OSGeo Budget 2018
Total Approved Budget for 2018: $151,600
OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting for an annual budget, building partner relationships, sponsorship program and code sprints.
|Admin||12,000||5,000||1,830||3,000||Operational expenses including insurance, tax filing fees, accountant, bank fees. Liability insurance is covered for officers (confirmed by Mike & Jeff). Cost reduced as Mike was able to file tax returns by hand avoiding employing external accountant.|
2018: expect additional travel due to geographic distribution of new directors
|Partners and Sponsors||0||0||1,000||2,000||relationship building, attending b2b functions, foss4g/foss4ge/foss4gna/foss4g-asia breakfast meetings|
|Code Sprints||7,000||17,500||10,000||20,500||board responsible for handling code sprint requests, breakdown covered below|
Total Board Budget for 2018: $40,500
The following committees have been formed to fulfill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.
- Code of Conduct Committee
- Conference Committee
- GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative
- Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
- Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
- Open GeoScience Committee
- System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure
- UN Committee - committee responsible for our participation in the UN Open GIS program
|OSGeo Committees||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018||Notes|
|SAC||13,000||15,000||6,026||20,000||see wiki page for details|
|Open GeoScience||0||6,000||0||5,600||see details at Budget_2018 wiki, Need: to ask the committee for current chair to act as officer|
|Conference||(email suggestion of 30k to facilitate video recording for FOSS4G global)|
|Marketing||12,000||7,000||3,569||21,500||Please, expect NO return to prior levels to meet demand for new promotional material and increased presence at partner events:
|UN Committee||5,000||6,000||636||10,000||Three initiatives (open calls for Capacity Building):
|OSGeo Incubation||n/a||n/a||7,500||$7500 requested by community projects, see below|
Total Committees Budget for 2018: $71,600
OSGeo initiatives have formed to pursue a specific short term, or long term goal. Initiatives maybe formed by a committee or the board as required. Iniativies a great way to collaborate with projects, committees and partners.
- GeoForAll - education and research program produced in collaboration with our partners
- FOSS4G - event series produced in collaboration with the conference committee and local chapters
- Local Chapters - outreach initiative establishing regional OSGeo groups for direct grassroots advoacacy
- Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
- GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
- OSGeoLive - outreach initiative providing
- Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
- Trave Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
|OSGeo Initiatives||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018||Notes|
|FOSS4G||Managed by Conference Committee|
|Local Chapters||Managed by board, no direct funding requests|
|Open GeoScience||Managed by Open Geo Science Committee|
|GSoC||3,000||Request for admins to handle this funding for student "mobility" grants to attend events|
|OSGeoLive||0||0||0||0||Astrid has been approved as a contact person between OSGeoLive and Marketing committee to help with the printing process. Budget should be assigned to Marketing for printing the USB sticks.|
|Meta CRS||Critical group for our interoperability goal, ask participants if they need any assistance|
|Travel Grant Program||20,000||8,515||10K + 10K matching||Travel grant program for foss4g 2017 a success, global travel grant program as 6k remaining funds to use. Ask conference chair for update, unclear how to handle funds raised across annual budget. +$1500 (OSGeo UK), current total 13K|
|Website / Rebranding||40,000||51,026||activity completed on budget in 2017, supported by sponsorship callout|
Total Initiatives Budget for 2018: $23,000
OSGeo Projects each have a project steering committee, the chair of which is acknowledged as a foundation officer.
- Note this is a budget, representing planned spending in 2018 - actual balance available to each PSC (from fundraising, donations and sponsorship) should be considered when planning.
- Anita has organized initial to collect feedback from all PSCs concerning planned event sponsorship requests:
|OSGeo Project||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018||Notes|
|GeoMOOSE||3,000||0||Plans 2018: TODO|
|GeoServer||500||1,000||2018 general project expenses|
|GeoTools||3,000||https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/GeoTools-Budget-Request-2018 ($1500 for QGIS to GeoServer SLD integration)|
|GRASS||1,500||1,872||1,500||Plans 2018: Itemized Budget 2018 (sprints, travel for developers, marketing) (Currency here: USD, 1 EUR = 1.18 USD)|
|MapGuide Open Source|
|OpenLayers||2,000||0||2,000||Plans 2018: One codesprint|
|PostGIS||0||0||3,000||2018: $2,000 moved to Code Sprint section|
|pycsw||2,000||1,080||2,000||Fund Project Officer to reach AGM, Code sprint expenses and some promotional materials (e.g. t-shirts)|
|QGIS||3,000||3,500||3,500||Plans 2018: TODO|
Total Projects Budget for 2018: $16500
Community projects, including those in incubation, are included in the incubation committee budget:
|Community Project||2016||2017||2017 Actual||2018||Notes|
|ZOO-Project||2,000||2,000||3,000||2018: Guidance: coordinate with incubation committee|
|PyWPS||2,000||Plans 2018: 2000e Bonn code sprint|
Total Community Projects Budget for 2018: $7500 The above funds are approved as Incubation Committee budget.
We have asked project teams for guidance to help set our code sprint budget:
- please note our Code Sprint Guidelines ask for event details, budget and fundraising on your part.
- Code sprint funding is setup to help carry funds from one event to the next allowing us to hold more code-sprints with a smaller annual budget.
- Out priority is to share the risk with organizers allowing access to funds early to book facilities as required
- We had requests to fund sprints that were part of larger events, these escaped our 2017 planning but were still funded to the best of our abilities
|OSGeo annual code sprint||5,000 EUR||3,000||3,000||2,000*||Bonn 2018: * prior funding available from the Vienna sprint|
|GeoServer||2,000||2,000||3,000||3,000||Plans 2018: currently planning|
|FOSS4GE Code Sprint||1,000|
|GeoTools Code Sprint||4000 request withdrawn|
|GRASS Code Sprint||3,500|
|PostGIS Code Sprint||2,000|
|Bolsena Code Sprint||https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Bolsena_Code_Sprint_2017|
|Small Code Sprints||10,000||Budget available for further supporting OSGeo Code Sprints around the world|
Total Code Sprint Budget for 2018: $20,500. These funds are approved as part of the board budget for 2018.
Approval and Amendments
- Budget Meeting: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-12-23
- Amendments: From OSGeo UK
- $1,500 For GeoServer PSC
- $1,500 For Travel Grant Program