PDX OSGEO 20110928 Minutes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Location: OpenSourcery in NW Portland & Across the street afterwards
Regular meeting business
(e.g., Upcoming GIS events/conferences, next meeting presenters or topics, discussions, updates, etc.)
- FOSS4G, SotM, and other reports. Discussions on...
- routing talks
- gamification of maps and data collection (Skobler). Utilized OSM data.
- GIS going to an IT field; education curriculum not going to that. Job hires versus educational experience.
- Mini FOSS4G in North America; possibly piggy-backing off another conference.
- OSGeo discuss announce -
- we need an announcement.
- Mail list thread
- OSGeo Annual Report -
- need annual report for the OSGeo journal.
- Mail list thread too
- WhereCamp around corner. Stack demo? Other involvement.
- Announcements made to PDXOSGEO group, GIS_Info, and other groups.
- Wherecamp folks need onsite volunteers, money for food, help with coordinating food, and help with coordinating games for Sunday. Also lots and lots of publicity, plus everyone should register http://wherecamppdx11.eventbrite.com/
- Volunteers on Oct 8th Christian, Eli, Tanya–
- GeoCeg will contribute $100 towards coffee – Contact Rob <shift-2> denner.us. Thanks GeoCeg!
- Collective agency – possible space for Friday activities…
- Possible lists to circulate on – CUGOS, GIS_info, GPL, ORURISA, PSU lists, OSU lists,
- GIS In Action call for presentations - this Fall but will be hosted in Spring, Jantzen Beach.
- Put in for papers, PDX-OSGEO has been well represented in the past.
- Please submit an abstract along with a brief biography by November 18, 2011 to doug <shift-2> davidsmithmapping.com and Bob.Pool <shift-2> clark.wa.gov. Abstracts submitted after this date are welcome, but those submitted by the deadline will be given first consideration in the program.
- Nov and Dec meetings?
- Rob mentioned meeting with Seattle meetings.
- Winter coders' social instead of December meeting
Let it be known: Rob Denner bought beer.
- Jonathan Karon (fightingmonk) is coming to present his OSBridge 2011 session
- Awesome stuff
- Cool animations
- Some tricks to convert DOGAMI modeled wave from binary to ASCII
- We need to do a better job coordinating meeting time and space
- Thinking more than a few days in advance would be ideal
- Collective Agency also a venue option (NW 6th and Everett; contact: Audrey E).
- Mississippi Pizza: Percy’s band is playing tomorrow night
Remaining schedule (every fourth Wednesday)
- October 26th (Lev Tyspin from ThinkShout is coming to talk about some Drupal mapping work they've done).
- need to coordinate with Opensourcery earlier this time. We have a speaker lined up already. Also confirm our meeting time as 6pm.
- November 30th
- possible shift to 3rd and coordinate/visit CUGOS in Seattle; Rob has a house to stay at.
- December 28th
- (Winter Coder Social is in Dec, could be an alternative)
- Minutes are throughout the agenda as italic