Difference between revisions of "PDX OSGEO Local Chapter Recognition"
m ("...particularly by new users..." by inserted)
m (moved OSGEO Local Chapter recognition to PDX OSGEO OSGEO Local Chapter Recognition: add proper namespacing)
Revision as of 22:20, 25 October 2011
- Name (once we decide, I'll start the page on the OSGeo wiki):
- Region of group.
- Match OR-URISA (Oregon and SW Washington). Cugos gave us Oregon so we are clear of overlap (some rounding needed).
- "OSGeo Chapter" should prepare a mission and objectives indicating
the scope of the planned chapter (geographic or linguistic extent for instance).
- >With thanks and apologies to CUGOS (http://cugos.org/), here is a rough initial draft.
The OSGeo PDX-OSGEO Chapter strives to promote the local use of Open Source Geospatial software, particularly by new users in the Oregon/SW Washington area. The group hosts monthly meetings providing presentation, discussion, and educational opportunities and focuses on materializing an annual Open Source GIS unconference.
- “OSGeo Chapter” should propose an official representative to liaise
with the OSGeo Board. If accepted by the board, the representative will be an officer of OSGeo.
Percyswitched to Eli
- List of initial members.
- Opt-in. Darrell will use google form to have people sign up. We thought opt in was less evil than opt out.
- Email list, website, wiki, etc.
- For now stay with google groups for email
- Darrell registered pdxosgeo.org
- Here is the wiki
- We considered switching to OSGEO mailman infrastructure, however, think that we may lose email list members.
- Send announcement email to OSGeo-Discuss list
- The local Open Source GIS group that meets in Portland is turning 4 years old. We are finally officially becoming an OSGeo Local Chapter after being an unofficial chapter for years. We are a geographically based chapter welcoming members from all of Oregon and small parts of Southwestern Washington. We meet once a month in Portland (usually not November or December) on the 4th Wednesday of every month. Once a year we put on an unconference (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/PDX-OSGEO#2011_Unconference) We often coordinate with CUGOS, http://cugos.org/, the local chapter to the the North. We are also also recognized as an ORURISA Special Interest Group (http://orurisa.org/PDXOSGIS). Check us out on the wiki, http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/PDX-OSGEO or join our email list http://groups.google.com/group/pdx-osgis
- Ask OSGeo Board of Director for official recognition as a local chapter