- The Ottawa OSGeo Chapter is working hard to celebrate the GIS-Day in November, Tuesday November 20, 2013 a success. Stay posted, and join the group if you want to get involved!
- The Ottawa OSGeo Chapter is working hard to celebrate the Software Freedom Day, on Sunday September 15 a success. You can register for the event at https://www.eventbrite.ca/event/8006907877/?ref=estw. Note that the deadline for registration is 11 September 2013 12:00 PM!
- Christy stepped down as co-chair June. Javed volunteers to co-chair with Fabien.
Next meeting: March 23, 2013 at 6:00pm. I made a reservation for 6-8 people. If you intend to come and haven't already +1'ed on the mailing list, please do so I can increase the reservation if necessary. Reservation under the name "Fabien".
Our meetups happen here: Time: 6:00 PM Location: The Fox and Feather.
283 Elgin Street Ottawa, ON K2P 1M1 (613) 233-2219
Look forward to seeing you there!
You can also view the local list posts directly from Nabble.
About Ottawa OSGEO
The OGUG (Ottawa Grass Users Group) and OMSUG (Ottawa Map Server Users Group) have had a preliminary joint meeting and decided to pursue merging and broadening our collective focus to include all OSGeo projects, catering to any interested users or developers in the Ottawa (National Capital Region) area. We are now officially designated as an OSGeo chapter.
The Ottawa MapServer Users Group (OMSUG) began meeting during the winter of 2003. With a strong local user base in Ottawa, representing many diverse users and developers, these meetings provide a unique opportunity for members to meet and discuss how MapServer is being leveraged in Ottawa and ways we can work together to grow its use in the region.
OGUG formed in June of 2005 as a network of GIS practitioners interested in incorporating or replacing their proprietary GIS workflow with Open Source GIS Solutions. OGUG aimed to be a central body of knowledge and expertise for the GRASS GIS Community in the Ottawa area.
The Ottawa Chapter of OSGeo was formed by the combination of those original two groups, but also includes active local users and developers of at LEAST the following OSGeo projects: GDAL/OGR, GRASS, Mapbuilder, MapGuide, and Mapserver.
A Powerpoint presentation reporting on our chapter's formation and first year of activity is available for download in its original full version, or the condensed form created to squeeze into a tighter time constraint.
The OSGeo Ottawa Chapter exists to provide support for local users of Open Source Geospatial software, and to promote the goals and projects of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation. The Chapter is focused on the National Capital Region around Ottawa with face to face meetings providing networking, support and educational opportunities to the local members.
- Monthly face to face meetings
- Workshops and Tutorials
- User to user support
- Job Opportunities
- Colaborative Projects
- Local Data Sets
- Supporting OSGEO projects at large
- Regional Events
- Active mailing List
- Content Rich Wiki
- Outreach to local Geo community
- Documented Activities
- 2012 - 2013 Ottawa chapter co-chairs: Christy Nieman & Fabien Ancelin
- 2011 - 2012 Ottawa chapter co-chairs: Richard Burcher & Christy Nieman
- 2010 - 2011 Ottawa chapter co-chairs: Teresa Baldwin and Philippe Vachon
- 2008 - 2010 Ottawa chapter co-chairs: Scott Mitchell and Philippe Vachon
- 2006 - 2008 Ottawa chapter co-chairs: Dave Sampson and Jeff McKenna
- 2005 - 2006 OGUG Chair: Dave Sampson
- 2003 - 2006 OMSUG Chair: Jeff McKenna
Ottawa Chapter Home: The WIKI Home Page for the Ottawa OSGEO Chapter.
Chapter Admin: Information of interest to the chapter at large concerning meetings, events, charter,etc.
MapServer: Information of interest to local MAPSERVER users (including old OMSUG content)
GRASS: Information of interest to local GRASS users (including old OGUG content)
MapBuilder: Information of interest to local MAPBUILDER users
Local Chapter Directory: Listing of companies, people, universities and government departments involved with or using OSGeo projects
Ottawa OSGEO Media Coverage: Links or snippets of media featuring activities of Ottawa OSGeo from various Sources
Data: Free and open data created by local chapter members
Tutorials: Tutorials supporting related FOSS4G projects
Related Links: A Clearing House of related links
Contributing to this wiki
How To Write WIKI
Check out WikiPedia, where else. This is a great resource for many wiki writing tips
Page Naming Conventions
Since the whole wiki uses a flat file structure instead of a directory structure there is a need to organize the pages relavant to our chapter's activities. To get this wiki area started I chose a simple page structure format
PREFIX: To keep the site clean and to make it easier to locate all WIKI pages connected with the Ottawa Chapter please note the appropriate prefix. Use this prefix when creating new pages.
- Ottawa_Chapter_(Project Area)_(Topic)_(Sub Topic)
Additionally you might want to consider adding [[Category:Ottawa Chapter]] to all pages tagging them for the Wiki Categories. Then add that category to the [[Category:Local Chapters]] and have a category of categories. Or just go have some more beer.