinate with incubation committee

PyWPS 2,000 Spending 2017: 0,-

Plans 2018: 2000e Bonn code sprint

pgRouting 500 Spending 2017: $0

2018: TODO

istSOS 1,500 incubation sprint

Code Sprints

We have asked project teams for guidance to help set our code sprint budget:

  • please note our Code Sprint Guidelines ask for event details, budget and fundraising on your part.
  • Code sprint funding is setup to help carry funds from one event to the next allowing us to hold more code-sprints with a smaller annual budget.
  • Out priority is to share the risk with organizers allowing access to funds early to book facilities as required
  • We had requests to fund sprints that were part of larger events, these escaped our 2017 planning but were still funded to the best of our abilities
Sprint Request 2016 2017 Actual 2018 Draft Notes
general code-sprint budget 12,500 2017: 17,500 was budgeted across all projects

2018: broken out by project below

OSGeo annual code sprint 5,000 EUR 3,000 3,000 Paris 2016: Paris_Code_Sprint_2016 (Paris_Code_Sprint_2016_:_Budget budget

Dayton 2017: C Tribe Code Sprint (Voting) Bonn 2018: TODO

GeoServer 2,000 2,000 3,000 3,000 Spending 2016: GeoServer_Code_Sprint_2016

Spending 2017: Java Tribe Code Sprint (Voting) Plans 2018: currently planning

GLTN Sprint 3,000 2017: Request from our strategic partnership with UN global land tools network: (Voting). Since it was not budgeted for up front expenses were split between outreach (because partnership) and code-sprint budget
FOSS4GE Code Sprint 1,000 0 2017: Unplanned request to cover food at FOSS4GE event: (Voting), ended up being covered by event surplus.
istSOS 1,500 code sprint
OSGeo Annual Code Sprint 5,000 OSGEo code sprint Bonn March 2018 see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:OSGeo_Code_Sprint_2018