- 1 Organisation
- 2 How to learn more & get involved
- 3 Documents & policies
- 4 Board of Directors
- 5 Committees & working groups
- 6 Events
- 7 History
OSGeo Oceania is governed and managed by a Board of Directors (the board). The board can delegate responsibilities to sub-committees as needed.
Its purpose is to support and grow the open geospatial community in the Oceania region, including the oversight and stewardship of a FOSS4G & SotM Conference series.
We recognise the well established Pacific Islands Chapter and work closely with them to build a strong community across our region.
How to learn more & get involved
The best way to stay up to date on what we're doing is to join our mailing lists:
- Oceania - discussion about OSGeo Oceania and the regional open geospatial community
- FOSS4G-Oceania - FOSS4G SotM Oceania conference planning
- FOSS4G-Oceania-Discuss - a place for conference delegates to get in touch with each other
There's also a lot of informal chatter on the Maptime Oceania Slack group: join here
And you can head to the conference website (link below) and join the conference updates mailing list there.
If you want to talk about how you can get involved, feel free to post on any of these lists, or drop us a line at email@example.com.
Documents & policies
- Constitution, 2019-11-07
- OSGeo Oceania Terms of Reference, 2018-12-17
- Budget 2019-2020
- Membership Policy, 2019-10-14
- Finance Committee Terms of Reference, 2019-10-03
Board of Directors
The primary responsibilities of the board are to:
- govern and manage OSGeo Oceania, with regard to finance, risk, and sustainability of the organisation
- provide oversight of the conference committee, and ongoing stewardship of the conference series
- coordinate other related outreach activities, including local FOSS4G and State of the Map events
- maintain a relationship with OSGeo and the OpenStreetMap Foundation, and maintain OSGeo & OSMF chapters in good standing
- hold accounts, domain names, and other administrative tools, data, and assets as needed
- enter into agreements with other parties as needed.
Committees & working groups
- 2019 conference committee (Daniel Silk, Matthew Fry, Dionne Hansen, Tania Hibbard-Nitz, Edoardo Neerhut, John Bryant, Dr Mairéad de Róiste, Jan Ducnuigeen, David Garcia, Emma Hain, Greg Lauer, Richard Law, Alex Leith, Dr Adam Steer)
- Finance committee (Alex Leith, Greg Lauer, Edoardo Neerhut, John Bryant)
- Conference selection committee (Greg Lauer, Conway Pene, Daniel Silk, John Bryant, Edoardo Neerhut, Martin Tomko)
- Travel Grant Program working group (John Bryant, Greg Lauer, Jonah Sullivan, David Garcia)
- Membership Working Group (Edoardo Neerhut, Adam Steer, Emma Hain, David Garcia, Daniel Silk)
Call for Expressions of Interest for FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020
We are seeking Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from the Oceania community for hosting FOSS4G SotM Oceania in 2020. This is a wonderful opportunity to bring the open geospatial community to your city, drive the growth of your local community, and contribute to a regional and global phenomenon.
EOIs need not be full proposals, as we can work with you to develop your plans further. They should at least show us that you have people committed to organising the conference, and have given some thought to the financial aspects of the event. It would be helpful if you can provide some information on potential venues. Basically, tell us why your location is a good choice for FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020. Please see the 2019 Letter of Intent for an example.
You won't be alone - we anticipate a conference organising committee that includes a mix of new and experienced people, and it's very likely that people from the 2018 and 2019 events will be interested in participating in this committee.
Strong preference will be given to a city in a country that did not host the previous year.
Additionally, see this email thread for a bit of extra background information.
EOIs should be submitted to the public OSGeo Oceania mailing list by 16th September. Please feel free to ask questions!
|2019-09-02||Accepting expressions of interest|
|2019-09-16||Deadline for expressions of interest|
|2019-09-16 - 2019-10-07||Questions & clarification period|
|2019-11-14||Public announcement at FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 in Wellington|
See the Aust-NZ wiki page for an earlier incarnation of this community. OSGeo Oceania picks up where Aust-NZ left off, and aims to build on that foundation.
Some notable open geospatial events in the region:
- 12-15 November 2019: FOSS4G SotM Oceania, Wellington 
- 20-23 November 2018: FOSS4G SotM Oceania, Melbourne 
- 17 November 2017: Australian QGIS user group meetup, Sydney 
- May 2017: QGIS Noosa Hackfest 
- 1 March 2017: NZ QGIS User Forum, Wellington 
- 23 September 2015: NZ QGIS User Conference, Wellington 
- 22 September 2015: NZ GeoNetwork Users Meetup, Wellington
- 12 May 2015: QGIS Forum, Perth
- 14 May 2015: QGIS Forum, Melbourne
- 18 April 2013: Melbourne QGIS User Conference 
- 14 March 2013: Perth QGIS User Forum/Group 
- 15-16 November 2012: FOSS4G-AU 'unconference', Brisbane 
- 20-23 October 2009: FOSS4G international conference, Sydney 
Also see the Pacific Islands Chapter page for history of events and developments in the Pacific Islands.