OSGeo Budget 2019
Total Approved Budget for 2019: $230,150 USD
OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting for an annual budget, building partner relationships, sponsorship program and code sprints.
|Admin||3,000||Operational expenses including liability insurance, tax filing fees, accountant, bank fees.|
|Travel||22,000||Travel to main FOSS4G and F2F meeting (15k), and regional/representative events (7k)|
|Partners||2,000||Relationship building, attending b2b functions, foss4g/foss4ge/foss4gna/foss4g-asia breakfast meetings|
|Sponsors||2,000||Meetings with sponsors during events|
Total Board Budget for 2019: $29,000 USD
The following committees have been formed to fulfill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.
- Code of Conduct Committee
- Conference Committee
- GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative
- Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
- Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
- Open GeoScience Committee
- System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure
- UN Committee - committee responsible for our participation in the UN Open GIS program
|Conference||0||No operational budget requested, see TGP initiative below|
|Marketing||22,600||Marketing Committee Budget 2019|
|GeoForAll||3,000||$500 for six FOSS4G related events (coordinated by the chairs and LOCs)|
|UN Committee||11,000||UN Open GIS Initiative Meetings (one Pilot in South Sudan and one workshop in Kazakistan = 5,000) + 2 OSGeo UN Challenge (one for preparing PostGIS training material - 3,000 - and one for computing SDGs with FOSS4G and open data - 3,000). These Challenge are similar, in the modality, to those of 2018 (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Training_Material_for_UN_Open_GIS_Spiral_1; https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Training_Material_for_UN_Open_GIS_Spiral_3); https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Training_Material_for_UN_Open_GIS_OpenData|
|Incubation Committee||10,000||No operational budget requested. Requesting 3,000 per project to strictly be used towards incubation progress (managed by the incubation committee). Note all projects in incubation have access to additional funding via the OSGeo community project program.|
Total Committees Budget for 2019: $76,450 USD
OSGeo initiatives have formed to pursue a specific short term, or long term goal. Initiatives maybe formed by a committee or the board as required. Initiatives are a great way to collaborate with projects, committees and partners.
- FOSS4G - event series produced in collaboration with the conference committee and local chapters
- GeoForAll - education and research program produced in collaboration with our partners
- Incubation - mentor program for open source projects to be recognized as OSGeo project
- Local Chapters - board outreach initiative establishing regional OSGeo groups for direct grassroots advoacacy
- Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
- Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
- GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
- Travel Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
|FOSS4G||0||Managed by Conference Committee. Seed money for 2019 have already been provided in 2018. Budget will be allocated for 2020 by the board when estimate numbers become available.|
|Local Chapters||5,000||Managed by board, considering putting aside money to help establish local chapters (for logistics, legal advise, kickoff meetings rather than any sponsorship or direct funding)|
|Travel Grant Program||25.000||TGP, 50-60% for global event, rest for regional events (Previous years had a component of matching sponsor donations)|
|Events and Code Sprints||15,000||Managed by the board. Funding to help organize OSGeo Code Sprint and other events (e.g. QGIS User Conference, PostGIS Code Sprint, GRASS GIS Community Sprint etc.)|
|Community Projects||15,000||Managed by the board since community projects do not have an assigned officer to handle their budget. We have around 12-20 projects expected in 2019. Approximately budgeted for 1000$ each.|
Total Initiatives Budget for 2019: $60,000 USD
OSGeo Projects each have a project steering committee, the chair of which is acknowledged as a foundation officer with spending authority on behalf of their committee.
- We have reached out to the projects mailing list with a default suggestion of 2000 for any project that responds
- Projects with a plan may of course ask for increased funding
- This is a budget, representing planned spending in 2019 - actual balance available to each PSC (from fundraising, donations and sponsorship) may be considered when planning.
- If a project did not respond (or runs into an unforeseen expense) please contact the board throughout the year as budgets can be amended
|FDO||PSC inactive, consider as community project?|
|GDAL/OGR||5000||Renewal of Travis-CI plan for 11 parallel workers. Will also benefit to all other projects under the OSGeo github organization: homebrew-osgeo4mac, proj.4, libgeotiff, etc.|
|GeoServer||7,000||Budget focused on automating cite testing GeoServer Budget 2019|
|GRASS GIS||9,000||Budget focused on new Website redesign, details at https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019|
|gvSIG||3000||Details of the budget at GvSIG Budget 2019|
|Mapbender||2000||Details see Mapbender_Budget|
|MapGuide Open Source||PSC inactive, consider as community project?|
|MapServer||2500||MapServer OSGeo 2019 Budget|
|OpenLayers||3,000||Detailled budget: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OpenLayers_Budget_2019|
|PostGIS||3,000||In support of project and travel for committer to PostGIS and other OSGeo code sprints.|
|QGIS|| € 5,000
| QGIS Grant Programme Call 2019: bug fixing and polishing of existing features |
QGIS Server: improve WFS compliance from currently 50% to 100% (daily status reports at http://tests.qgis.org/ogc_cite/wfs_110/)
|PyWPS||3,000||PyWPS budget 2019|
Total Projects Budget for 2019: TBD
Community projects act through the board as they do not have a project officer.
- Optics *
- Pronto Raster
- Portable GIS
- TEAM Engine *
- ZOO-Project *
- istSOS *
Some incubation projects are not yet set up as part of OSGeo community:
- PROJ - MetaCRS changed to an initiative
Some guidance is offered by individual projects below:
|pgRouting||2,000||Travel expenses to FOSS4G Romania|
Total Community Projects Budget for 2019: TBD
We are considering setting aside a budget for community events in 2019:
- Supporting community building events is distinct from the development focused code-sprints below
- We are inviting community members to contact us about events (rather than try and adjust their event to fit into our code sprint guidelines)
- OSGeo is is focused on our outreach goals as an organization as such our primary contribution to events is free software and enthusiasm rather than finical, we use funding to enable our members rather than for sponsorship and visibility.
- Previously we have had requests to fund a "community day" or "community sprints" as part a larger event as distinct from sponsorship, the have been funded to the best of our ability
|QGIS Developer Meeting and User Conference||€3,000||in March in A Coruna, Spain|
We have asked project teams for guidance to help set our code sprint budget:
- Please note our Code Sprint Guidelines ask for event details, budget and fundraising on your part.
- Out priority is to share the risk with organizers allowing access to funds early to book facilities as required
- Code sprint budget is structured carry funds from one event to the next allowing us to hold more code-sprints with a smaller annual budget.
|OSGeo annual code sprint||No financial request made, event planning is well under way|
|GeoServer||2,000||Considering a CITE compliance sprint in Europe|
|PostGIS Code Sprint||-||(included in project request above)|
|Bolsena Code Sprint||No financial request made|
|Small Code Sprints||10,000|
Total Code Sprint Budget for 2019: TBD
These funds are approved as part of the board budget for 2018.
Approval and Amendments
- Budget Meeting: Board Meeting 2019-01-21
- Amendments: TBD