OSGeo Budget 2020
Total Approved Budget for 2019: $230,150 USD
Total Approved Budget for 2020: $TBD USD
OSGeo board operates according to our bylaws providing vision and direction for our foundation. The board has also taken on responsibility setting for an annual budget, building partner relationships, sponsorship program and code sprints.
|Board||2019||2019 Actual||2020 Approved||Notes|
|Admin||3,000||1,600||2,000||Operational expenses including liability insurance, tax filing fees, quickbooks, mail, IRS, bank fees.|
|Travel||22,000||14,000||20,000||Travel to main FOSS4G, F2F meeting and regional/representative events|
|Partners and Sponsors||2,000 + 2,000||415||2,000||Relationship building, attending b2b functions, foss4g/foss4ge/foss4gna/foss4g-asia breakfast meetings. Meetings with sponsors during events|
Total Board Budget for 2019: $29,000 USD
Total Board Budget for 2020: $24,000 USD
The following committees have been formed to fulfill out goals as an organization, each committee is provided a mandate, with the chair of the committee represented as an officer of our organization.
- Code of Conduct Committee
- Conference Committee
- GeoForAll - committee acting as advisory board for the GeoForAll Initiative
- Incubation Committee - committee providing hands-on support for project teams adopting open source principles and practice.
- Marketing Committee - outreach and advocacy support
- Open GeoScience Committee
- System Administration Committee - foundation infrastructure
- UN Committee - committee responsible for our participation in the UN Open GIS program
|OSGeo Committees||2019||2019 Actual||2020 Approved [Requested]||Notes|
|Annual mailchimp service|
|See Marketing Committee Budget 2020 for activities|
|There was no requests for G4A prizes in 2019.
For 2020, an activity similar to Hacktober/GCI/bug bounty is planned. This will be opened to everyone. The award for participating will be a t-shirt. $5,000 is requested for the printing and shipping of 250 t-shirts. The aim of the activity will be to encourage existing or new members to contribute to either the code or docs of OSGeo projects. This would be the higher priority activity for 2020.
|Activities of the Committe available at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/UnitedNations_Committee
Budget 2019: the expenses are less because a Field Mission in South Sudan was cancelled;
Budget 2020: 2 OSGeo Challenges (6,000) + 3,000 for the Participation at the "6th International Symposium on Partnership for Technology in Peacekeeping" 22-26 June 2020.
|No operational budget requested, funds requested strictly to be used to support team/mentor activities towards completing osgeo incubation requirements.|
Board note: Projects under incubation have to ask the Incubation committee for the part of their budget regarding incubation activities.
Total Committees Budget for 2019: $76,450 USD
Total Committees Budget for 2020: $79,912 USD
OSGeo initiatives have formed to pursue a specific short term, or long term goal. Initiatives maybe formed by a committee or the board as required. Initiatives are a great way to collaborate with projects, committees and partners.
- FOSS4G - event series produced in collaboration with the conference committee and local chapters
- GeoForAll - education and research program produced in collaboration with our partners
- Incubation - mentor program for open source projects to be recognized as OSGeo project
- Local Chapters - board outreach initiative establishing regional OSGeo groups for direct grassroots advoacacy
- Meta CRS - interoperability initiative promoting data sharing with cross project spatial reference system compatibility
- Open GeoScience - outreach and advocacy geoscience community
- GSoC - coordinate participation in google-summer-of-code and code-in activities
- Travel Grant Program - provides assistance for attending OSGeo events
|OSGeo Initiatives||2019||2019 Actual||2020||Notes|
|FOSS4G||0||0||0||Managed by Conference Committee. Seed money for 2020 will be allocated by the board when estimate numbers become available.|
|Local Chapters||5,000||2,000||0||Managed by board, considering putting aside money to help establish local chapters (for logistics, legal advise, kickoff meetings rather than any sponsorship or direct funding)|
|GSoC||0||3,909||0||Managed by board.|
|Travel Grant Program||25.000||14,813||25,000||TGP, 50-60% for global event, rest for regional events. LOC's are expected to raise matching funding from sponsors or delegates and provide free conference passes.|
|Events and Code Sprints||15,000||4,087||0||Managed by the board. Funding to help organize OSGeo Code Sprint and other events (e.g. QGIS User Conference, PostGIS Code Sprint, GRASS GIS Community Sprint etc.)|
|Community Projects||15,000||0||0||Managed by the board since community projects do not have an assigned officer to handle their budget. We have around 23-25 projects expected in 2020 (see list below). Budgeted 500$ for each project.|
Total Initiatives Budget for 2019: $60,000 USD
Total Initiatives Budget for 2020: $TBD USD
OSGeo Projects each have a project steering committee, the chair of which is acknowledged as a foundation officer with spending authority on behalf of their committee.
- We have reached out (2019) to the projects mailing list with a default suggestion of 2000 for any project that responds
- Projects with a plan may of course ask for increased funding
- This is a budget, representing planned spending in 2020 - actual balance available to each PSC (from fundraising, donations and sponsorship) may be considered when planning.
- If a project did not respond (or runs into an unforeseen expense) please contact the board throughout the year as budgets can be amended
|OSGeo Project||2019||2019 Actual||2020||Notes|
|GeoServer||7,000||4,000||5,000||GeoServer Budget 2020|
|GeoTools||2,000||2,000||5,000||GeoTools Budget Request 2020|
|GRASS GIS||9,000||1,728||9,000||6,000 to be shifted from 2019 to 2020, details at GRASS GIS Budget 2020|
|gvSIG||5,000||3,000||5,000||Details of the budget at GvSIG Budget 2020|
|Mapbender||2,000||1,691||2,000||we are fine with the $ 2.000 for 2020 and we plan to use it for our Community Meeting and Marketing|
|Marble||1,000||0||0||Has not reported to the board for 2019|
|PROJ||N/A||N/A||1,000||PROJ 2020 budget|
|QGIS||8,000||11,000||10,000||for QGIS bug fixing and WFS compliance work; the request for 2020 equals a "large sustaining membership" (€9,000 or $10,000 - equal to the larger QGIS user groups, like Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Switzerland)|
Total Projects Budget for 2019: $64,700 USD
Total Projects Budget for 2020: $TBD USD
Community projects act through the board as they do not have a project officer. Board approved $TBD for each project (see Community Projects Initiative above)
- GeoServer Client PHP
- MapGuide Open Source
- Pronto Raster
- TEAM Engine
Some incubation projects are not yet set up as part of OSGeo community:
Some guidance is offered by individual projects below:
|Community Project||2019||2019 Actual||2020||Notes|
|ZOO-Project||up to 4,000 (need specific requests to board and incubation committee)||0||4,000||https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/ZOO-Project_Budget_2020|
|pgRouting||up to 4,000 (need specific requests to board and incubation committee)||1,238||4,000||For incubation expenses (code sprint to refine details)|
|istSOS||up to 4,000 (need specific requests to board and incubation committee)||0||5,800||see: istSOS budget 2020|
|OSGeo4W||0||0||6,700||proposed by the QGIS board for keeping OSGeo4W up to date|
|pygeoapi||0||0||1000||stickers, demo hosting, incubation|
|GeoHealthCheck||0||0||500||stickers and logo|
|OWSLib||0||0||1000||attending OSGeo Code Sprint|
We are considering setting aside a budget for community events in 2020:
- Supporting community building events is distinct from the development focused code-sprints below
- We are inviting community members to contact us about events (rather than try and adjust their event to fit into our code sprint guidelines)
- OSGeo is is focused on our outreach goals as an organization as such our primary contribution to events is free software and enthusiasm rather than finical, we use funding to enable our members rather than for sponsorship and visibility.
- Previously we have had requests to fund a "community day" or "community sprints" as part a larger event as distinct from sponsorship, the have been funded to the best of our ability
|Event Request||2019||2019 Actual||2020||Notes|
|QGIS Developer Meeting and User Conference||3,000||3,000||3,000||for QGIS developer meeting Bucharest 2019|
|FOSS4G SotM Oceania Community Day||1500||1500||1500|
We have asked project teams for guidance to help set our code sprint budget:
- Please note our Code Sprint Guidelines ask for event details, budget and fundraising on your part.
- Out priority is to share the risk with organizers allowing access to funds early to book facilities as required
- Code sprint budget is structured carry funds from one event to the next allowing us to hold more code-sprints with a smaller annual budget.
|Sprint Request||2019||2019 Actual||2020||Notes|
|OSGeo Code Sprint||0||0||No financial request made yet, event planning is well under way.|
|GeoServer Code Sprint||2,000||0||0|
|PostGIS Code Sprint||-||0||0|
|GRASS GIS Community Sprint||-||1,170.30||2,000 (TBD)||details at GRASS GIS Budget 2020|
|Small Code Sprints||10,000||0||0|